Feb 18, 2014
Joan Hyman Yoga Workshop by YogaHub
Dates: 2:00pm-4:30pm, Feb 18-19, 2014
Description: Inversion Workshop / Ashtanga Class, Master Workshop
Location : Cebu Country Club, Cebu City, Philippines
Fees: P1000/day or P1800/2days
Joan Hyman is a Los Angeles-based Ashtanga practitioner who travels the world conducting yoga workshops, teacher-training and retreats. She has been to Mysore, India to study with Pattahbi Jois and his grandson Sharath Rangaswamy, both pillars in the world of Ashtanga Yoga. This is Joan's second time to conduct a workshop in Cebu through YogaHub. Joan is E-RYT Yoga Alliance Certified, Yogaworks Certified, with a Bachelors of Science in Exercise Science from Temple University, New York.
The first day was all about inversions - handstand, to be more specific. She explained a few ideas on anatomy that aids in stabilizing the pose (a handstand is also a mudra). Since it was a full-pack class, there wasn't enough time to adjust everyone so we went into partnering to make the assists. The thing about handstand is that it's not something you learn to go into by attending a workshop. It takes more than a year of pratice to develop strength, balance, concentration and coordination to achieve this. But every little tip and advice adds up to make it finally happen to those who persevere.
The second day was a mix to Ashtanga-led class interspersed with a workshop-style of getting established into the poses. My pre-existing injury acted up causing me not to finish this session. She made a dash to catch her flight immediately after the class - good thing, photo-ops were done prior to the session.
YogaHub has been the most consistent yoga studio in Cebu to invite international teachers to conduct yoga workshops and teacher-training to practioners who would like to deepen their practice. With the beautiful and indefatigable Jenifer Martinez on the reins of YogaHub, the studio has been the most visible presence within the yoga community for the number of classes it holds (about 63 classes per week) and the diversity of yoga disciplines they offer (Ashtanga, Vinyasa, Hot Yoga, Pre Natal, Yin and Beginners Yoga). They even offer free Sunday yoga to anyone who simply wants to experience yoga before committing themselves to the practice.
Wouldn't it be nice to be traveling around the world while doing what you do best? Being an international yoga teacher is a dream to many. Joan Hyman is living it.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
Yoga Immersion with Veer (Vaibhav Rana)(Mar 5, 2014) It's a common adage that when the student is ready, the teacher will come. Such is the case with Veer. I came to a point in my yoga practice where the road forked in many different directions - one of these roads lead to Veer (Vaibhav Rana)...more »»
Ashtanga Yoga Blogs
- Tirumalai Krishnamacharya Oct 5, 2016
- Yoga with James Fritz Freire at Holiday Gym and Spa Oct 1, 2016
- Mysore Ashtanga with Laruga at Ubud Yoga Center July 15, 2016
- Joan Hyman Yoga Workshop by YogaHub Feb 18, 2014
- Demystefying Ashtanga Yoga Feb 13, 2014
- Ashtanga Yoga with Bela Lipat Jul 29, 2006
More on Cebu City:
About Cebu City
Cebu City Google Map
Cebu City, Philippines
Cebu City to Camotes Island
Cebu City to Camotes Islands
- via Consuelo - from Cebu City, take the northbound bus passing through Danao and get off at the Danao Port. At the Port, take a Jomalia Shipping boat for Consuelo (San Francisco, Camotes), P220/pax, a/c, 2 hours, daily trip - 5:30am, 7:00am (special trip), 8:30am, 12:00 noon (express), 2:30pm, 5:30pm and 9:00pm (express, Fri/Sat/Sun only).
Camotes Islands to Cebu City
- Poro - Cebu City (fastest and most direct) - go to Poro and take the 8am or 5pm Ocean Jet to Pier One in Cebu City, P380/pax/aircon, 2 hours
- Consuelo - Danao - Cebu City - go to Consuelo (San Francisco) and take the Jomalia Shipping boat to Danao, P220/pax, a/c, 2 hours, daily trip - 5:30am, 7:00am (special trip), 8:30am, 12:00 noon (express), 2:30pm, 5:30pm and 9:00pm (express, Fri/Sat/Sun only). From Danao, take the Ceres Bus to Cebu City
Cebu City to Dumaguete
Cebu City to Dumaguete by Boat
- George and Peter Lines - Mon/Thur/Sat/Sun 10pm, (035)225.4337, 0922.557.1023
- Oceanjet - via Tagbilaran, daily 6am, email@example.com, 0918.898.2188
- Cokaliong - Mon/Tue/Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat 7pm, Sun 12pm, 6 hours, (035)225.3599
Cebu City to Dumaguete via Liloan (bus, boat, jeep, tricycle)
- Cebu City South Terminal - take the southbound Ceres bus to Liloan, P200, 5 hours
- Liloan - the bus drops you off at the Liloan Port where you board the Fastcraft to Sibulan, Negros Oriental, P62, 30 mins
- Sibulan - at the Sibulan Port, the jeeps wait for Fastcraft passengers to take them to the public market in Dumaguete, P12, 30 mins.
- Public Market - at the market, you can take any tricycle to your hotel, P8 for short trips
Cebu City to Tagbilaran, Bohol
Cebu City to Tagbilaran, Bohol
- Weesam Express - Pier 4, departs 9:00 AM, 2:00 PM, 6:30 PM, 2 hours
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - Pier 1, departs 6-7-8-9:20-10:40-11:40AM, 1-2-4:20-6:35PM, 2 hours
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63 932 8734 885 / +63 922 8572 300
- SuperCat (2GO) - Pier 1, departs 08:15-13:30-15:10-18:00-19:40
+63 32 233 7000
- Lite Ferries - Pier 1, departs daily 12:30pm, 10:00pm and 1:00pm (Mon, Wed, Sat)
Standard (Lying) Php 150, Tourist (Lying Aircon) Php 340
+63 977.822.5483 / +63 998.999.5483 / +63 925.347.5483 / (032)255-1721 to 26 / (032)414-9001 to 03
firstname.lastname@example.org / www.liteferry.com
Cebu City to Siquijor by Boat, via Tagbilaran
Cebu City to Siquijor, via Tagbilaran
Cebu City to Siquijor by Bus, via Liloan (Santander)(as of Jan 2023)
There is only one bus plying this route - Sugbo Urban. Tourist class coach, a/c, comfortable, Sun-Fri (these dates keep changing). P420 for bus, P275 for ferry to Liloan. Leaves Cebu City (South Bus Terminal) at 8 pm (Sundays 1 am), heads south to Liloan (Santander), takes the ferry to Larena Port, Siquijor, docks around 5 am, makes a clockwise roundtrip around Siquijor Island - Larena, Enrique Villanueva, Maria, Lazi (stops at Lazi market for breakfast and leaves 6:50 am), San Juan, Siquijor (arrives 8am, P50 from Lazi to Siquijor Poblacion) and catches the 1pm ferry at Larena Port for Liloan, Cebu and resumes its land route. Arrives Cebu City 10 pm.
Sugbo Urban is the cheapest and most convenient way because when it reaches Larena Port (Siquijor), it continues its trip around the island (clockwise) along the circumferential road, passing through - Enrique Villanueva, Maria, Lazi, San Juan, Siquijor...and back to Larena. It spares you the cost of hiring a tricycle or habal-habal which charges exhorbitant fares. Besides, it's a long trip to the other side of the island to be taking by tricycle.
Cebu CityCEBU CITY
More on Cebu Province:
Suggested Destinations in Cebu
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 1996 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS