Nov 30 - Dec 1, 2013
2-day Yoga Mountain Retreat at Rancho Cancio in Busay, Cebu
Location: Rancho Cancio, Busay, Cebu (province), Philippines
Given the growing community of yoga practitioners in Cebu and the emergence of various yoga centers and studios, it was not surprising the first-ever (?) yoga retreat finally happened. Through the effort of yoga teacher Arlien Alcoseba Buhain, who teaches at Surya Nanda Yoga Studio and Love Yoga World, with the support of the yoga community's Jeanne Torrefranca (of Dragonfly Yoga Studio) and Ronaldo "Ron" Cocoba of Surya Nanda Yoga Studio, the yoga retreat, attended by about 20 participants from all stages of yoga (from first-timers to yoga teachers) took place in a plush residential spread in the hills of Busay, xxx meters above sea level with an infinity pool that drops-off to a spectacular view of the lower hillside, Mactan and the waters of Cebu.
- Vinyasa Yoga and Walking Meditation by Ronaldo "Ron" Cocoba
- Guided Meditation and Tea Lighting Ceremony by Gigit Sulit
- Kirtan Singing by Jeanne Torrefranca
- Poi by Reds Martinez Mahinay
- Ashtanga Yoga, Primary Series and Pranayama by Arlien Alcoseba Buhain
The retreat was held at a private residence named Rancho Cancio in Busay, about 45 mintues by car from the city. While it is rented out, it's not exactly for public consumption. They don't advertise but word of mouth gets around. Applicants are screened and if you're lucky enough to find an open slot, you get to experience Rancho Cancio. The place has a biliard table, infinity pool, an awesome view given its elevation, and yes, a wood burning domed oven.
To give an idea what we had for dinner, pizza was freshly made from scratch and baked in a domed wood-burning oven. Pasta and fish complemented the pizza, and for dessert, we had squares of what seemed like Food for the Gods. We were all unanimous that the only thing mssing was red wine...had we only known in advance, we would gladly have brought our own vintages!
Not Just Yoga
Of course, it's a given that yoga plays a central role. And with Ron's poolside Vinyasa yoga and Arlien's full Primary Ashtanga series, everyone got chock-full-of-downward dogs and belly engagement. But beyond the asanas and the meditation, we all got to put our guard down, set aside our carapace and open up our minds as we shared ourselves in the 2-day bliss of fun, sun, good eats, music, pool chillout and idea exchanges that shaped the event.
This retreat is too good to be the last. The bonding between like-minded yogis and yoginis added flesh and human warmth to the rigors of vinyasas and asanas. Often times, you get to see the same familiar faces in the studio, but nothing happens outside the mat. This retreat served as catalyst for growth, intimacy and support for Cebu's vibrant yoga community. Thank you Arlien for making this happen, and thank you for making me a part of it.
Cebu City, Philippines
Tops - hilltop offering panoramic view of the city
Taoist Temple - temple on a hillslope in Lahug with panoramic view of the city
- Hostel Seven Cebu - newly opened, resto/bar, central location, solo/group travellers
Juana Osmeña Street, Cebu City
- S Hotel & Residences - new hotel, luxury rooms, central location
827 M. Velez corner Andres Abellana St.
resto / cafe / bar
- Fujinoya - new and refreshing twists to Western style desserts using Japanese techniques
Wilson St., Lahug, Cebu City - tel. 888.6075
- Bad Boys Wingz - Buffalo Wings, unique versions of sauces! Great service, accommodating staff, bad boys vibe
Kasambagan, Cebu City | (032) 415 4811
- Love Yoga World - yoga studio
11/fl, Skyrise 2 Tower, IT Park, Lahug, Cebu City
- Yoga Now - first Yoga and Wellness studio in Mactan offering daily Yoga Classes
at The Yacht Club Mactan
- Cebu Mountain Bike Adventure - MTB tours, bike sales and repairs. Bed and Breakfast + Resto Cafe + wifi
1298-b V.Rama Ave, Guadalupe, Cebu City | 0942.959.7451
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
Jade Rose Tabada
(Dec 6, 2013) I had such a beautiful weekend there Gigit. Hope to see you all again soon.
Arlien Alcoseba Buhain
(Dec 3, 2013) Thanks, Gigit. Humbly touched by your article. As the celebrities would say, i wouldn't have done this without all of you guys and all your support. (Char! Hahaha) But, really.... The success of the event was mainly due to the loving, sharing, carefree hearts of those who came. See you all next time--already planning it!!!"
Nov 30 - Dec 1, 2013
»» next Yoga story: 108 Sun Salutations for Typhoon Yolanda Victims
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage