Mar 4, 2014
PechaKucha Night at Gilt (Artisan Lounge), Cebu
Location: Gilt (Artisan Lounge), Crossroads Arcade, Cebu City, Cebu (province), Philippines
What is PechaKucha?
PechaKucha has its origin in Tokyo back in 2003 where young designers can network and showcase their creatives. Today, PechaKucha has spread to 700 cities worldwide, Cebu being the latest. The presentor narrates while a set of 20 slides, displayed in 20 second intervals, are played in the backdrop. In short, the presentor has 6.5 minutes to make a presentation. This works because he has to condense his body of work into a select choice of 20 slides, and he cannot hog the mic. This also gives the audience just enough time to be engaged without being saturated.
Cebu launched its first ever PechaKucha at the Gilt in Crossroads, Banilad. There were 4 presentors, each with a pack of slides and a story to tell. One talked about doing a photo album project to the victims of Typhoon Yolanda. Another talked about the least beaten path in adventure travels within the Philippines. Ravi talked about the Africa we didn't know. Lastly, Willerie talked about capturing humanity in the pictures she takes. The presentations were not too long but long enough to get the message across. It works!
The Cebu event was attended mostly by young Indie-types - artists, intellectuals, yogis, bohemians and hoopers (paging Berns!). You can say the attendees are on the same page. It was emceed by the bar owner, Jay Chiongbian, who was adept at the mic himself.
The venue could not have been held at a more appropriate place. Gilt is an eclectic throw-back bar/resto displaying decent nudes from the roaring 20s and memorabilia from a Norman Rockwell era. The vibe is hipster-cool. You can check it out at Crossroads, Banilad.
This launch is without a doubt a success. Already, plans for a monthly gathering are being setup. Great job, Paola Galan!
(Mar 9, 2014) Ravi and I presented at the first PechaKucha Night in Cebu which was organized by our friends Paola, Albert, and David with the goal of providing artists (and anyone) a creative way to share their passion/knowledge. Thanks to all our friends who came to check it out!
(Mar 8, 2014) Ur looking good Ying. Cant wait so see u soon.
(Mar 8, 2014) Thank you for the write-up about PechaKucha Night Cebu! It was awesome to have everyone there.
Cebu City, Philippines
Tops - hilltop offering panoramic view of the city
Taoist Temple - temple on a hillslope in Lahug with panoramic view of the city
- Hostel Seven Cebu - newly opened, resto/bar, central location, solo/group travellers
Juana Osmeña Street, Cebu City
- S Hotel & Residences - new hotel, luxury rooms, central location
827 M. Velez corner Andres Abellana St.
resto / cafe / bar
- Fujinoya - new and refreshing twists to Western style desserts using Japanese techniques
Wilson St., Lahug, Cebu City - tel. 888.6075
- Bad Boys Wingz - Buffalo Wings, unique versions of sauces! Great service, accommodating staff, bad boys vibe
Kasambagan, Cebu City | (032) 415 4811
- Love Yoga World - yoga studio
11/fl, Skyrise 2 Tower, IT Park, Lahug, Cebu City
- Yoga Now - first Yoga and Wellness studio in Mactan offering daily Yoga Classes
at The Yacht Club Mactan
- Cebu Mountain Bike Adventure - MTB tours, bike sales and repairs. Bed and Breakfast + Resto Cafe + wifi
1298-b V.Rama Ave, Guadalupe, Cebu City | 0942.959.7451
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
Mar 4, 2014
»» next story: Yoga Immersion with Veer (Vaibhav Rana)
»» next Counter Culture story: Burning Man on PechaKucha Night at GILD, Cebu
»» back to Counter Culture
»» back to Homepage