Sections > Peoplescape | Politics
Dec 21, 2010
Update (April 12, 2019): After a 6-year exile inside the Ecuadorian Embassy in the UK, Julian Assange has been forcibly taken by the UK police to face extradition charges by the US for malicious charges fabricated against him.
Who's This Guy?
Julian Assange is the 39-year old editor-in-chief of whistle-blower site, Wikileaks, which he founded in 2006. At 16, he got into hacking under the avatar Mendax, and codified the hacking dos and don'ts to the denizens of the subculture. Julian Assange is the epitomé of the cyber warrior/visionary who employs digital technology to efficiently bring about profound political change through mass leaking of documents in its entirety.
|We were taken to war in Iraq on a lie. Hundreds of thousands are now dead. Just imagine if the men who planned this war crime back in 2002 had had a WikiLeaks to deal with. They might not have been able to pull it off.
-- Michael Moore
The Silent Majority
With the release of over 250,000 classified US diplomatic cables to the general public by Wikileaks, Julian Assange is thrown once again into the controversial limelight where he is villified by The Man and his minions, and proclaimed hero by those who simply want transparency and accountability by big government (meaning an overwhelming majority of the world at large, most of whom still remain silent).
Intimidation, Coercion and Saber-Rattling
Already, the establishment's machinery shifted into high gear to shut him up. The fact that they're doing this blatantly attests to the establishment's true nature. To date, they've employed the following dirty tactics to intimidate and coerce:
|What if within days of August 4th, 1964 -- after the Pentagon had made up the lie that our ship was attacked by the North Vietnamese in the Gulf of Tonkin -- there had been a WikiLeaks to tell the American people that the whole thing (Vietnam War) was made up? I guess 58,000 of our soldiers (and 2 million Vietnamese) might be alive today.
-- Michael Moore
- sexual allegations - This is really a cheap shot and only shows how desperate Big Brother has become. Even during the ancient times, the specter of sex, being such a potent weapon, has been used by the establishment to discredit those who oppose them. They've used it on Siddharta Gautama (the Buddha) 3000 years ago and today, it's being used by the Zimbabwean state media against Bishop Trevor Manhanga. I would believe the establishment if they claimed Julian exaggerated on his resume, but sexual misconduct? It's been done to death. Be creative, guys!
- arrested and charged Bradley E. Manning - Manning is a United States Army soldier who supplied the classified dossier to Wikileaks
- hacker boy - he doesn't deny this and in fact is proud of it, but that was 20 years ago! How come this press is going out now purporting he's still into this?
- call to harm - Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell has called Assange "a high-tech terrorist". Former US House speaker Newt Gingrich said, "He should be treated as an enemy combatant." Jeffrey T. Kuhner said Assange should be treated "the same way as other high-value terrorist targets". Former Nixon aide and talk radio host G. Gordon Liddy suggested that Assange's name be added to the "kill list" of terrorists who can be assassinated without a trial. Tom Flanagan, former campaign manager for Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, commented that, "Julian Assange should be assassinated." Bob Beckel wants Julian Assange assassinated!
Awards Accorded to Julian Assange:
- 2009 Amnesty International Media Award for exposing extrajudicial assassinations in Kenya
- 2008 Economist Index on Censorship Award
- 2010 Sam Adams Award for Integrity in Intelligence
- British magazine New Statesman voted Julian as number 23 among the "The World's 50 Most Influential Figures 2010"
- Utne Reader Magazine named Assange as one of the "25 Visionaries Who Are Changing Your World"
- Readers' Choice voted him for Time magazine's 2010 Person of the Year
|How is it that a team of five people (Wikileaks.com) has managed to release to the public more suppressed information, than the rest of the world press combined? It's disgraceful.
-- Julian Assange
Exposé by Wikileaks:
- extrajudicial killings in Kenya
- toxic waste dumping on the African coast
- Church of Scientology manuals
- Guantanamo Bay procedures
- July 12, 2007 Baghdad airstrike video
What Others are Saying About Julian Assange:
- CounterPunch: Australia's most infamous former computer hacker
- The Age: one of the most intriguing people in the world and internet's freedom fighter
- The Personal Democracy Forum: Australia's most famous ethical computer hacker
Why should we rally behind Julain Assange? Because he represents transparency and accountability in governance - something so essential but virtually non-existent in our society. The Philippines for instance. It might seem far-fetched, but I wonder what kind of back-door deal was negotiated by the powers-that-be that threw 80% of the population below the poverty line while the rest of Southeast Asia's economy is bursting at the seams? Who sold us out? How? Decisions made at the highest levels trickle down the social totem pole and hits everyone - and the thing is, we're not even aware how we were played.
The poor coconut vendor is clueless that his daily toil for a meager P300 was caused by IMF sanctions with a green light from the local oligarchs for a sweet deal on copra? I'm shooting speculation from the top of my head, but I'm sure that this level of poverty (and the consequential high crime, social unrest, etc.) did not just happen on its own.
Back in the day, there was no way for the little guy to have a voice. But now, technology is alreay in place to empower the Joe Blows of the world (guys like you and me who put their pants on one leg at a time). With no money, you can use the internet to sway public opinion by exposing political wrong-doings, government misappropriation, and the like. Let's use the social networks - Facebook, blog sites, email, etc. to expose governments and all its shady back-door deals.
By remaining true to his resolve, Julian Assange has made very powerful enemies. Supporting him is a call to action that governments should be made transparent and accountable. I implore everyone to all pitch-in in support of Julian Assange. We all lose if we allow any government to prosecute, extradite or assassinate this extra-ordinary individual.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
Reader Comments:Racket Yan
(Jan 21, 2011) I am a lurker on your site...saw your post regarding Wikileaks' Assange... you may be interested to learn that the Philippines has got its own version of Assange and Wikileaks... Coconuter (still active) and PinoyLeaks (now defunct)
- Related Link:
Political Statements by TheLoneRider
- Kian Loyd Delos Santos, the Last Straw Breaking Duterte's Back Aug 21, 2017
- Duterte Mania in Davao Oct 12, 2016
- The Blast that Rocked Davao Sep 2, 2016
- The Legacy of President NoyNoy (PNoy) Aquino May 28, 2016
- Bernie Sanders, US Presidential Candidate 2016 Feb 9, 2016
- We Don't Care Jan 23, 2016
- The Duterte Phenomenon Oct 21, 2015
- Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew Mar 23, 2015
- Pending US Invasion of Syria Sep 7, 2013
- Julian Assange (Journalism Activist) Dec 21, 2010
- President NoyNoy Aquino Aug 2, 2010
- Alan Greenspan Concedes Being Wrong Jan 9, 2009
- Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid Dec 13, 2008
- Hot Money, Warm Bodies: The Downfall of Philippine President Estrada Jan 29, 2007
- Walk Out - Teach In March 17, 2006
- UP Republic March 3, 2006
- People Power? February 24, 2006
- Lee Kuan Yew and Ferdinand Marcos Jan 26, 2003
- Eleanor Roosevelt Oct 22, 2002
Silver Surfer(Mar 14, 2011) Unlike most Marvel comic heroes, the Silver Surfer doesn't just blast his opponents into smithereens in an action packed storyline. Quite the opposite, he usually soars alone on his impregnable silver surf to the utmost reaches of the intergalactic universe consumed by his thoughts.....more »»
»» back to Fab People
»» back to Politics
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS