Nov 23, 2022
Yoga with Jason"We choose to make it hard because we can observe pain and adversity with a calm and equanimous mind." -- Gigit
Location : Cebu City, Philippines
Type of Class: Pranayama Mash-up
Pranayama-focused class with asana being a mash-up of traditional yoga, HIIT, calisthenics, adhitthana, isometrics, and core strengthening...more on other classes offered
Teaching a Teacher
Jason is one of the strongest yoga teachers in Cebu. We had been doing yoga together since 2013, having Veer as our teacher and doing our teaching rounds with Cebu's yoga studios. It is flattering and validating that he would pay me to conduct a yoga class for him. I now have to develop an extreme sequence commensurate to his level without killing me first.
An Extreme 90-Min Class
His aim was more on pranayama. But in order to maximize energy activation through pranayama, the asana must be intense enough to have an equitable carbon dioxide-oxygen exchange. I opted to design a mash-up (HIIT, ABS, calisthenics, Point-of-Failure, isometrics) of high-intensity sets interspersed with pranayama, kumbhaka, bandha, mudra and mental visualization. This is the kind of sequence I would do if I want to push my boundaries. I don't always push myself to my limits nowadays, but every once in a while, an occasion would call for it. This is one such.
I Class Introduction12:36 - 12:41 = 5 mins
This 90-min class will consist of full-body stretching, sun salutations to warm-up, followed by interspersing sets of asana/pranayama.
The asana will borrow on calisthenics to develop strength, muscle mass and definition. It will also borrow on HIIT to develop cardiovascular strength and endurance. This will fortify our physical heart. We also focus on core because core is a load-bearing structure and nearly the fulcrum for most energy transfers. We also do adhitthana holds to develop a strong mind.
An array of pranayama follows (Wim Hof, Bhastrika, Kapalabhati, Nadi Shodan).
Vipassana meditation follows to sharpen our minds, keeping it awake, alert and vigilant.
We chant OM to close the class.
II Stretching12:41 - 01:11 = 30 mins
III Surya Namaskar Burpee01:11 - 01:26 = 15 mins
IV Movement / Pranayama 01:00 pm01:26 - 02:20 = 54 mins
V Pranayama / Kumbhaka / Bandha02:20 - 02:25 = 5 mins
VI Meditation02:25 - 02:41 = 16 mins
VII OM chanting02:41 - 02:44 = 3 mins
We were already going over 2-hours of hard-pushing. I had to skip some of the sets I've designed otherwise it would have taken us 3 hours. The power-surge from pranayama was such that I didn't even feel tired after the session. It was a good session where boundaries were pushed. I look forward to more such classes, but it's hard to find a student as strong and unwavering as Jason.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
(Nov 24, 2022) Indeed it was a powerful class. I had to do extra handstand and calisthenics practice in the evening until 11pm to exhaust my energy! It boosted my power! Thank you Git!!!
Pranayama for Mikko's Marathon(Nov 27, 2022) One day prior to Mikko's departure for Singapore for a marathon run, I conducted an intense pranayama session for that uncanny podium-finish advantage...more »»
More on Cebu City:
About Cebu City
Cebu City Google Map
Cebu City, Philippines
Cebu City to Camotes Island
Cebu City to Camotes Islands
- via Consuelo - from Cebu City, take the northbound bus passing through Danao and get off at the Danao Port. At the Port, take a Jomalia Shipping boat for Consuelo (San Francisco, Camotes), P220/pax, a/c, 2 hours, daily trip - 5:30am, 7:00am (special trip), 8:30am, 12:00 noon (express), 2:30pm, 5:30pm and 9:00pm (express, Fri/Sat/Sun only).
Camotes Islands to Cebu City
- Poro - Cebu City (fastest and most direct) - go to Poro and take the 8am or 5pm Ocean Jet to Pier One in Cebu City, P380/pax/aircon, 2 hours
- Consuelo - Danao - Cebu City - go to Consuelo (San Francisco) and take the Jomalia Shipping boat to Danao, P220/pax, a/c, 2 hours, daily trip - 5:30am, 7:00am (special trip), 8:30am, 12:00 noon (express), 2:30pm, 5:30pm and 9:00pm (express, Fri/Sat/Sun only). From Danao, take the Ceres Bus to Cebu City
Cebu City to Dumaguete
Cebu City to Dumaguete by Boat
- George and Peter Lines - Mon/Thur/Sat/Sun 10pm, (035)225.4337, 0922.557.1023
- Oceanjet - via Tagbilaran, daily 6am, email@example.com, 0918.898.2188
- Cokaliong - Mon/Tue/Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat 7pm, Sun 12pm, 6 hours, (035)225.3599
Cebu City to Dumaguete via Liloan (bus, boat, jeep, tricycle)
- Cebu City South Terminal - take the southbound Ceres bus to Liloan, P200, 5 hours
- Liloan - the bus drops you off at the Liloan Port where you board the Fastcraft to Sibulan, Negros Oriental, P62, 30 mins
- Sibulan - at the Sibulan Port, the jeeps wait for Fastcraft passengers to take them to the public market in Dumaguete, P12, 30 mins.
- Public Market - at the market, you can take any tricycle to your hotel, P8 for short trips
Cebu City to Tagbilaran, Bohol
Cebu City to Tagbilaran, Bohol
- Weesam Express - Pier 4, departs 9:00 AM, 2:00 PM, 6:30 PM, 2 hours
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - Pier 1, departs 6-7-8-9:20-10:40-11:40AM, 1-2-4:20-6:35PM, 2 hours
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63 932 8734 885 / +63 922 8572 300
- SuperCat (2GO) - Pier 1, departs 08:15-13:30-15:10-18:00-19:40
+63 32 233 7000
- Lite Ferries - Pier 1, departs daily 12:30pm, 10:00pm and 1:00pm (Mon, Wed, Sat)
Standard (Lying) Php 150, Tourist (Lying Aircon) Php 340
+63 977.822.5483 / +63 998.999.5483 / +63 925.347.5483 / (032)255-1721 to 26 / (032)414-9001 to 03
firstname.lastname@example.org / www.liteferries.com
More on Cebu Province:
Suggested Destinations in Cebu
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | ALL BLOGS