Apr 26, 2020
(updated Jun 23, 2021 Chiang Mai)
Muladhara (root chakra)
Form: lotus flower with 4 red petals bearing the Sanskrit letters va, scha, sha and sa
Statement: "I need to survive - food, clothing and shelter"
Blocked by: fear (know your fear and transcend it to open up this chakra)
Location : Nong Khai, Thailand
Muladhara (root chakra)
The Muladhara Chakra is represented by a red 4-petaled lotus flower next to the rectum towards the spinal tip. It's associated mantra is LAM.
Muladhara is also the root chakra and provides foundation for all the chakras - best to start developing this chakra before all the others. Analogy: in a building, the foundation has to be done first. The depth and strength of the foundation dictate the stability of the building. Traditionally, the yogis develop the Muladhara before the other chakras. However, in the last decade of paradigm-shifting where new flavors of the month are in vogue, there has been a push for the Ajna Chakra first - this is a big mistake according to the old school yogis.
Our primal instinct where our animal fight-or-flight response is centered here. Pranayama focused on the Muladhara develops vigor and body hardness against life's challenges. In Maslow's hierarchy of needs, survival first (food, clothing and shelter) before heaven in our minds.
Our accumulated karmic balance sheet (debts and merits) are stored here. This is. This is where we keep records of our ancestral lineage and together with their survival accounts that make our genetic mold.
What are you Afraid of?
The activation of the Muladhara Chakra is blocked by fear. It is important to understand what your fears are. Afraid of losing your fitness and become debilitated? Afraid of rejection by the opposite sex? Afraid of being outsmarted? Whatever those fears are, flush them down. When you become aware of them, they have already served their purpose and need to be expunged from your system. Then the Muladhara Chakra opens up, clearing the way to the higher chakras.
Pranayama to Awaken the Kundalini from the Muladhara Chakra
This exercise (sadhana) is an amalgamation of full lotus seated pose (padmasana), regulated breathing (pranayama), visualization into existence (bhavana), and breath-hold on the inhalation (puraka kumbhaka) and energy locks (kumbhaka).
In Padmasana facing east or north, holding the Gyana Mudra, set your intention and focus on the Muladhara Chakra. Exhale to empty your lungs. Now, inhale slowly while visualizing the awakening of the Kundalini Shakti in the Muladhara Chakra. As you continue the inhalation, clearly visualize the Kundalini finding its way up, chakra by chakra, along the central energy channel (Sushumna). Synchronize the breathing so that by the time the lungs are fully inflated, the Kundalini is on the very top chakra, the Bramaghuna. Hold the breath in, suck-in the tummy (Uddiyana Bandha), chin to the chest (Jalandara Bandha), and visualize the entire body covered in white light, power and wisdom. AS you begin the exhalation, imagine the Kundalini descending its way down the Sushumna, again, chakra by chakra, until it is back at the Muladhara Chakra. At this point, the lungs should be fully empty with no residual air. Repeat the process. This process will hasten the awakening of the Kundalini.
Notes on Muladhara Chakra
- Sushumna - Sushumna is the most important of all the energy channels (Nadis). The nerve-current moves through Sushumna in the spinal canal from Muladhara to crown of the head, Sahasrara.
Supernatural Gifts (Siddhis)
Meditating on Muladhara brings about special superhuman abilities as follows:
- ability to jump long distances, almost similar to flying (Darduri siddhi)
- ability to transcend time - present, past and future (Trikala jnana)
- control over the elements of the earth - becoming air, flesh, water, etc.
- to slow down ageing and live long (Kayakalpa siddhi) by conserving the nectar of life (amrita)
The 90-Minute Class
As a grounding chakra, it is relatively easy to spot the Muladhara level of a person. I've met conscious people who seem to live 50,000 feet above sea level and unaware of their spacey state. They are mindful of their breath but miss appointments, meetings and deadlines. Sorry to say, but monks seem to behave like that. Hello from planet Earth! This happens when other chakras were developed first before the Muladhara - there is no solid foundation for grounding. They seem to be oblivious to the demands of reality.
On the other extreme, there are people who can't seem to evolve - they are simply trapped in the dog-eat-dog struggle of daily life and have to constantly fight for survival. They remain reliant in their Muladhara Chakra for their day-to-day survival, but seem to get stuck there.
I believe the ideal balance, and this is what I am attempting to achieve, is to have one leg on solid ground and the other leg on Cloud 9. On one hand, I can still function in society, talk to business people, politicians and householders and deliver my projects on time according to specs. On the other hand, I am also mindful of the path to being the best evolved version of myself, establishing that connection between me and the universe at large.
The Muladhara Chakra is an essential component in the yoga practice for many reasons. It's the foundational chakra that holds stability of the other chakras, it's the seat of the Kundalini Shakti, the seat of the sankini nadi where all 72,000 nadis in the body converge, and this is where the 3 most important nadis begin - Ida, Pingala and Sushumna. Self-realization through chakra awakening begins at the Muladhara Chakra. Without the Muladhara, self-realization is not possible.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Seed Mantra LAM Chanting Meditation
Muladhara Tuning and Balancing Music
at 432 hz by Taos
Muladhara Chakra Meditation Chant
[Seed Mantra LAM Chants]
(Jun 23, 202) Picnic after yoga? Nice!
(Apr 28, 2020) Your body looks like it's made from rigid discipline!! 🙂🙂🙂
Leave a comment?
- Yoga Makaranda 1 by Tirumalai Krishnamacharya
- Yoga Makaranda II by Tirumalai Krishnamacharya
- Yoga and Kriya: A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques by Swami Satyananda Saraswati
- Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha by Swami Satyananda Saraswati
Nong Khai Travel Information / Tips
Vientiane to Nong Khai by bus
At the Khua Din Bus Terminal, you can board the #14 bus bound for Buddha Park. It will make a stop on the Friendship Bridge border - 15 mins, B8000. Go to Laos Immigration to exit. Board the special bus to cross the Friendship Bridge, Kip 4,000 or Baht 20. It will stop at Thai Immigration. Get processed. From there, board a tuk-tuk for Nong Khai, 5kms.
Nong Khai Attractions
- Nong Khai Aquarium -
- Salakaewkoo (Wat Khaek) -
- Issan Rum Distillery -
- Wat Pho Chai -
- Lan Phaya Nak -
- Tha Sadet Market -
- Nong Khai Muay Thai Gym -
- Phrathat Bang Phuan -
Nong Khai Blogs by TheLoneRider
- Nong Khai - Chiang Khan Roadtrip June 18, 2020
- Life in Nong Khai Mar 13 - June 18, 2020
- Peoplescape of Nong Khai Jun 17, 2020
- Exploring Nong Khai's Cafe Culture Jun 10, 2020
- Nong Khai Street Art June 4, 2020
- Sirsasana A & B May 20, 2020
- Structured Water, Water Therapy and Nauli May 1, 2020
- Visiting the Salakaewkoo (Buddha Park) in Nong Khai, Thailand Apr 23, 2020
- Fitness in Quarantine Times Apr 20, 2020
- Covid 19: Lion - Buffalo Analogy Apr 13, 2020
- Covid 19 and the Conspiracies Mar - Apr, 2020
- Nong Khai with Cheng Mar 18 - Apr ???, 2020
- Covid 19 and Pranayama Mar 20, 2020
- Giant Mekong Catfish at the Nong Khai Aquarium Mar 19, 2020
- Drawn to Nong Khai, Thailand Mar 12, 2020
Travel Tips for Thailand
How to Get a 60-Day Thai Tourist Visa and then Extend by another 30 Days
This process is BEFORE Covid 19. Not sure what it is now.
- Bring the following to the Thai embassy:
a) proof of money (bank statement will suffice)
b) flight booking to Thailand
c) onward flight back to your country from Thailand
d) filled-in tourist visa form
e) 2 passport pictures
f) hotel booking in Thailand (they didn't ask me for this but better be safe)
g) passport with at least 6 months validity
- After handing over all the documents, they will ask you to come pick your passport with the visa the following day from 4 to 5pm. That's it!
- NOTE: after 2 successful attempts, I was already questioned the 3rd time.
60-Day Thai Tourist Visa
NOTE: There is no need to go back to your country to get the Thai tourist visa. Any major city with a Thai Embassy will do. Apparently there is also no need to have an invitation from a Thai establishment to justify the visa.
- bring the following to the Immigration Office:
a) passport (make sure your Tourist Visa hasn't expired yet)
b) Baht 1900
c) photocopy of your passport + visa duration date stamp + TM6 card (white immigration card) and sign all the copies
d) completed TM7 visa extension form (available at the Immigration Office)
e) one 4cmx6cm passport picture
- submit the above to the Front Desk. They will give you a stub with your number on it. Take a seat and wait for your number to be called
- when your number is called, your picture will be taken. Then go back to your seat. They will call you again.
- when they call you again, they'll give you your passport with your extended visa. That's it!
- when there are no lines, the whole process can take only 10 minutes
NOTE: When your 60-day visa is close to expiry and you want to extend your stay. No need to leave Thailand.
Book Train Tickets in Thailand
Book Train Tickets in Thailand Online by Train36.com
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
»» next Chakra: Svadhisthana (sacral chakra)
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | ALL BLOGS