May 9, 2017
Detox Bar Lunch
Location: Detox Bar, Maria Luisa Subdivision, Cebu City, Philippines
Anne, a yogini friend, invited me to join her and her guests from Manila at Detox Bar - a plant-based health restaurant that also makes its own fruit/veggie drinks. Her guests were yoga teacher Nonie Fernando and his psychologist wife, Peachy Gonzales.
I hung out at the kitchen talking to the staff and observing how things were done. They are also good friends from the Studio 108 days - Manalesa, CheChe, Joli, Sylvia & Rose. The kitchen was clean, orderly, spacious and well-ventilated - the kind of kitchen I'd like to work-in. Food preparation was hygenic and meticulous. Staff pacing was not rushed...just right to get things done accordingly.
The pizza squares were colorful like an artist's palatte with flavors to match. The veggie Kare-Kare laced with vegan bagoong was bursting with flavor - you wouldn't even notice there was no meat. We had turmeric rice and black rice. Juice was made from fresh turmeric. Corn coffee came with this delicately fluffy Indian dessert. The meal was sumptuous, healthy and more importantly, delicious! This is what I call guilt-free indulgence.
Nonie shared his interesting life as a hippie-turned-monk in his younger days. He worked himself to become an Ananda Marga Dada until he felt the need to move on and pursue his own vision. Like most evolved people, he sees the connectedness of everyone and how we, as a collective, can spur the change we wish to see. Catch his yoga class at Detox Bar, May 12 at 6pm.
Good food, good company...can't get any better than that. Thank you Anne for the invite.
Next stop: Be-In Gathering at Jeanne's
Cebu City, Philippines
More Information about Cebu City
Cebu City to Camotes Island
- via Consuelo - from Cebu City, take the northbound bus passing through Danao and get off at the Danao Port. At the Port, take a Jomalia Shipping boat for Consuelo (San Francisco, Camotes), P220/pax, a/c, 2 hours, daily trip - 5:30am, 7:00am (special trip), 8:30am, 12:00 noon (express), 2:30pm, 5:30pm and 9:00pm (express, Fri/Sat/Sun only).
Camotes Islands to Cebu City
- Poro - Cebu City (fastest and most direct) - go to Poro and take the 8am or 5pm Ocean Jet to Pier One in Cebu City, P380/pax/aircon, 2 hours
- Consuelo - Danao - Cebu City - go to Consuelo (San Francisco) and take the Jomalia Shipping boat to Danao, P220/pax, a/c, 2 hours, daily trip - 5:30am, 7:00am (special trip), 8:30am, 12:00 noon (express), 2:30pm, 5:30pm and 9:00pm (express, Fri/Sat/Sun only). From Danao, take the Ceres Bus to Cebu City
Cebu City to Dumaguete, Negros Oriental by Boat
- George and Peter Lines - Mon/Thur/Sat/Sun 10pm, (035)225.4337, 0922.557.1023
- Oceanjet - via Tagbilaran, daily 6am, firstname.lastname@example.org, 0918.898.2188
- Cokaliong - Mon/Tue/Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat 7pm, Sun 12pm, 6 hours, (035)225.3599
Cebu City to Dumaguete via Liloan
- Cebu City South Terminal - take the southbound Ceres bus to Liloan, P200, 5 hours
- Liloan - the bus drops you off at the Liloan Port where you board the Fastcraft to Sibulan, Negros Oriental, P62, 30 mins
- Sibulan - at the Sibulan Port, the jeeps wait for Fastcraft passengers to take them to the public market in Dumaguete, P12, 30 mins.
- Public Market - at the market, you can take any tricycle to your hotel, P8 for short trips
Cebu City to Tagbilaran, Bohol
- Weesam Express - Pier 4, departs 9:00 AM, 2:00 PM, 6:30 PM, 2 hours
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - Pier 1, departs 6-7-8-9:20-10:40-11:40AM, 1-2-4:20-6:35PM, 2 hours
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63 932 8734 885 / +63 922 8572 300
- SuperCat (2GO) - Pier 1, departs 08:15-13:30-15:10-18:00-19:40
+63 32 233 7000
Suggested Destinations in Cebu
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
»» next story: Be-In Gathering at Jeanne's
»» next Food Odyssey story: Palm Grass Hotel Food Tasting
»» back to Food Odyssey
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | ALL BLOGS