Mar 23, 2014
SUP Yoga with Jeanne Torrefranca at Plantation Bay
Location: Plantation Bay Resort and Spa, Marigondon, Mactan Island, Cebu (province), Philippines
As good fortune would have it, I got tagged along by Jeanne for her SUP yoga class at Plantation Bay. Together with me was Noricel and Regina - all yoga teachers themselves. RV, another yogi and teacher-in-training, later on joined us. We're all new to SUP Yoga and we're all excited and curious - not to mention that Plantation is an excellent chillout place.
In this day and age, yoga is alive and kicking. Testament to that are the many permutations of yoga as it is combined with other established disciplines to come up with something totally new -
Christian Yoga (same moves, different script), etc. In time, I could imagine the ones that work stay and become mainstream and classic. With so many things happening right now where people's creativity is pushed to the hilt, it's simply amazing what new forms of fitness and discipline come out of the gyms and from their personal practice.
What is Standup Paddleboard Yoga (SUP Yoga)?
SUP Yoga is a cross between stand-up paddle surfing and yoga. You go on the water with the SUP and perform yoga asanas on top of the SUP, hoping you won't fall in the water. Needless to say, the pressing challenge is to keep your balance.
This is my first time. So far, I found that only a few select yoga poses can be done on SUP. Even the relatively easy ones to perform on solid ground are very difficult, if not impossible on the SUP, like for instance, the
Extended Hand To Big Toe Pose (Utthita Hasta Padangustana). And for the more advanced poses with asymmetrical stances, it's practically impossible - eg.
Bird of Paradise. I've seen pictures of very difficult poses on the SUP but noticed the SUP was already on the sand (with water up to its sides....a cheat).
New Asana for SUP
SUP Yoga is new. While not all yoga poses are possible, it doesn't mean you cannot develop new ones designed specifically for SUP. New yoga poses can be developed. What qualifies a pose to be a yoga pose? It has to be:
- sound architecture (foundation)
- therapeutic in nature
- have symmetry (sacred geometry)
- steady, stable and alert - when this quality exists, you feel no tension, tightness or mental distraction in the posture (Sthira)
- comfortable and relaxed - you feel relaxed but not sleepy, dull or lethargic (Sukham)
The Fun-Factor is definitely high on SUP yoga, specially with friends - it's almost like playing beach ball or frisbee. You get wet and you're outdoors! But as a serious yoga discipline? I'm not sure yet. If you can't perform all the asanas, then that's a drawback. However, with its increasing popularity, it continues to evolve. Who knows what creative new poses these practicioners can come up with? The final chapter is yet to be written.
Thank you Jeanne for tagging me along!
Pictures taken by RV Chua
Joanna Co Lizares
(Mar 30, 2014) I'm going to bug you guys for that class when if and when i get there. haha
Bernadette Wan Pacana
(Mar 30, 2014) Yay! you finally tried it Gigit!
- Ashtanga Primary Series Yoga in Cebu May 5, 2017
- 3-Night Cebu Stopover Apr 6-9, 2017
- Thank You Cebu, til the Next Time Oct 21, 2013 - May 15, 2014
- Aqua Yoga with Jeanne Torrefranca at Dragonfly Pool May 4, 2014
- SUP Yoga with Jeanne Torrefranca at Plantation Bay Mar 23, 2014
- Jeanne's Community Outreach Program Mar 2, 2014
- New Year Yoga at Dragonfly Yoga Studio Jan 1, 2014
- Fab People: Jeanne Torrefranca (Yogini) Dec 25, 2013
- Cebu Yoga Immersion Nov 14, 2013
Cebu City, Philippines
Tops - hilltop offering panoramic view of the city
Taoist Temple - temple on a hillslope in Lahug with panoramic view of the city
- Hostel Seven Cebu - newly opened, resto/bar, central location, solo/group travellers
Juana Osmeña Street, Cebu City
- S Hotel & Residences - new hotel, luxury rooms, central location
827 M. Velez corner Andres Abellana St.
resto / cafe / bar
- Fujinoya - new and refreshing twists to Western style desserts using Japanese techniques
Wilson St., Lahug, Cebu City - tel. 888.6075
- Bad Boys Wingz - Buffalo Wings, unique versions of sauces! Great service, accommodating staff, bad boys vibe
Kasambagan, Cebu City | (032) 415 4811
- Love Yoga World - yoga studio
11/fl, Skyrise 2 Tower, IT Park, Lahug, Cebu City
- Yoga Now - first Yoga and Wellness studio in Mactan offering daily Yoga Classes
at The Yacht Club Mactan
- Cebu Mountain Bike Adventure - MTB tours, bike sales and repairs. Bed and Breakfast + Resto Cafe + wifi
1298-b V.Rama Ave, Guadalupe, Cebu City | 0942.959.7451
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
Mar 23, 2014
»» next Yoga story: Kundalini Yoga with Rebecca Youngdahl Lombardi at Dragonfly Yoga Studio
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage