Sep 29, 2018
Movie Review: The Divine Order (2017)
(4.5 stars out of 5)
Cast: Marie Leuenberger, Maximilian Simonischek, Rachel Braunschweig
Director: Petra Biondina Volpe (as Petra Volpe)
Writer: Petra Biondina Volpe (as Petra Volpe)
Awards: Lost Weekend Award 2017, San Diego International Film Festival 2017, Swiss Film Prize 2017
Run Time: 1h 36min
Premiere Date: 27 October 2017
Screening Location: Nay Pyi Taw Cinema, Yangon, Myanmar
Event: European Film Festival
The movie is set in 1971 about women's struggle for the right to vote in a canton in Switzerland that's been forgotten by time.
The movie starts with a typical mother and housewife and her uncomplaining role of homemaker and a yes-sir to her husband and father-in-law - the divine law in her part of the world. Her unapproved desire to work, the high-handed treatment of her niece for her promicuity and her unsatisfied sexual needs pushed her to fight for a level playing field for women - and gaining the right to vote is key to catalyze the movement. This movie chronicles the struggles the women had to go through in this male dominated village until the right of suffrage is won.
Nowadays, some women take for granted their right of suffrage (not all of them are voting, right?). This movie brings all the hardship, insecurity, alienation, villification and ridicule into focus on how their right to vote has been won. It's a good movie, a good refresher on things we take for granted and a good lesson that things worth having are worth fighting for.
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
Next stop:: Stumbling Upon the Shwedagon PagodaYANGON
- 14 Days in Yangon Sept 24 - Oct 8, 2018
- Chillin' at The Social House - Kitchen & Tap Oct 4-7, 2018
- Abs-Yoga with BeautyLand Hotel II Staff Oct 3-7, 2018
- CouchSurfing in Yangon Oct 6, 2018
- Vipassana in the Tradition of Sayagi U Ba Khin as Taught by U Ko Lay Oct 6, 2018
- Sunrise Yoga with Jerome at Yangon Yoga House Oct 5, 2018
- Stumbling Upon the Shwedagon Pagoda Oct 2, 2018
- Movie Review: The Divine Order (2017) Sep 29, 2018
- 'Clean Yangon Green Yangon' Street Clean-Up Sep 29, 2018
- Movie Review: A Serious Game (2016) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: Amy (2015) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: In The Fade (2017) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Perfect Strangers (2016) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Little Wing (2016) Sep 26, 2018
- Mundo Lingo Yangon at 50th Street Cafe Sep 25, 2018
- A First Timer in Yangon, Myanmar Sep 24, 2018
Yangon (city), Myanmar
Yangon International Airport
How to Get to Downtown Yangon from the Yangon International Airport (RGN)
- take the shuttle bus from Airport to Downtown Yangon, it costs MMK 500. It passes through the main artery of Yangon.
Yangon Travel Tips
- useful site: Wiki Travel Yangon
USEFUL INFORMATION(as of Jan 2020)
Myanmar FYI / Travel Tips
- accommodation - not all destinations in Myanmar can accommodate foreign travelers. Walk-in hotel guests could be refused. Better make an online booking, or make sure the hotel you wish to stay, at is listed in the online booking sites (Agoda, Booking.com, etc.)
- local time - adjust time 30 mins behind from Thailand (if arriving from Thailand)
- Burmese people - Burmese people are new to what's happening to Myanmar - being opened-up to the rest of the world. They remain friendly, helpful and curious. Tourism being new, the culture is not yet corrupted by it.
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
Sunrise Yoga with Jerome at Yangon Yoga House
»» next story: Stumbling Upon the Shwedagon Pagoda
»» next Movie Review story: Movie Review: First Reformed (2017)
»» back to Movie Review
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | ALL BLOGS