Sep 27, 2018
Movie Review: Perfect Strangers (2016)
(5 stars out of 5)
Cast: Giuseppe Battiston, Anna Foglietta, Marco Giallini
Director: Paolo Genovese
Writer: Filippo Bologna (screenplay), Paolo Costella (screenplay)
Genre: Drama, Comedy
Run Time: 1h 37min
Premiere Date: 11 February 2016
Screening Location: Nay Pyi Taw Cinema, Yangon, Myanmar
Event: European Film Festival
Long-time couple friends meet up for a lunar eclipse dinner then plays a game - they all put their phones on the dinner table and shares to everyone what the incoming message is. The point of the game was that no one was keeping secrets. The ultimate result left them shaken, disturbed and damaged.
With all 7 characters at the dinner table, this could have been a play. The movie started off with everyone cheerful to be meeting everyone for what was to be a lovely dinner among friends. The movie didn't play favorites - all characters were given almost the same attention and time. It was in the clever twists and dialogue that made the movie alive. Affairs were exposed, sexual orientation was outed, sneakly plans were revealed, etc. The movie was funny, moving and heart-warming.
At the very onset, it was a can of worms or a Pandora's Box. The smart phone is a black book that contains many secrets not meant for public consumption, let alone friends whose sensitivities can range from callous to onion-skinned.
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
Next stop:: Movie Review: In The Fade (2017)YANGON
- 14 Days in Yangon Sept 24 - Oct 8, 2018
- Chillin' at The Social House - Kitchen & Tap Oct 4-7, 2018
- Abs-Yoga with BeautyLand Hotel II Staff Oct 3-7, 2018
- CouchSurfing in Yangon Oct 6, 2018
- Vipassana in the Tradition of Sayagi U Ba Khin as Taught by U Ko Lay Oct 6, 2018
- Sunrise Yoga with Jerome at Yangon Yoga House Oct 5, 2018
- Stumbling Upon the Shwedagon Pagoda Oct 2, 2018
- Movie Review: The Divine Order (2017) Sep 29, 2018
- 'Clean Yangon Green Yangon' Street Clean-Up Sep 29, 2018
- Movie Review: A Serious Game (2016) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: Amy (2015) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: In The Fade (2017) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Perfect Strangers (2016) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Little Wing (2016) Sep 26, 2018
- Mundo Lingo Yangon at 50th Street Cafe Sep 25, 2018
- A First Timer in Yangon, Myanmar Sep 24, 2018
Yangon (city), Myanmar
Yangon International Airport
How to Get to Downtown Yangon from the Yangon International Airport (RGN)
- take the shuttle bus from Airport to Downtown Yangon, it costs MMK 500. It passes through the main artery of Yangon.
Yangon Travel Tips
- useful site: Wiki Travel Yangon
USEFUL INFORMATION(as of Jan 2020)
Myanmar FYI / Travel Tips
- accommodation - not all destinations in Myanmar can accommodate foreign travelers. Walk-in hotel guests could be refused. Better make an online booking, or make sure the hotel you wish to stay, at is listed in the online booking sites (Agoda, Booking.com, etc.)
- local time - adjust time 30 mins behind from Thailand (if arriving from Thailand)
- Burmese people - Burmese people are new to what's happening to Myanmar - being opened-up to the rest of the world. They remain friendly, helpful and curious. Tourism being new, the culture is not yet corrupted by it.
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
»» next Movie Review story: Movie Review: In The Fade (2017)
»» back to Movie Review
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | ALL BLOGS