Dec 15, 2013
108 Sun Salutations for Typhoon Yolanda Victims
Location : Jaime's Farm, Busay (near Tops), Cebu City, Philippines
Fee: donation-based - all proceeds to go to Rebuilding Leyte/Adopt-a-Family
Event: The Power of 108: An Offering of Sun Salutations
To alleviate the hardship of Typhoon Yolanda victims in Leyte, yoga instructors, Arlien Alcoseba Buhain, Jeanne Torrefranca, Anne Dala and Jang Samson, hatched a fund-raising event for the Rebuilding Leyte/Adopt-a-Family programs. There were 9 in attendance, yoga teachers and practitioners coming from different studios and yoga centers in Cebu.
The event was held at the picturesque Jaime's Farm in Busay. Tucked serenely within the rolling hills of Busay, the farm is a landscaping marvel complete with an expansive pond graced by Lotus flowers and Koi. The Bali-style house where the offering took place rests in the middle of the pond. There were orchids of different colors hanging from the beams. The dining table was a solid piece of hardwood, maybe 15 feet long - the longest I've ever seen. The house was tastefully designed.
|We make our daily yoga practice more meaningful by offering this particular intention as we do 108 sun salutations. -- Arlien Alcoseba Buhain|
108 Surya Namaskar A
The intent is to perform 108 sun salutations (Surya Namakaskar A). Why 108? This number has long been considered a sacred number in Hinduism and yoga. Mala beads is a string of 108 beads. Doing 108 sun salutations is the same as doing a yoga mala. There are 108 canonical Upanishads and 108 marma points (sacred spaces in the body).
Performing Surya Namaskar A is one of the best warm-ups in yoga. Nearly all the major muscle groups are stretched out, with the Downward Facing Dog where you hold the pose for 5 deep breaths. But to do it repeatedly 108 times? At some point, the shoulder muscles were fatigued. Since I was doing a full push-up from Upward Dog to Downward Dog, a Tricep strand started burning. While enduring the pain, I was thinking...if I push through...would that be resolve or ego? My mind was beginning to toy with me. I had to stop and miss 3 vinyasas to allow my body to recover - only 105 vinyasas for me.
|I'd been teaching yoga for over 10 years now. I realized that unless I devote myself in the service of others, all these asanas and pranayamas are nothing but ego. -- Tana Madrigal (Sep 9, 2007)|
The difficulty was rewarded by a breakfast spread fit for a king and queen - mangoes, home-made tablea, puto maya, oranges, home-made salsa on tortilla, mandarins, rice lugaw, etc. Breaking bread with everyone on the long table by the pond was an experience. We shared our vibe, our smiles and our goodwill while the moment lasted.
108 Surya Namaskar(s) was a first for me. It was physically challenging, but tempered by the a noble intention. Moreover, it was another occasion for me to pursue my practice in the company of people I increasingly feel resonance with. Of course, doing all that within the confines of a Shangrila-like Bali-style house by the pond on top of Busay's rolling hills added dimension to the total experience. In my parlance, the whole experience was another "coming upon a proverbial waterfall".
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Thank you for organizing this, thank you Dr. Jean for finding this wonderful place and thank you everyone for your positive presence in making this event a memorable experience!
Leave a comment?
The following people like this:
(Dec 15, 2013) I wondered about you, with your double chaturangas during the 108 sun salutations. Ouch! LOL
Next Yoga story:
More on Cebu City:
About Cebu City
Cebu City Google Map
Cebu City, Philippines
Cebu City to Camotes Island
Cebu City to Camotes Islands
- via Consuelo - from Cebu City, take the northbound bus passing through Danao and get off at the Danao Port. At the Port, take a Jomalia Shipping boat for Consuelo (San Francisco, Camotes), P220/pax, a/c, 2 hours, daily trip - 5:30am, 7:00am (special trip), 8:30am, 12:00 noon (express), 2:30pm, 5:30pm and 9:00pm (express, Fri/Sat/Sun only).
Camotes Islands to Cebu City
- Poro - Cebu City (fastest and most direct) - go to Poro and take the 8am or 5pm Ocean Jet to Pier One in Cebu City, P380/pax/aircon, 2 hours
- Consuelo - Danao - Cebu City - go to Consuelo (San Francisco) and take the Jomalia Shipping boat to Danao, P220/pax, a/c, 2 hours, daily trip - 5:30am, 7:00am (special trip), 8:30am, 12:00 noon (express), 2:30pm, 5:30pm and 9:00pm (express, Fri/Sat/Sun only). From Danao, take the Ceres Bus to Cebu City
Cebu City to Dumaguete
Cebu City to Dumaguete by Boat
- George and Peter Lines - Mon/Thur/Sat/Sun 10pm, (035)225.4337, 0922.557.1023
- Oceanjet - via Tagbilaran, daily 6am, email@example.com, 0918.898.2188
- Cokaliong - Mon/Tue/Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat 7pm, Sun 12pm, 6 hours, (035)225.3599
Cebu City to Dumaguete via Liloan (bus, boat, jeep, tricycle)
- Cebu City South Terminal - take the southbound Ceres bus to Liloan, P200, 5 hours
- Liloan - the bus drops you off at the Liloan Port where you board the Fastcraft to Sibulan, Negros Oriental, P62, 30 mins
- Sibulan - at the Sibulan Port, the jeeps wait for Fastcraft passengers to take them to the public market in Dumaguete, P12, 30 mins.
- Public Market - at the market, you can take any tricycle to your hotel, P8 for short trips
Cebu City to Tagbilaran, Bohol
Cebu City to Tagbilaran, Bohol
- Weesam Express - Pier 4, departs 9:00 AM, 2:00 PM, 6:30 PM, 2 hours
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - Pier 1, departs 6-7-8-9:20-10:40-11:40AM, 1-2-4:20-6:35PM, 2 hours
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63 932 8734 885 / +63 922 8572 300
- SuperCat (2GO) - Pier 1, departs 08:15-13:30-15:10-18:00-19:40
+63 32 233 7000
- Lite Ferries - Pier 1, departs daily 12:30pm, 10:00pm and 1:00pm (Mon, Wed, Sat)
Standard (Lying) Php 150, Tourist (Lying Aircon) Php 340
+63 977.822.5483 / +63 998.999.5483 / +63 925.347.5483 / (032)255-1721 to 26 / (032)414-9001 to 03
firstname.lastname@example.org / www.liteferry.com
Cebu City to Siquijor by Boat, via Tagbilaran
Cebu City to Siquijor, via Tagbilaran
Cebu City to Siquijor by Bus, via Liloan (Santander)(as of Jan 2023)
There is only one bus plying this route - Sugbo Urban. Tourist class coach, a/c, comfortable, Sun-Fri (these dates keep changing). P420 for bus, P275 for ferry to Liloan. Leaves Cebu City (South Bus Terminal) at 8 pm (Sundays 1 am), heads south to Liloan (Santander), takes the ferry to Larena Port, Siquijor, docks around 5 am, makes a clockwise roundtrip around Siquijor Island - Larena, Enrique Villanueva, Maria, Lazi (stops at Lazi market for breakfast and leaves 6:50 am), San Juan, Siquijor (arrives 8am, P50 from Lazi to Siquijor Poblacion) and catches the 1pm ferry at Larena Port for Liloan, Cebu and resumes its land route. Arrives Cebu City 10 pm.
Sugbo Urban is the cheapest and most convenient way because when it reaches Larena Port (Siquijor), it continues its trip around the island (clockwise) along the circumferential road, passing through - Enrique Villanueva, Maria, Lazi, San Juan, Siquijor...and back to Larena. It spares you the cost of hiring a tricycle or habal-habal which charges exhorbitant fares. Besides, it's a long trip to the other side of the island to be taking by tricycle.
Cebu CityCEBU CITY
More on Cebu Province:
Suggested Destinations in Cebu
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS