Feb 22, 2014
Location: Cebu City, Cebu (province), Philippines
After pulling a muscle from either my handstands or hollow-back asanas, I'm out of my yoga practice until my back heals. Right now, it's painful to even clear my throat. But I continue to read up on the theories, personalities, history and yoga facts - I find them as riveting as a spy thriller. The past months have really seen me push my body hard into yoga and abs workouts. I've attended all my yoga classes with Veer without fail until now. After missing 2 sessions with Veer, I'm like a junkie in search of my fix. With my other yoga classes, I experience how far I've come. But with Veer's class, I experience how far I need to go. And this motivates me to push my body even harder. Now my body is talking back for me to take it easy. I listen. This hiatus also gives me time to step back and get my bearings.
It's not Veer!
Veer's critics might speculate that I got injured because he "pushes too much" (I've heard this before, and to me, this is an erroneous misconception of his teaching style). For the record, Veer is mindful of what his students can and cannot do. He will never let me do Scorpion, but he won't let me slack on poses he knows I can do. I, on the other hand, push myself too much sometimes. On top of the 4x/week training I have with Veer (which is already a handful), I also train in the "in-between days" and even arrive early for his class for my "before Veer arrives" training. I got injured because I pushed myself too much...me!
Make it Worth my While
Workwise, things are coming-in at a good pace. With friends-of-friends asking me to do web work for them, I extend them the same goodwill and try to do business on a "I'll go the whole 9 yards on your web needs and you just make it worth my while" basis. If they don't see value in my work, they can simply buy me a cold beer with a polite thanks and I'm good with that. If they find value in my work and they want to give me the moon, I'll take it too. It' all good. With goodwill as the cornerstone of a budding business relationship I'm willing to err on the side of 'giving' (instead of 'taking'). With friends, I'm more comfortable doing business this way than quantifying a work scope and giving a quote. With friendship in the background, business feels awkward - but that's just me.
This leads me to my next interesting observation. Last night, I was having dinner with Ricco (friend, fellow seeker and business colleague) at his place. We were drinking wine, telling stories and laughing out loud. I could turn my back and I feel assured he'll look after my well-being (as he has already demonstrated in the past). I don't have to worry about that. I'll do the same thing for him (and all my friends). He gets it, and I get it. Together, we look forward to all the possibilities that lay ahead given our synergy. The horizon is exponentially infinite.
Let's go now to my other acquaintance whom I met in essentially the same circumstance as Ricco. This happened back in the day when we were talking about higher evolution. We were acquainted but not close. We went into business and almost immediately, he tried to pull a fast one on me. There is a Japanese saying that "he who can cut the deepest wins". Since I was never into money to begin with, by default, I can cut the deepest because I can always walk away. And I did. He realized the folly and had to win me back for the deal to push through. What he did was both foolish and unneccessary. It didn't earn him one more dollar in his pocket but in the process, whatever goodwill we initially capitalized on has been fully eroded. He inadvertently planted the seed of mistrust. Now, I can't turn my back and not think, "what funny thing is he going to do this time?". Without trust, I don't see any further growth in that relationship. Wherever we are is already the ceiling. I should be having wine and laughs with this guy like I have with Ricco. But no. I won't even want to be stuck with him on a dinner table. All that lofty talk of a higher plain is nothing but spiritual adventurism if you can't walk your talk.
Being with the Flow
I know I'm still in the Flow because wonderful things continue to happen.
- I was part of Veer's yoga crew to grace the Canso X outdoor weekend retreat in the mountains of Busay
- I was invited to be part of a yoga class at YogaHub for the live telecast of GMA's morning show, Buena Mano Balita!
- I got to attend YogaHub's workshop of visiting senior yoga teacher, Joan Hymann for inversions and Ashtanga
- The Kalinga backpacking article I wrote for Speed Magazine already came out
- I closed an automotive repair deal (parts and labor) for a friend's M-Benz Coupé (nice to play Santa in Feb)
- With my stay at Premiere Citi Suites, my breakfast tradition continues - inviting old and new acquaintances for a one-on-one quality time over breakfast.
- I'm getting a few nibbles on a few proposals I sent out...crossing fingers
- many more things looming in the not-so distant-horizon...I hope I don't get inundated
It's nice to watch my gradually shifting peoplescape as I drift from one orbit to the next. I cultivate new ones as I feel myself drifting away from established circles...mindfully and gracefully surrending to the shifting currents, always in compliance to what resonates. I am introduced to friends of friends, I meet new ones within the yoga community, the Couch Surfers community, Veer's yoga circle, etc. As I keep saying, "the next magnificent life I have yet to meet is just around the bend".
Within a week, I should be able to resume my practice. In the meantime, I'll make best use of this golden time I have - to write, to think and to be 'out there'.
Cebu City, Philippines
Tops - hilltop offering panoramic view of the city
Taoist Temple - temple on a hillslope in Lahug with panoramic view of the city
- Hostel Seven Cebu - newly opened, resto/bar, central location, solo/group travellers
Juana Osmeña Street, Cebu City
- S Hotel & Residences - new hotel, luxury rooms, central location
827 M. Velez corner Andres Abellana St.
resto / cafe / bar
- Fujinoya - new and refreshing twists to Western style desserts using Japanese techniques
Wilson St., Lahug, Cebu City - tel. 888.6075
- Bad Boys Wingz - Buffalo Wings, unique versions of sauces! Great service, accommodating staff, bad boys vibe
Kasambagan, Cebu City | (032) 415 4811
- Love Yoga World - yoga studio
11/fl, Skyrise 2 Tower, IT Park, Lahug, Cebu City
- Yoga Now - first Yoga and Wellness studio in Mactan offering daily Yoga Classes
at The Yacht Club Mactan
- Cebu Mountain Bike Adventure - MTB tours, bike sales and repairs. Bed and Breakfast + Resto Cafe + wifi
1298-b V.Rama Ave, Guadalupe, Cebu City | 0942.959.7451
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
Feb 22, 2014
»» next story: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
»» back to Lucid Thoughts
»» back to Homepage