Oct 3-18, 2012
Back to Cebu for the Web Workshop
Location: Cebu City, Cebu (province), Philippines
Back to Teaching
From Manila, I needed to head back to Cebu to give me ample time to polish and do a dry-run of the web design workshop I was to conduct through MYSTUDIO Cebu. The workshop would give me a chance to go back into 'teaching' - something I miss and something suggested by my yoga friend, Jeanne. The first of the dry run took nearly a full day with high school buddy, Ferd and MYSTUDIO manager, Edenbel as my 'students'. The other half never happened - there were no registrants. We had to cancel. The actual workshop would have been ideal, but the preparation I put into it gave me the fix I was looking for - in a way I was happy.
Dynasty Tourist Inn
While in Cebu, I got to stay for 15 days at the newly renovated Dynasty Tourist Inn - a pension house that's been around for 21 years. After the renovation, the hotel looked new. I got a decent room with a whopping 32" flat screen tv with USB feature enabling guests to view their own movies with their usb. With the tv, breakfast (included in my stay), the in-room wifi, and its handy location right between Fuente and the Capitol, I had a comfortable and productive stay in Cebu. Moreover, the free breakfast for two allowed me to spend quality time with friends on a one-on-one basis as I invited them to be my 'plus one' - a perfect way to add dimension to the friendship and get to know my friends a little more.
My Yoga Family
Being in Cebu meant being with my yoga friends again - make that my yoga family. This time though, we had 2 missing links in the chain (in my mountain biking parlance) - Gem was already in the US, and Jeanne was in Manila for her 200-hour yoga teacher certification course. Nonetheless, I got my chance to attend a few classes and spend time with friends. This visit also got me in touch with another yoga group headed by Vaibhav Rana, the Ashram International Initiative.
Somehow, even with my detachment to nearly everything around me, I feel anchored to Cebu. As much as I shun away from the concept of 'home' and live this nomadic existence, when I catch myself thinking of belonging, I find myself thinking Cebu and the warmth I get from its lovely people. Cebu will remain a place I'll keep coming back to.
Off to Busuanga
It seemed like I just arrived Cebu but I had to pack up again, this time for Coron, Busuanga (Palawan), to participate in the charity mountain bike ride, Bike+Hike=Build a School event organized by my friend Greg Hutchinson of Tribal Adventures to help build a high school in Cheey, Busuanga.
Cebu City, Philippines
Tops - hilltop offering panoramic view of the city
Taoist Temple - temple on a hillslope in Lahug with panoramic view of the city
- Hostel Seven Cebu - newly opened, resto/bar, central location, solo/group travellers
Juana Osmeña Street, Cebu City
- S Hotel & Residences - new hotel, luxury rooms, central location
827 M. Velez corner Andres Abellana St.
resto / cafe / bar
- Fujinoya - new and refreshing twists to Western style desserts using Japanese techniques
Wilson St., Lahug, Cebu City - tel. 888.6075
- Bad Boys Wingz - Buffalo Wings, unique versions of sauces! Great service, accommodating staff, bad boys vibe
Kasambagan, Cebu City | (032) 415 4811
- Love Yoga World - yoga studio
11/fl, Skyrise 2 Tower, IT Park, Lahug, Cebu City
- Yoga Now - first Yoga and Wellness studio in Mactan offering daily Yoga Classes
at The Yacht Club Mactan
- Cebu Mountain Bike Adventure - MTB tours, bike sales and repairs. Bed and Breakfast + Resto Cafe + wifi
1298-b V.Rama Ave, Guadalupe, Cebu City | 0942.959.7451
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
»» next Taveling story: Salvacion-Cheey Traverse
»» back to Taveling
»» back to Homepage