Feb 18, 2014
Joan Hyman Yoga Workshop by YogaHub
Dates: 2:00pm-4:30pm, Feb 18-19, 2014
Description: Inversion Workshop / Ashtanga Class, Master Workshop
Venue: Cebu Country Club, Cebu City, Philippines
Fees: P1000/day or P1800/2days
Joan Hyman is a Los Angeles-based Ashtanga practitioner who travels the world conducting yoga workshops, teacher-training and retreats. She has been to Mysore, India to study with Pattahbi Jois and his grandson Sharath Rangaswamy, both pillars in the world of Ashtanga Yoga. This is Joan's second time to conduct a workshop in Cebu through YogaHub. Joan is E-RYT Yoga Alliance Certified, Yogaworks Certified, with a Bachelors of Science in Exercise Science from Temple University, New York.
The first day was all about inversions - handstand, to be more specific. She explained a few ideas on anatomy that aids in stabilizing the pose (a handstand is also a mudra). Since it was a full-pack class, there wasn't enough time to adjust everyone so we went into partnering to make the assists. The thing about handstand is that it's not something you learn to go into by attending a workshop. It takes more than a year of pratice to develop strength, balance, concentration and coordination to achieve this. But every little tip and advice adds up to make it finally happen to those who persevere.
The second day was a mix to Ashtanga-led class interspersed with a workshop-style of getting established into the poses. My pre-existing injury acted up causing me not to finish this session. She made a dash to catch her flight immediately after the class - good thing, photo-ops were done prior to the session.
YogaHub has been the most consistent yoga studio in Cebu to invite international teachers to conduct yoga workshops and teacher-training to practioners who would like to deepen their practice. With the beautiful and indefatigable Jenifer Martinez on the reins of YogaHub, the studio has been the most visible presence within the yoga community for the number of classes it holds (about 63 classes per week) and the diversity of yoga disciplines they offer (Ashtanga, Vinyasa, Hot Yoga, Pre Natal, Yin and Beginners Yoga). They even offer free Sunday yoga to anyone who simply wants to experience yoga before committing themselves to the practice.
Wouldn't it be nice to be traveling around the world while doing what you do best? Being an international yoga teacher is a dream to many. Joan Hyman is living it.
Cebu City, Philippines
Tops - hilltop offering panoramic view of the city
Taoist Temple - temple on a hillslope in Lahug with panoramic view of the city
- Hostel Seven Cebu - newly opened, resto/bar, central location, solo/group travellers
Juana Osmeña Street, Cebu City
- S Hotel & Residences - new hotel, luxury rooms, central location
827 M. Velez corner Andres Abellana St.
resto / cafe / bar
- Fujinoya - new and refreshing twists to Western style desserts using Japanese techniques
Wilson St., Lahug, Cebu City - tel. 888.6075
- Bad Boys Wingz - Buffalo Wings, unique versions of sauces! Great service, accommodating staff, bad boys vibe
Kasambagan, Cebu City | (032) 415 4811
- Love Yoga World - yoga studio
11/fl, Skyrise 2 Tower, IT Park, Lahug, Cebu City
- Yoga Now - first Yoga and Wellness studio in Mactan offering daily Yoga Classes
at The Yacht Club Mactan
- Cebu Mountain Bike Adventure - MTB tours, bike sales and repairs. Bed and Breakfast + Resto Cafe + wifi
1298-b V.Rama Ave, Guadalupe, Cebu City | 0942.959.7451
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
Feb 18, 2014
»» next story: Hiatus
»» next Yoga story: Yoga Immersion with Veer (Vaibhav Rana)
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage