Sep 26, 2018
Movie Review: Amy (2015)
(5 stars out of 5)
Cast: Amy Winehouse, Mitch Winehouse, Mark Ronson
Director: Asif Kapadia
Genre: Documentary, Biography, Music
Run Time: 2h 8min
Premiere Date: 3 July 2015
Country: United Kingdom
Awards: Academy Awards, USA 2016 | BAFTA Awards 2016 | Alliance of Women Film Journalists 2016
Screening Location: Nay Pyi Taw Cinema, Yangon, Myanmar
Event: European Film Festival
The film starts with a young but very promising Amy Winehouse as a very talented and promising jazz singer. It follows her early-year struggles until her meteoric celebrity stardom that was mired with drugs, booze, paparazzi and wrong boyfriend. Her life spiraled out of control until she met a tragic and early death in 2011 from alcohol abuse.
The film was a mosaic of archived amateur footage of the early years (complete with all the shaking of the camera) through the years with all the ingredients that made up her life - her passion for music, alcohol, drugs, unbridled spirit, loves and up to her body being carried out from a body bag. The film was honest if not for anything else. By the end of the film, you know Amy intimately. And you feel her tragic and senseless death.
I like what Tony Bennet said about her. Amy was as genuine as it gets as a jazz singer, at the level of Ella Fitzgerald and Billy Holiday. With Tony Bennet being around the block too long, he has seen it all. And in conclusion, he said if only Amy lived a little more longer, life would have taught her how to deal with it and survive the gauntlet. But just like the fate of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison, it was too much too soon when you are extremely talented and catapulted to fame without the maturity needed to see you through.
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
Next stop:: Movie Review: A Serious Game (2016)YANGON
- 14 Days in Yangon Sept 24 - Oct 8, 2018
- Chillin' at The Social House - Kitchen & Tap Oct 4-7, 2018
- Abs-Yoga with BeautyLand Hotel II Staff Oct 3-7, 2018
- CouchSurfing in Yangon Oct 6, 2018
- Vipassana in the Tradition of Sayagi U Ba Khin as Taught by U Ko Lay Oct 6, 2018
- Sunrise Yoga with Jerome at Yangon Yoga House Oct 5, 2018
- Stumbling Upon the Shwedagon Pagoda Oct 2, 2018
- Movie Review: The Divine Order (2017) Sep 29, 2018
- 'Clean Yangon Green Yangon' Street Clean-Up Sep 29, 2018
- Movie Review: A Serious Game (2016) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: Amy (2015) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: In The Fade (2017) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Perfect Strangers (2016) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Little Wing (2016) Sep 26, 2018
- Mundo Lingo Yangon at 50th Street Cafe Sep 25, 2018
- A First Timer in Yangon, Myanmar Sep 24, 2018
Yangon (city), Myanmar
Yangon International Airport
How to Get to Downtown Yangon from the Yangon International Airport (RGN)
- take the shuttle bus from Airport to Downtown Yangon, it costs MMK 500. It passes through the main artery of Yangon.
Yangon Travel Tips
- useful site: Wiki Travel Yangon
USEFUL INFORMATION(as of Jan 2020)
Myanmar FYI / Travel Tips
- accommodation - not all destinations in Myanmar can accommodate foreign travelers. Walk-in hotel guests could be refused. Better make an online booking, or make sure the hotel you wish to stay, at is listed in the online booking sites (Agoda, Booking.com, etc.)
- local time - adjust time 30 mins behind from Thailand (if arriving from Thailand)
- Burmese people - Burmese people are new to what's happening to Myanmar - being opened-up to the rest of the world. They remain friendly, helpful and curious. Tourism being new, the culture is not yet corrupted by it.
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
»» next Movie Review story: Movie Review: A Serious Game (2016)
»» back to Movie Review
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 1996 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS