Date > 2012 > Apr
Activity > Mountain Biking
Apr 3, 2012
Riding Around Siquijor's 86km Coastal Road
Location : Siquijor Island, Philippines
Biking With Benefits
A year ago, UP Mountaineers member Kram Bacharo has embarked on a Holy Week fundraising pilgrimage on a bicycle that took him around the Visayan Islands. His cause, Biking with Benefits, helps indigent families in Sagay with their rising medical costs. It has become an annual event with this year's route covering 750 kms in 8 days traversing Negros Occidental, Negros Oriental, Siquijor, Bohol and Cebu.
Since he is passing through Dumaguete, I offered to be his host and then join them on the Siquijor leg of their ride. He is joined by another UPM, Jhunmar Tan. We had to be at the port as early as 4am to ensure we get tickets for the first trip - a slow 1hr 45min boat ride on the Jaylann. We were welcomed by Kram's in-laws in Siquijor where we were treated to breakfast and a place to stash our gear - it was a big plus not having to bring our heavy stuff with us. At 9:30, we started our coastal ride starting from Siquijor Town going counter-clockwise on the island.
Siquijor's Tourist Attractions
The ride was relatively flat with a few inclines and downhill runs. It was the heat the got the better of us. Instead of wearing my helmet, I wore a wide-rimmed straw hat...made all the difference in the world! It was Mar's first time in Siquijor and Kram was playing tour guide as well. We stopped by The Danish Lagoon to say Hi to an acquaintance, Johnny who owns the place - gave us compli bottled water! Next rest stop was the centuries-old Balete Tree. At Lazi, we made a little detour to enjoy the Cambugahay Falls. The locals fastened up a natural vine to a tree where you can swing ala-Tarzan and dive down on the awaiting plunge pool - very cool indeed! Next recreational stop was the Salagdo-ong Beach, known for it's crop outcropping where people can cliff-dive from 2 platforms. We all took our turns - what a rush!
Making Full Circle
It was about to get dark by the time we made full circle and back to Siquijor Town. Again, we were treated to dinner by Kram's in-laws. Later, we lodged ourselves in an air-conditioned municipal meeting room where our host, the Siquijor Town itself, arranged beds for us.
Off to Bohol
Kram and Mar left early the following day for Bohol as I stayed behind to do a little more business in Siquijor on my own. My butt was sore like crazy...hmmm...must be the ride...I don't recall dropping the soap :)
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
The following people like this:
Reader Comments:Lakbay Diva
(Apr 3, 2012) oohhh! would love to do this someday! I've already biked a portion of bohol and I would love to spend three days in siquijor exploring it with my bike!
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Next Mountain Biking story:
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
More on Siquijor Island:
Siquijor Island Local Info
Jeeps - there are only 2 routes for jeeps within Siquijor Island - and they are rare. Most people have their own motorcycle transport.
- Siquijor Port to Lazi - last trip leaves at 3pm from station near market
- Lazi to Siquijor Port - jeeps depart from the Lazi Port area. 5 jeeps, the last trip at 12:30 pm. Lazi to San Juan, P50.
- Larena Port to Lazi - jeeps are unpredictable. As of this writing, there is only 1 jeep plying the Larena-Lazi route. This jeep leaves Larena for Lazi at 9:50am. After that, no more jeep. You'll have to take a tricycle to Siquijor Pob for jeeps going to Lazi
- Lazi to Larena Port - 6am (daily) and 9 am (M-Th)
Food - these were suggested by a local to me
- Lechon manok & liempo - roasted pork belly and chicken at Joel's in Siquijor Poblacion. I've tried this myself...yummy, even if the chicken was no longer hot
- Bibingka - sweetened rice cake by Fidy's Bibingka (P30) in Sawang, Maria. I've come back for this and I buy for other people as well as 'pasalubong' - they love this
- Siopao - at the Rosita store near Thrifty (P25) in Siquijor Poblacion
- Peanut butter - by Rene. Just ask around in Siquijor Poblacion. It's popular
- Torta - sweet cakish bread at the Thrifty story in Siquijor Poblacion
Siquijor Island Map
Siquijor - Dumaguete Boat Trips(as of Jan 2023)
- Montenegro Lines - at Siquijor Port, P234.00/pax, P169/bicycle, 7:30am/10:00am/2:00pm/4:30pm/7:30? or 9:00? pm
- Ocean Jet - 40 mins,at Siquijor Port, 0919.066.5964, www.oceanjet.net, email@example.com, 6:00am/6:00pm, P350/pax (tourist/open air), P580/pax (business class)
- Atlantis Yohan Express - Siquijor Port or Larena Port?
- Aleson Shipping Lines - Siquijor Port, P200/reg, P250/a-c, 6:00 am daily, 1:30 pm & 6:30pm M-Sat
Siquijor - Tagbilaran - Cebu City Boat Trips(as of Jan 2023)
En route to Cebu City, the ferries usually make a stop-over to Tagbilaran (Bohol) to pick-up more passengers or unload.
- Ocean Jet - 2 hours, 8:20am, at Siquijor Port
To Tagbilaran: P800/tourist & open air, P1200/business class
To Cebu: ?
- Lite Ferries - at Larena Port,
To Tagbilaran: T-Th-Sun, P475/standard, 7pm, 3 hours, PHP?
To Cebu: T-Th-Sun, 7pm, 7 hours, PHP 650
Siquijor - Plaridel Boat Trips(as of Jan 2023)
- Lite Ferries - at Larena Port, T-Th-Sun, 2:00 am, 5 hours, PHP?
Siquijor - Cebu (Liloan) - Cebu City BUS Trip(as of Jan 2023)
There is only one bus plying this route - Sugbo Urban. Tourist class coach, a/c, comfortable, Sun-Fri (these dates keep changing). P420 for bus, P275 for ferry to Liloan. Larena Port around 5 am, makes a clockwise roundtrip around Siquijor Island - Larena, Enrique Villanueva, Maria, Lazi (stops at Lazi market for breakfast and leaves 6:50 am), San Juan, Siquijor (arrives 8am, P50 from Lazi to Siquijor Poblacion) and catches the 1pm ferry at Larena Port (Sundays at 3 pm) for Liloan, Cebu and resumes its land route. Arrives Cebu City (South Bus Terminal) 10 pm.
Sugbo Urban is the cheapest and most convenient way because it goes around the island (clockwise) along the circumferential road, passing through - Enrique Villanueva, Maria, Lazi, San Juan, Siquijor...and back to Larena where it takes the ferry at 1 pm. This saves you the hassle and high transport cost of a tricycle. Besides, it's a long trip from the other side of the island to be taking by tricycle.
Suggested Destinations After Siquijor Island
These are the nearest popular destinations from Siquijor by boat
- Bohol - Bohol is an island northeast Siquijor. Tourist attractions are Chocolate Hills, Tarsier Monkey, Loboc River Cruise, Beaches of Panglao, whale sharks (recent offering), freediving (recent offering)
- Cebu - Cebu City is the usual gateway into the Visayas. But in Cebu Island itself, there are many offerings - Whale Sharks of Oslob, sardine run at Moalboal,Thresher Shark of Malapascua
- Dapitan (Zamboanga del Norte) - I haven't been there but a lot of island ferries ply this port. There must be something here.
- Dumaguete - Dumaguete is a small charming progressive coastal town in Negros Oriental. Cafe and restaurants line the famous Boulevard Boardwalk. Tourist attractions include Japanese Shrine, Casaroro Falls, snorkeling along the southern coastline (Dauin, Masaplod Norte, etc), Balinsasayao Twin Lakes
- Plaridel (Misamis Occidental, Mindanao) - I haven't been there but a lot of island ferries ply this port. There must be something here.
- Mar Snapshots Mar 28, 2023
- My Mar Yoga Practice: a Journal Mar 21-28, 2023
- Bitcoin Blunder Mar 15, 2023
- Maria's Unsung Beaches Mar 11, 2023
- Lagaan Falls Mar 9, 2023
- Tibhong Spring Water Source Mar 8, 2023
- Bolo-Bolo Natural Spring Mar 2, 2023
- Feb Snapshots Feb 28, 2023
- My Feb Yoga Practice: a Journal Feb 21-28, 2023
- Camagung-Ong Natural Spring Feb 28, 2023
- Heeeere's Johnnie! Feb 26, 2023
- Manifesting a Motorbike from Thin Air? Feb 18, 2023
- The 'Bad Guy' of Siquijor Feb 15, 2023
- Amazement from Drivers License Renewal in Siquijor Feb 15, 2023
- Locong Falls Feb 9, 2023
- A Case of Inguinal Hernia? Feb 4, 2023
- Jan Snapshots Dec 31, 2022
- In Search of Tubod Cold Spring Jan 27, 2023
- 1:4:2:3 Nadi Shodana Jan 26, 2023
- Lazi's Boulevard Jan 22, 2023
- Lazi: A Monthly Stay Jan 21, 2023
- 7 Days in Maria, Siquijor Jan 14-21, 2023
- Capilay Spring Jan 17, 2023
- Siquijor: In Search of Resonance Jan 9-14, 2023
- Riding Around Siquijor's 86km Coastal Road Apr 3, 2012
- Exploring the Cantabon Cave of Siquijor Feb 23, 2012
- Jovee and Missy's Excellent Adventure Nov 6-7, 2010
- Freediving in Siquijor's Marine Sancturaries Apr 23-24, 2010
- Island Tour of Siquijor Apr 22, 2010
- Kram's Siquijor Wedding Apr 21, 2010
»» back to Mountain Biking
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS