Sep 26, 2018
Movie Review: In The Fade (2017)
(5 stars out of 5)
Cast: Diane Kruger, Numan Acar, Denis Moschitto
Director: Fatih Akin
Writer: Fatih Akin (written for screen by), Hark Bohm (author and co-writer)
Genre: Drama, Thriller
Run Time: 1h 46 min
Premiere Date: 27 December 2017
Screening Location: Nay Pyi Taw Cinema, Yangon, Myanmar
Event: European Film Festival
A woman's husband and child were blown-up by neo-Nazis in a racial attack. She goes through a tormenting grief but battles the perpetrators in a court of law where the attackers were wrongfully acquitted. Her next move proves too deadly for everyone.
The story is focused on Katja, the wife and mother. Her shock, grief and anger were all too real - very competent acting by Diane Kruger. You could feel her edge. The movie focus shifted from character portrayal during Katja's grief, anger and efforts to get it together. The next focus on the gripping court scenes where the viewer is left guessing the verdict. When justice in a court of law failed, the focus was on the play-by-play when Katja goes to Greece to exact street justice. The film was intense from start to finish.
The movie gripped me from start to finish. Everyone performed well - Katja, the lawyer friend, and even the defense lawyer. They were all convincing. What got my attention was the human reality of the situation when Katja plants the bomb, waits to detonate and then changes her mind. You almost feel the conflict inside her - the rage, the uncertainty, the human spirit, the hesitation, etc. I thought I've seen the preditable ending. I was wrong. This movie brought elements of feminine ass-kicking in Atomic Blonde, unfathomable grief of Babel and the gripping court scenes of 12 Angry Men. This is one great movie!
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
Next stop:: Movie Review: Amy (2015)YANGON
- 14 Days in Yangon Sept 24 - Oct 8, 2018
- Chillin' at The Social House - Kitchen & Tap Oct 4-7, 2018
- Abs-Yoga with BeautyLand Hotel II Staff Oct 3-7, 2018
- CouchSurfing in Yangon Oct 6, 2018
- Vipassana in the Tradition of Sayagi U Ba Khin as Taught by U Ko Lay Oct 6, 2018
- Sunrise Yoga with Jerome at Yangon Yoga House Oct 5, 2018
- Stumbling Upon the Shwedagon Pagoda Oct 2, 2018
- Movie Review: The Divine Order (2017) Sep 29, 2018
- 'Clean Yangon Green Yangon' Street Clean-Up Sep 29, 2018
- Movie Review: A Serious Game (2016) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: Amy (2015) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: In The Fade (2017) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Perfect Strangers (2016) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Little Wing (2016) Sep 26, 2018
- Mundo Lingo Yangon at 50th Street Cafe Sep 25, 2018
- A First Timer in Yangon, Myanmar Sep 24, 2018
Yangon (city), Myanmar
Yangon International Airport
How to Get to Downtown Yangon from the Yangon International Airport (RGN)
- take the shuttle bus from Airport to Downtown Yangon, it costs MMK 500. It passes through the main artery of Yangon.
Yangon Travel Tips
- useful site: Wiki Travel Yangon
USEFUL INFORMATION(as of Jan 2020)
Myanmar FYI / Travel Tips
- accommodation - not all destinations in Myanmar can accommodate foreign travelers. Walk-in hotel guests could be refused. Better make an online booking, or make sure the hotel you wish to stay, at is listed in the online booking sites (Agoda, Booking.com, etc.)
- local time - adjust time 30 mins behind from Thailand (if arriving from Thailand)
- Burmese people - Burmese people are new to what's happening to Myanmar - being opened-up to the rest of the world. They remain friendly, helpful and curious. Tourism being new, the culture is not yet corrupted by it.
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
»» next Movie Review story: Movie Review: Amy (2015)
»» back to Movie Review
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS