Sep 2, 2017
Location : Moalboal, Cebu, Philippines
Editha's Southsea Holiday Houses
I would have already left Moalboal after my 30-day room rental in Poblacion, but I passed by this manicured row of houses by the sea in Tongo. After proposing to the owner what I can do for her on the internet in exchange for a 10-day stay, we shook hands on the deal - thus my Moalboal chapter found another 10-day extension.
Where I stayed was not just a room but a full house - dining area, living room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, front porch and a balcony! There is even a common spacious alfresco hut hanging by the water on concrete stilts. Location was ideal for any long-term tenant - it was quiet but just a short ride away from the party scene of Panagsama.
This also allowed me to extend lodging invites to friends.
I'm glad that with my presence and place to stay in Moalboal, Jeanne and her Cebu City friends defaulted to Moalboal. Their visit would be a highlight for me. Often, I would take one on a drift-snorkeling along the drop-off where they could see sea snakes, turtles and more marine life. For someone who hasn't done any kind of snorkeling, that would be a homerun!
Game of Thrones
Often, I would default to 3 Crowns Resto at Poblacion for pizza, wifi and air-conditioning. I would normally end up just downloading Game of Thrones episodes...or GOT Rewind (compilation of scenes by one character throughout the entire series). Game of Thrones sets a new benchmark in tv series programming. It's rare that a tv series grips the global stage and have everyone talk about it with giddy excitement. This last season though is plagued by too many implausibilities to make it believable. Still one of the greatest shows, if not the greatest.
I also used the time in Moalboal to learn more about Bitcoin. It's not easy understanding the nuts and bolts of Bitcoin - hard forking, Bitcoin Cash vs Bitcoin Legacy, offline wallet vs online wallet, etc. Its value has skyrocketed with dizzying speed. When I opened up a Bitcoin account last year, the value was 1 BTC = US$624. As of this writing, 1 BTC = US$4,750! Had I had money when I opened up the account, I would have purchased as much as I could instead of just a token purchase. I'd be rich now. With increased speculation about Bitcoin, increased consumer use and adaptation, Bitcoin can only go up in price in the long term.
My mountain bike was a great help specially when I stayed at the remote Edith's Houses. I could come and go anytime as I please without any reliance on the expensive tricycle rides - specially at night. The only downside was when I had to leave Moalboal. I could not possibly carry all my heavy and bulky bags and still bring a full bicycle with me. To address the issue, I had to make a special trip to Cebu City just for the bike. That was a lot of trouble!
After almost 2 months, I finally had to bid Moalboal goodbye. I clearly overstayed. Without much happening to me, I should have left much earlier. Instead, I just got sick and languished. Life on the beach where the sardines run wild and free, where turtles are an integral part of the seascape and where diving is at its best, finally came to a close. It has been a great run but it's time to hit the open road once more. At this point, any place but the beach.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
Goodbye and Thank You, Ubay(Nov 14-Dec 13, 2017) After 30 days, it was time to pack-up again for a new destination. This traveling format has been challenging with Ubay. I would have left much sooner if not for my 30-day constraint. I didn't really meet anyone, it was always hot, humid and dusty, their attractions are not really noteworthy and there isn't really a comfortable hang-out place. What exactly did I come away with?....more »»
Moalboal with Elizabeth(Dec 4-9, 2022) I really had no plans for Moalboal. But somehow, my snorkeling gear which I haven't seen in 5 years were returned to me. Then my friend from Chiang Mai, Elizabeth, scheduled a trip to Moalboal to get her Open-Water Certificate. My only reply to her was, 'Let's travel together.' Thus Moalboal revisited...more »»
Moalboal Google Map
Moalboal, Cebu, Philippines
- Sardine Bowl - millions of sardines milled around in front of Panagsama Beach
- Pescador Island - short boat ride, famous dive spots
- Panagsama Beach - sardine bowl, white sand beaches and the hub of tourism/expat activity in Moalboal
- Basdaku White Beach - stretch of long white sand beach in Basdaku
- Scuba, Freediving and Snorkeling - the entire Moalboal peninsula is a massive coral reef with depths reaching 300m
- Laguno Bed & Breakfast - towncenter location, short ride to sardines, whalesharks, canyoneering, hikes
- Editha's Southsea Holiday Houses - quiet, detached houses, beachfront location, mature community, long-term tenants
Tongo Point Rd, Moalboal, 6032 Cebu
Travel Tips about Moalboal
- money changer - there are 2 money changes here in Panagsama Beach - Saavedra Cottages and the small store in front of Cora's Cottages. They both offer dismal rates. Best exchange rate is at Gaisano Moalboal town center (bring an ID!!!) followed by M. Lhuillier, then Palawan
- weather - even though it might be raining cats-and-dogs in Cebu City or in Negros Oriental, the sun is likely to be out in Moalboal. It only rains there if there is an actual monsoon. So don't let that rain scare you off from your dive trip.
- tricycle - rides could end up pricey if you don't plan for it. Best to get a price established with a tricycle or motorcycle driver as you arrive (usually P50/pax for single motorcycle ride and P100/trip for a tricycle) to White Beach. Then arrange for a date/time pick-up from your resort at that same price rate (otherwise you will end up paying for a round trip)
- folding bike - if you really want to save up on tricycle fare (which could seriously add up if you keep going back and forth from Panagsama - White Beach), bring a folding bike with you. A folding bike fits in the under-belly of a Ceres bus
- Town Center to Panagsama Beach - if you want to pay the local rate (not tourist rate) of P10/pax from Town Center to Panagsama Beach, take the tricycle behind Three Sixty Pharmacy. The tricycle will wait until its full before taking off. Tell the driver you're going to "Baybay". On the way back, from Panagsama Beach to Town Center, walk a bit here and board the local tricycle. It will wait again to fill up before taking off. Best to pay the tricycle driver while awaiting for other passengers. That way, he can't charge you tourist fare when you alight.
- Town Center to White Beach - local tricycle rate is P25/pax beside Three Sixty Pharmacy. You should see tricycles with painted signboard, "White Beach". Tell the driver you're going to "Basdaku"
How to get to Moalboal from Dumaguete:
- From Dumaguete, take a bus or jeep going north and ask to be dropped-off at the Sibulan Town Proper (~P10, 10 mins). Take the short walk to the pier.
- Take either the pumpboat or fastcraft to Liloan, Cebu (~P50, 30 mins)
- From the Liloan port, take a tricycle to the Bato Bus Terminal (~P20 if shared, 10 mins)
- From the terminal, take the Cebu City bus via Barili and ask to dropped-off to Moalboal Town Proper (P70, ~2 hours)
How to get to Moalboal from Cebu City:
- take a Ceres Bus at the South Bus Terminal going to Bato (make sure its via Barili) and get off at the Moalboal Town Center - 3 hours, P130 (aircon)
- From Town Center, take a tricycle to your resort. Town Center to Panagsama Beach (~P50 if no other passenger, 10 mins).
»» next story:
Travel Parenting by Fritz Blackburn
»» next Goodbye: Goodbye and Thank You, Ubay
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS