Oct 4-7, 2018
Chillin' at The Social House - Kitchen & Tap
Location: The Social House - Kitchen & Tap, No (18/A) Bo Yar Nyunt Street, Dagon Township 11421 Yangon, Myanmar
The Social House - Kitchen & Tap
Social House was both unplanned and an Easter Egg. I saw it while walking along the animated Bo Yar Nyunt Street. It was inviting from the outside and engaging on the inside. The interior art deco was innovative - wood stump ends for a wall? This is stuff that's just thrown away. But in an artist's rendition, it becomes a decorative acoustic wall. Patina-stained GI sheets? Again, put it as a wall backgrounder and you evoke an industrial ambience. The owners had good energy. We talked and I managed to have a working relationship with them - a little cash and consumables in exchange for web deliverables.
It's uncanny that this happened a day after I "talked" to my universe saying, "Dude, you gotta gimme a break!" Yes, it does cut me some slack from time to time. With my consumables, I was able to treat friends. People do me favors all the time and I'm just looking for ways to say "Thank you". With a little more cash, I could give myself a break from the daily $.32 street food I had been having.
Simple life, simple pleasures...it's a good life!
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Reader Comments:Kyaw Soe Htet
(Oct 4, 2018) Had a great time with this gentleman who is surprisingly fluent in English and had a lot to share worthy to keep them in my heart. Hope to see you again.
(Oct 9, 2018) ...great sharing insight with you as well, Kyaw
(Oct 10, 2018) Have a nice day Gigit, we've had good times in Yangon. See you soon & let's have yoga pratice, lunch and Cafe Americano.
(Oct 10, 2018) ha-ha, let's go crazy and do a bucket-list check-off !!!!
The Meditator who Cried Foul!
(Oct 10, 2018) I wish for the best blessings for you dear Gigit on all your ways! Hope to see you again possibly soon. 🙂
(Oct 10, 2018) Thank you Tom, looking forward to that day 🙂
Leave a comment?
Next stop:: 14 Days in YangonYANGON
- 14 Days in Yangon Sept 24 - Oct 8, 2018
- Chillin' at The Social House - Kitchen & Tap Oct 4-7, 2018
- Abs-Yoga with BeautyLand Hotel II Staff Oct 3-7, 2018
- CouchSurfing in Yangon Oct 6, 2018
- Vipassana in the Tradition of Sayagi U Ba Khin as Taught by U Ko Lay Oct 6, 2018
- Sunrise Yoga with Jerome at Yangon Yoga House Oct 5, 2018
- Stumbling Upon the Shwedagon Pagoda Oct 2, 2018
- Movie Review: The Divine Order (2017) Sep 29, 2018
- 'Clean Yangon Green Yangon' Street Clean-Up Sep 29, 2018
- Movie Review: A Serious Game (2016) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: Amy (2015) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: In The Fade (2017) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Perfect Strangers (2016) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Little Wing (2016) Sep 26, 2018
- Mundo Lingo Yangon at 50th Street Cafe Sep 25, 2018
- A First Timer in Yangon, Myanmar Sep 24, 2018
Yangon (city), Myanmar
Yangon International Airport
How to Get to Downtown Yangon from the Yangon International Airport (RGN)
- take the shuttle bus from Airport to Downtown Yangon, it costs MMK 500. It passes through the main artery of Yangon.
Yangon Travel Tips
- useful site: Wiki Travel Yangon
USEFUL INFORMATION(as of Jan 2020)
Myanmar FYI / Travel Tips
- accommodation - not all destinations in Myanmar can accommodate foreign travelers. Walk-in hotel guests could be refused. Better make an online booking, or make sure the hotel you wish to stay, at is listed in the online booking sites (Agoda, Booking.com, etc.)
- local time - adjust time 30 mins behind from Thailand (if arriving from Thailand)
- Burmese people - Burmese people are new to what's happening to Myanmar - being opened-up to the rest of the world. They remain friendly, helpful and curious. Tourism being new, the culture is not yet corrupted by it.
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
»» next story: 14 Days in Yangon
»» next Chilling Out story:
»» back to Chilling Out
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 1996 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS