Mar 20-21, 2014
Kitchie Nadal Rocks Cebu City
Location: Fuzion Gourmet Restaurant, Cebu City, Cebu (province), Philippines
Small Venue for Kitchie
I was leisurely walking around Mango Square when I caught a glimpse of a Kitchie Nadal poster on Fuzion Gourmet Restaurant. Whoa! What are the odds? It was a pleasant surprise. I'm a big Kitchie Nadal fan. I thought she only performed in big stadiums and huge campus grounds. But I've always thought that to best appreciate her, you have to see her in an intimate venue - Fuzion Gourmet Restaurant fills that bill. Besides, I haven't seen Kitchie since 2008 when she visited Sagada for her birthday bash. That was 6 years ago! It's high time.
A Kitchie Fan
I stopped by to check-out her gig and soon hooked-up with her merry crew while she was performing. From the Sagada crew, only Carla (now her road manager) was around. The rest have moved on to working for the family business, got married, etc. But it was still a fun crew - Chain, Tin, Sassy and a Spanish guy helping out typhoon victims in Bantayan. The place was packed (even without publicity). I showed up even on day 2, immediately after Veer-yoga. Really, after this, when will I hear her sing again? Like I told her, I place her in the ranks of Enigma, Sade and Dido, where I would loop a playlist and let it play the entire day to the exclusion of everyone else.
Roller Blading with Kitchie on my Headphone
I would remember back in my UP days, on a Sunday morning when the academic oval is shut off to traffic, I would donne my roller blade and cut through the wind with her first album in my headphone. I would even say, "Kitchie, I'm in your hands", and I'd glide myself through. Yeah, we are acquainted, but I really see myself as a fan - you don't see that talent in the local offering too much.
Taking it Easy
She sang the usual favorites with the crowd filling-in on some refrain passages. She seeemed more relaxed this time. In fact, after talking to her, she admits she enjoys her career more this time - more at ease, more travels and not killing herself doing 2 gigs a day. We could only talk so much - everybody wanted a piece of her.
I mostly talked to her friends - cool peeps. Seemed like I've known them longer. Carla was cool and fun - it was Sagada all over again. We downed a beer together talking shop. What's good about this road crew is that they're all friends resonating on the same page - not an entourage of sychopants (trust me, I've seen this with some celebrities).
Finally, I get to listen to Kitchie in a small venue setting - more intimate where you can see her emote on her songs and where you can hear her voice clear enough. You're just a few steps away, unlike in some big stadium where you have to use binoculars. As good as it gets, I realized, it's still not ideal. I have yet to be in front of her, while she sings "Same Ground", unplugged.
Cebu City, Philippines
Tops - hilltop offering panoramic view of the city
Taoist Temple - temple on a hillslope in Lahug with panoramic view of the city
- Hostel Seven Cebu - newly opened, resto/bar, central location, solo/group travellers
Juana Osmeña Street, Cebu City
- S Hotel & Residences - new hotel, luxury rooms, central location
827 M. Velez corner Andres Abellana St.
resto / cafe / bar
- Fujinoya - new and refreshing twists to Western style desserts using Japanese techniques
Wilson St., Lahug, Cebu City - tel. 888.6075
- Bad Boys Wingz - Buffalo Wings, unique versions of sauces! Great service, accommodating staff, bad boys vibe
Kasambagan, Cebu City | (032) 415 4811
- Love Yoga World - yoga studio
11/fl, Skyrise 2 Tower, IT Park, Lahug, Cebu City
- Yoga Now - first Yoga and Wellness studio in Mactan offering daily Yoga Classes
at The Yacht Club Mactan
- Cebu Mountain Bike Adventure - MTB tours, bike sales and repairs. Bed and Breakfast + Resto Cafe + wifi
1298-b V.Rama Ave, Guadalupe, Cebu City | 0942.959.7451
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
Mar 20-21, 2014
»» next story: SUP Yoga with Jeanne Torrefranca at Plantation Bay
»» back to Chilling Out
»» back to Homepage