Dec 15, 2013
108 Sun Salutations for Typhoon Yolanda Victims
Location: Jaime's Farm, Busay (near Tops), Cebu City, Cebu (province), Philippines
Fee: donation-based - all proceeds to go to Rebuilding Leyte/Adopt-a-Family
Event: The Power of 108: An Offering of Sun Salutations
To alleviate the hardship of Typhoon Yolanda victims in Leyte, yoga instructors, Arlien Alcoseba Buhain, Jeanne Torrefranca, Anne Dala and Jang Samson, hatched a fund-raising event for the Rebuilding Leyte/Adopt-a-Family programs. There were 9 in attendance, yoga teachers and practitioners coming from different studios and yoga centers in Cebu.
The event was held at the picturesque Jaime's Farm in Busay. Tucked serenely within the rolling hills of Busay, the farm is a landscaping marvel complete with an expansive pond graced by Lotus flowers and Koi. The Bali-style house where the offering took place rests in the middle of the pond. There were orchids of different colors hanging from the beams. The dining table was a solid piece of hardwood, maybe 15 feet long - the longest I've ever seen. The house was tastefully designed.
||We make our daily yoga practice more meaningful by offering this particular intention as we do 108 sun salutations. -- Arlien Alcoseba Buhain
108 Surya Namaskar A
The intent is to perform 108 sun salutations (Surya Namakaskar A). Why 108? This number has long been considered a sacred number in Hinduism and yoga. Mala beads is a string of 108 beads. Doing 108 sun salutations is the same as doing a yoga mala. There are 108 canonical Upanishads and 108 marma points (sacred spaces in the body).
Performing Surya Namaskar A is one of the best warm-ups in yoga. Nearly all the major muscle groups are stretched out, with the Downward Facing Dog where you hold the pose for 5 deep breaths. But to do it repeatedly 108 times? At some point, the shoulder muscles were fatigued. Since I was doing a full push-up from Upward Dog to Downward Dog, a Tricep strand started burning. While enduring the pain, I was thinking...if I push through...would that be resolve or ego? My mind was beginning to toy with me. I had to stop and miss 3 vinyasas to allow my body to recover - only 105 vinyasas for me.
||I'd been teaching yoga for over 10 years now. I realized that unless I devote myself in the service of others, all these asanas and pranayamas are nothing but ego. -- Tana Madrigal (Sep 9, 2007)
The difficulty was rewarded by a breakfast spread fit for a king and queen - mangoes, home-made tablea, puto maya, oranges, home-made salsa on tortilla, mandarins, rice lugaw, etc. Breaking bread with everyone on the long table by the pond was an experience. We shared our vibe, our smiles and our goodwill while the moment lasted.
108 Surya Namaskar(s) was a first for me. It was physically challenging, but tempered by the a noble intention. Moreover, it was another occasion for me to pursue my practice in the company of people I increasingly feel resonance with. Of course, doing all that within the confines of a Shangrila-like Bali-style house by the pond on top of Busay's rolling hills added dimension to the total experience. In my parlance, the whole experience was another "coming upon a proverbial waterfall".
Thank you for organizing this, thank you Dr. Jean for finding this wonderful place and thank you everyone for your positive presence in making this event a memorable experience!
some pictures courtesy of Anne Dala
Cebu City, Philippines
Tops - hilltop offering panoramic view of the city
Taoist Temple - temple on a hillslope in Lahug with panoramic view of the city
- Hostel Seven Cebu - newly opened, resto/bar, central location, solo/group travellers
Juana Osmeña Street, Cebu City
- S Hotel & Residences - new hotel, luxury rooms, central location
827 M. Velez corner Andres Abellana St.
resto / cafe / bar
- Fujinoya - new and refreshing twists to Western style desserts using Japanese techniques
Wilson St., Lahug, Cebu City - tel. 888.6075
- Bad Boys Wingz - Buffalo Wings, unique versions of sauces! Great service, accommodating staff, bad boys vibe
Kasambagan, Cebu City | (032) 415 4811
- Love Yoga World - yoga studio
11/fl, Skyrise 2 Tower, IT Park, Lahug, Cebu City
- Yoga Now - first Yoga and Wellness studio in Mactan offering daily Yoga Classes
at The Yacht Club Mactan
- Cebu Mountain Bike Adventure - MTB tours, bike sales and repairs. Bed and Breakfast + Resto Cafe + wifi
1298-b V.Rama Ave, Guadalupe, Cebu City | 0942.959.7451
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
Dec 15, 2013
»» next Yoga story: YogaHub - Real People, Real Yoga
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage