Cambodia has been the seat of the once powerful Khmer Empire with its capital in Seam Reap, site of the world-famous Angkor Wat. The reach and expanse of this empire can only be described by the articulated, majestic and grandeur of Angkor Wat - taken over by the dense jungle for 900 years until its rediscovery in 1860 by a French naturalist in search of exotic insects.
Far from its glory days, Cambodia has suffered a genocide in the early 1970s that wiped out nearly 20% of its best and brightest. The ultra-communist Khmer Rouge headed by the ruthless Pol Pot reigned over Cambodia's darkest age.
Now, almost 50 years since its liberation, Cambodians continue to feel its pain as though the genocide just happened recently. Nearly every event and activity is a remembrance of what took place.
Cambodia Blogs by TheLoneRider
- Battambang Revisited May 18-24, 2015
- Vipassana 7: Serving in Battambang May 5-17, 2015
- Exploring Battambang Sep 28 - Oct 2, 2014
- Umbrella Monk Oct 1, 2014
- Big Top Circus at Battambang Sep 29, 2014
- Riding the Bamboo Train Sep 28, 2014
- The Mountain Temples of Phnom Sampeuv Sep 28, 2014
- Vipassana 6: Serving at Battambang, Cambodia Sep 17-28, 2014
- Coming Back to Kampot, Cambodia Apr 12-28, 2015
- Tour of Bokor Mountain, Kampot, Cambodia Nov 1, 2014
- Exploring the Pepper Capital of Asia, Kampot Oct 26-Nov 4, 2014
- Arcadia Backpackers - Into the Heart of Backpacker Culture Oct. 26-28, 2014
- Fried Crab on Kampot Pepper Sauce in Kep, Cambodia Nov 2, 2014
- Island Life in Koh Rong Island Oct. 24-26, 2014
- Stopover in Phnom Penh May 25, 2015
- The Killing Fields of Phnom Penh, Cambodia Nov 5-6, 2014
- Exploring Phnom Penh, Cambodia Nov 4-9, 2014
- 19 days in Siem Reap...Thank you and Goodbye Apr 9, 2016
- One Day Yoga-Pranayama-Meditation Retreat at Angkor Zen Mar 30, 2016
- Catching the Phare Circus in Siem Reap Mar 29, 2016
- Yoga at Ahimsa Yoga Academy (Siem Reap) Mar 27, 2016
- Pak Chong (Thailand) En Route to Siem Reap (Cambodia) Mar 20-21, 2016
- Exploring Angkor Wat Oct 5, 2014
- Roaming Around Siem Reap Oct. 2-6, 2014
- Overnight in Siem Reap Sep 16-17, 2014
- Exploring Sihanoukville, Cambodia Oct 20-24, 2014
KOH RONGKOH RONG
PHNOM PENHPHNOM PENH
SIEM REAPSIEM REAP
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | ALL BLOGS