July 17, 2015
Abaca Baking Company (formerly A Cafe)
5 stars (out of 5)
Food Type: artisan crafted breads, baked goods (from-scratch), classic Western food, brewed coffee, latte, espresso
Location: Abaca Baking Company, Crossroads, Banilad Road, Cebu City, 6000 Cebu
Accessible Price Point Entry
Every once in a while, a very good thing catches my attention. In Cebu, Abaca Baking Company did just that. It's a trendy all-day breakfast cafe in the fashionable Crossroads of Cebu - fresh baked croissants, fresh brewed coffee, friendly staff, and an accessible price point entry. Yes, you can go high-end and spend P400+ on a sandwich, as it caters to Cebu's well-heeled clientele, but for a budget backpacker like me, they also offer an easy way in - P60 brewed coffee with free refills and super-sized pan de sal for a reasonable P10. Yes, for as low as P70, you get Parisian cafe ambience, fast wifi, great food and professional service. That is what sets it apart from your usual high-brow latté brewery.
The more I try other fashionable cafes, the more I appreciate Abaca Baking Company. Where other cafes give you watered-down P75 coffee, Abaca 's P60 brewed coffee (with refill) gives you full flavor - there's no comparison. Their croissant, pastries, and sandwiches are up to global standards - the kitchen guys know what they're doing. I never got a hint of any cost cutting either. Simply put, you get quality with everything they serve - even the budget entries. That says a lot about their commitment to standards.
Breakfast is busy and bustling. You see what is obviously a homogenous gathering of Cebu's Ferragamo crowd. No bad seat either - Cebu's fashionable and beautiful seem to like this place too.
As a last hurrah, they sell day-old bread for a steal! P45/piece bagel sells for P50 for 5! I wish I was on my way home already and I would have gotten it for bagel French Toast the following day. Bang for the buck with value added - you can't beat that.
Everything at this cafe works - they get it! The vibrant energy, stylish decor, the perky and knowledgeable staff, high speed wifi, climate control, clean washroom, affordable price-point entry, deep discount on day-old bread, etc. Flaws? I'm still looking for one :) Don't take my word for it, just stop by.
(some pictures lifted from their website)
Abaca Baking Company
Location: Crossroads, Banilad Road, Cebu City, 6000 Cebu
Tel: (032) 262 0969
Hours: Daily 7am to 10pm
Cebu City, Philippines
Tops - hilltop offering panoramic view of the city
Taoist Temple - temple on a hillslope in Lahug with panoramic view of the city
- Hostel Seven Cebu - newly opened, resto/bar, central location, solo/group travellers
Juana Osmeña Street, Cebu City
- S Hotel & Residences - new hotel, luxury rooms, central location
827 M. Velez corner Andres Abellana St.
resto / cafe / bar
- Fujinoya - new and refreshing twists to Western style desserts using Japanese techniques
Wilson St., Lahug, Cebu City - tel. 888.6075
- Bad Boys Wingz - Buffalo Wings, unique versions of sauces! Great service, accommodating staff, bad boys vibe
Kasambagan, Cebu City | (032) 415 4811
- Love Yoga World - yoga studio
11/fl, Skyrise 2 Tower, IT Park, Lahug, Cebu City
- Yoga Now - first Yoga and Wellness studio in Mactan offering daily Yoga Classes
at The Yacht Club Mactan
- Cebu Mountain Bike Adventure - MTB tours, bike sales and repairs. Bed and Breakfast + Resto Cafe + wifi
1298-b V.Rama Ave, Guadalupe, Cebu City | 0942.959.7451
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
Bernadette Wan Pacana
(July 18, 2015) I love ABC!
(July 18, 2015) My favorite when in Cebu! Biscuits and gravy, fast wifi and comfy chairs. I make it my office when I'm there.
July 17, 2015
»» next story: Peoplescape and Synergy
»» back to Restaurant Review
»» back to Food Odyssey
»» back to Homepage