Jun 30, 2015
Cebu Yoga at Studio 108
Location : Paseo Arcenas, 6000 Banawa, Cebu City, Philippines
Website: Yoga by Gigit
Ashtanga by Arlien
Arlien is one of the most devout Ashtanga practitioners in Cebu, having made the trip all the way to India to deepen her practice. I joined her evening class together with Jeanne, Honey and met new faces as well, mostly the hardcores of Ashtanga. I had my start in Ashtanga with morphing views about the practice over the years. Now, I see it as a foundational cornerstone for a solid yoga practice but no longer the end-all and be-all of yoga. When I do something healthy, or if I need to shape-up, I default to Ashtanga for its therapeutic merits.
Vinyasa Class with Jeanne
Jeanne is probably the hub for yoga in Cebu. She's involved in much of the yoga events happening in the city. Most of the teachers know her, and she knows most of them as well. Even before the yoga scene in Cebu exploded, Jeanne was already deep in her practice. Attending her morning Vinyasa class was a perfect way to start the morning. With some promising newbies, it was a gentle class and a good transition for me to start my first class at Studio 108.
One-on-One First-Timer Class with Lady
It was Lady's first time to do yoga and she was the only one in the class. That was a good thing. I abandoned my prepared sequence and instead, focused on philosophy, alignment and the general dos and donts to set the paradigm on her long-term practice, making it a blend of asana, concept, workshop and practical life application. Increasingly, I seem to integrate all that into all my classes, up to a permissible point. My yoga is not static, continuously refining, innovating and finding ways to implement new and exciting concepts and philosophy.
TRX by Coach Mel
TRX has been gaining in popularity as a workout system of choice amongst people who enjoy pushing the envelope. I took my very first TRX class with Coach Mel - just the basics. Since most of the exercises require a pulling motion, I feel it's a great complement to yoga. Yoga has no asana that involves pulling - just pushing (chaturanga, arm balancing, etc.). Thus, the back muscles and biceps are not developed directly. With TRX, the pulling component is added, making the two of them (yoga and TRX) a winning combo. Moreover, the TRX exercises are readily translated into yoga by incorporating the here-and-now mindfulness and the breath/movement - one motion, one breath. I was the only one in the TRX class doing the Ujayii breath!
One-on-Two Beginner Class with Lux and Vicky
With my other teaching class at 6:30pm, it was tough getting there and tough getting out - rush hour. This time, I only had 2 students who were not even aware I was teaching the class. With only less than a year combined yoga experience between the two, I stuck to the beginner basics in both asanas and philosophy. I made it challenging, reminding them that a class with me will have the progressive approach, often resulting in a love-it or leave-it choice. I also tell them they should find a teacher that resonates with their continuing practice - and it does't have to be me.
Now teaching in 2 studios, teaching in community outreach programs, asked to sub(stitute) for other teachers, invited to participate in a yoga photoshoot and offered to teach in more time slots (mostly by Jeanne), the yogic landscape broadens for me in Cebu. I am aware it will not always be like that, which anchors me again to the here-and-now - grateful for the opportunities and making the most out of them.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Thank you Jeanne for opening up Cebu for me, Anne Dala for having me at Studio 108, Arlien for her Ashtanga classes, Coach Mel for the TRX training and the behind-the-counter staff for taking pictures.
Leave a comment?
Next Yoga story:
More on Cebu City:
About Cebu City
Cebu City Google Map
Cebu City, Philippines
Cebu City to Camotes Island
Cebu City to Camotes Islands
- via Consuelo - from Cebu City, take the northbound bus passing through Danao and get off at the Danao Port. At the Port, take a Jomalia Shipping boat for Consuelo (San Francisco, Camotes), P220/pax, a/c, 2 hours, daily trip - 5:30am, 7:00am (special trip), 8:30am, 12:00 noon (express), 2:30pm, 5:30pm and 9:00pm (express, Fri/Sat/Sun only).
Camotes Islands to Cebu City
- Poro - Cebu City (fastest and most direct) - go to Poro and take the 8am or 5pm Ocean Jet to Pier One in Cebu City, P380/pax/aircon, 2 hours
- Consuelo - Danao - Cebu City - go to Consuelo (San Francisco) and take the Jomalia Shipping boat to Danao, P220/pax, a/c, 2 hours, daily trip - 5:30am, 7:00am (special trip), 8:30am, 12:00 noon (express), 2:30pm, 5:30pm and 9:00pm (express, Fri/Sat/Sun only). From Danao, take the Ceres Bus to Cebu City
Cebu City to Dumaguete
Cebu City to Dumaguete by Boat
- George and Peter Lines - Mon/Thur/Sat/Sun 10pm, (035)225.4337, 0922.557.1023
- Oceanjet - via Tagbilaran, daily 6am, firstname.lastname@example.org, 0918.898.2188
- Cokaliong - Mon/Tue/Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat 7pm, Sun 12pm, 6 hours, (035)225.3599
Cebu City to Dumaguete via Liloan (bus, boat, jeep, tricycle)
- Cebu City South Terminal - take the southbound Ceres bus to Liloan, P200, 5 hours
- Liloan - the bus drops you off at the Liloan Port where you board the Fastcraft to Sibulan, Negros Oriental, P62, 30 mins
- Sibulan - at the Sibulan Port, the jeeps wait for Fastcraft passengers to take them to the public market in Dumaguete, P12, 30 mins.
- Public Market - at the market, you can take any tricycle to your hotel, P8 for short trips
Cebu City to Tagbilaran, Bohol
Cebu City to Tagbilaran, Bohol
- Weesam Express - Pier 4, departs 9:00 AM, 2:00 PM, 6:30 PM, 2 hours
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - Pier 1, departs 6-7-8-9:20-10:40-11:40AM, 1-2-4:20-6:35PM, 2 hours
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63 932 8734 885 / +63 922 8572 300
- SuperCat (2GO) - Pier 1, departs 08:15-13:30-15:10-18:00-19:40
+63 32 233 7000
- Lite Ferries - Pier 1, departs daily 12:30pm, 10:00pm and 1:00pm (Mon, Wed, Sat)
Standard (Lying) Php 150, Tourist (Lying Aircon) Php 340
+63 977.822.5483 / +63 998.999.5483 / +63 925.347.5483 / (032)255-1721 to 26 / (032)414-9001 to 03
email@example.com / www.liteferry.com
Cebu City to Siquijor by Boat, via Tagbilaran
Cebu City to Siquijor, via Tagbilaran
Cebu City to Siquijor by Bus, via Liloan (Santander)(as of Jan 2023)
There is only one bus plying this route - Sugbo Urban. Tourist class coach, a/c, comfortable, Sun-Fri (these dates keep changing). P420 for bus, P275 for ferry to Liloan. Leaves Cebu City (South Bus Terminal) at 8 pm (Sundays 1 am), heads south to Liloan (Santander), takes the ferry to Larena Port, Siquijor, docks around 5 am, makes a clockwise roundtrip around Siquijor Island - Larena, Enrique Villanueva, Maria, Lazi (stops at Lazi market for breakfast and leaves 6:50 am), San Juan, Siquijor (arrives 8am, P50 from Lazi to Siquijor Poblacion) and catches the 1pm ferry at Larena Port for Liloan, Cebu and resumes its land route. Arrives Cebu City 10 pm.
Sugbo Urban is the cheapest and most convenient way because when it reaches Larena Port (Siquijor), it continues its trip around the island (clockwise) along the circumferential road, passing through - Enrique Villanueva, Maria, Lazi, San Juan, Siquijor...and back to Larena. It spares you the cost of hiring a tricycle or habal-habal which charges exhorbitant fares. Besides, it's a long trip to the other side of the island to be taking by tricycle.
Cebu CityCEBU CITY
More on Cebu Province:
Suggested Destinations in Cebu
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS