Dec 8, 2015
Smoked Salmon-Belly Pizza on BBQ Sauce
how to make pizza dough and bbq sauce from scratch with salmon-belly topping
Location: Cebu City, Cebu (province), Philippines
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup warm water (between 85° and 115° F)
- 2 tbsp yeast (I like my dough a little yeasty. You can use less)
- 2 tbsp sugar or honey (I use Muscovado sugar)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Making the sponge
Mix water, sugar, yeast and 1 cup regular flour in a bowl. Cover until it starts to bubble (first rising, around 45 mins)
Mix the rest of the ingredients (flour, salt and oil) and start kneading (tip: press on with your body weight, not just your arm power). The dough should be soft without being sticky. Too sticky, add flour. Too hard, add water. You're done when the dough bounces back when you poke your finger onto it. Cover until double in size (2nd rising, around 45 mins).
- Scaling and shaping
Punch the dough to take the air out. You can cut it up and use only what you need. You can cut it up into 3 and shape them into balls - one of those balls should be good to make one 13" regular pizza. You can freeze the 2. Flatten one ball into a circular shape. I usually flatten it on the same tray I will bake on so I don't have to make a transfer - I just apply a little oil on the tray before flattening. Using both hands, one on top of the other, press from the center outwards to stretch it in all directions. You can flatten it more by using a rolling pin (or wine bottle). Take a fork and put puncture holes all over the dough to keep it from bubbling up while cooking (which also holds the sauce in place). Wait until double in size (3rd and last rising).
- the dough is now ready for baking
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 bulb garlic, crushed
- mix all the above ingredients with a whisk until well blended. It's ready to be used for basting. This sauce is ideal for ribs
- salmon-belly strips
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- pan-fry the salmon, capers and olives until medium. Remove from heat. The rest of the cooking will be done while top-browning the pizza
- spread the pizza sauce on top of the dough, add the salmon belly, olives, capers. Last, add the cheese on top.
- turn the oven heat on to 2100C or 4100F. If you have a heating element on top, place an aluminum foil on top of the bread to keep it from burning, but remove it on the last 5 minutes for top browning. The bread is done if it sounds hollow when you tap on it.
- drizzle with a light extra virgin olive oil before serving. Enjoy!
Salmon-belly pizza is over-the top by any pizza benchmark. Invite the right friends and a little wine and you have a party right there!
Cebu City, Philippines
Tops - hilltop offering panoramic view of the city
Taoist Temple - temple on a hillslope in Lahug with panoramic view of the city
- Hostel Seven Cebu - newly opened, resto/bar, central location, solo/group travellers
Juana Osmeña Street, Cebu City
- S Hotel & Residences - new hotel, luxury rooms, central location
827 M. Velez corner Andres Abellana St.
resto / cafe / bar
- Fujinoya - new and refreshing twists to Western style desserts using Japanese techniques
Wilson St., Lahug, Cebu City - tel. 888.6075
- Bad Boys Wingz - Buffalo Wings, unique versions of sauces! Great service, accommodating staff, bad boys vibe
Kasambagan, Cebu City | (032) 415 4811
- Love Yoga World - yoga studio
11/fl, Skyrise 2 Tower, IT Park, Lahug, Cebu City
- Yoga Now - first Yoga and Wellness studio in Mactan offering daily Yoga Classes
at The Yacht Club Mactan
- Cebu Mountain Bike Adventure - MTB tours, bike sales and repairs. Bed and Breakfast + Resto Cafe + wifi
1298-b V.Rama Ave, Guadalupe, Cebu City | 0942.959.7451
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
Metz Diaz Taer
( 10 Nov 2015) ...also love the bread with bbq sauce, raisins and cheese!
Dec 8, 2015
»» next story: Yoga Adjustment and Alignment
»» next Recipes story: Clam Chowder Pizza from Scratch on a Rice Cooker
»» back to Recipes
»» back to Homepage