Dec 19, 2012
Breakup Diaries: Chance Encounter in Davao City
Beach Resort Yoga
While at Abreeza, an Ayala Mall in Davao City, I came upon a yoga poster - turns out its a free yoga offering at Davao's beach resort. Curious, I got a name from the front desk...just in case they want to look good on the internet. At some point, I decided not to pursue it...that it was best for me to leave Davao and continue my trip to Mati. That was the end of it for me.
Two days later, I was at Abreeza again for a meeting with the mall's marketing group. Unfortunately, the person I was meeting was unavailable. I defaulted to National Bookstore where I accidentally rubbed elbows with a lady.
Lady and TheLoneRider: (almost in unison) ...sorry!
Upon glancing at her, I immediately noticed she was attractive with a cosmopolitan sophistication - obviously someone who's experienced culture beyond this shore. She picked up a book, "Breakup Diaries", read the back page and puts it back. Curious, I picked up the book after, and remarked to her,
TheLoneRider: I guess you now have my attention. (I was alluding to the book, but deeply, I actually meant her)
Lady: Excuse me?
TheLoneRider: Breakup Diaries...a book for people on the rebound?
Lady: oh...is that right?
TheLoneRider: ha-ha...it's what it says. Are you from here?
Lady: actually from Manila.
TheLoneRider: so am I. What brings you here?
Lady: I work for a resort. My name is ......
TheLoneRider: I'm .... Pleased to meet you. (pause) Wait a minute...why does that ring a bell?
I looked inside my backpack and took out the resort brochure with her hand-written name on it.
TheLoneRider: This is you. I initially planned on meeting you. What are the odds we'd meet here?
Lady: (surprised) Are you serious?
TheLoneRider: I don't believe in coincidences.
Lady: Neither do I.
TheLoneRider: There must be a good reason for this. Would you like to have coffee with me? I'm sure we have much to talk about.
Lady: I'm sorry. I have to attend to something now. Here's my card. Email me.
TheLoneRider: Definitely. I'll see you around.
I actually got excited about all that. I bought the book thinking I'll surprise her with it next time I see her. Later that night, I emailed:
TheLoneRider: ...lovely having that chance encounter with you earlier today. If you don't believe in coincidence like I do, then you're probably as curious as I am why we had to meet. I'm pushing my Mati trip in the hope you'll have time tomorrow to have coffee with me. I'll drop everything for that.
The following day, I got a reply:
Lady: Thanks for your invite, but you must have misunderstood. Sorry but I can't have coffee with you. Thank you!
TheLoneRider: (shocked) Indeed, I must have misunderstood. Apologies and best of the holidays to you.
Honestly, I didn't see that coming. Maybe I got too ahead of myself thinking my benovolent universe laid out something on the table for me. What are the odds I'd have a chance encounter with someone interesting whose handwritten name I had on a piece of paper in my backpack? Like I said, it was too much of a coincidence. When she said she didn't believe in coincidence and gave me her card telling me to email her, I thought I found the rare lady who thinks like me...that I didn't have to explain myself...that she understood the Flow. But it takes 2 to tango. It can't be a Flow if I'm the only one dancing. I guess this chance encounter is one of those rare moments when it's nothing more than pure coincidence.
ps - But what do I do with this book?
Davao City, Philippines
- Bahay ni Tuding - central Poblacion location, wifi, hands-on owner
160 San Pedro Street, 8000 Davao City
0947 361 3544 | 7°03'57.6"N 125°36'28.3"E
- The Pinnacle Hotel and Suites - central location, new management, newly renovated
Sta. Ana Avenue, Davao City 8000, Philippines
(+63) 932-8708621 | 906-3185885 | 7°04'34.2"N 125°36'54.2"E
- The Apo View Hotel - Davao's iconic hotel, old world charm, casino
150 J. Camus Street, Davao City Philippines 8000
+63 (82) 221-6430 to 40 | 7°04'09.2"N 125°36'27.4"E
- North Zen Basic Spaces - great rooms at affordable prices
Sobrecarey St. (corner Lapu-Lapu St.), Davao City, 8000
(082) 295.3997 | 7°04'43.0"N 125°37'04.3"E
- Urban Living Zen Hotel - newly opened - all NEW!
F.s. Dizon Bacaca, 8000 Davao City
(082) 287 3133 | 7°05'28.4"N 125°36'22.3"E
- The Royal Mandaya Hotel - heart of downtown Davao City
J. Palma Gil Street, Davao City, 8000
(+63 82) 225.8888 | 7°04'09.4"N 125°36'36.8"E
- Alu Hotel Davao - central downtown location
M. Roxas Avenue corner Padre Faura Street, Davao
+63 82 227 5232 | 7°04'07.7"N 125°36'51.7"E
- One Oasis Davao - hotel accommodation in a condo unit
Eco-west Drive, Ecoland, Davao City
firstname.lastname@example.org | 0925.500.3211 | 7°02'49.2"N 125°35'19.1"E
- Apollo Van Rental - Davao City tour, Samal Island tour, airport transfer
0925.500.3211 | email@example.com
yoga | health | fitness
- one of the cleanest potable water in the country
- smoking is banned from commercial establishments
- pineapple samurais are endemic here and nowhere else in the country (pineapple vendors who cut-up whole pineapples into chunks with just a few strokes of their carving knives)
- public utility drivers conspicuously display their IDs
- durian Mecca of the Philippines (not to mention Marang, Mangosteen and Sweet Pomelo)
- you want to add some more? please submit on the form below
- the weighing scale of fruit vendors specially the durian push cart vendors are a blatant cheat - showing almost twice the actual weight
- Revisiting Davao Aug 22-Oct 31, 2016
- A Roof Over my Head in Davao Aug 22-Oct 31, 2016
- Davao Yoga Scene Oct 31, 2016
- Pranayama Oct 24, 2016
- Yoga Beyond the Mat Oct 21, 2016
- Grilled Tuna Overload in Davao Oct 13, 2016
- Duterte Mania in Davao Oct 12, 2016
- Sirsasana, Sarvangasana - Yoga Makaranda II Oct 7, 2016
- Tirumalai Krishnamacharya Oct 5, 2016
- Ashtanga Yoga with James Fritz Freire at Holiday Gym and Spa Oct 1, 2016
- There was a Bomb Explosion? Sep 30, 2016
- Jin in Davao Sep 29, 2016
- Scrubs and Hilot at Holiday Gym and Spa Sep 22-29, 2016
- The Fabulous Dabawenyos Aug 22-Sep 26, 2016
- Nirvana Breathing Fitness with Lita C. Quisumbing Sep 21, 2016
- Massage, Sauna and Ear Candling at Holiday Spa and Gym Sep 17-19, 2016
- Downpour in Davao Sep 18, 2016
- Lounge One Yoga Sequence by May Bel Le at North Zen Hotel Sep 16, 2016
- Celebrating Davao's King of Fruits - Durian! Sep 11, 2016
- The Blast that Rocked Davao Sep 2, 2016
- Hatha Flow Yoga with Joanna Lizares Co at Holiday Spa and Gym Aug. 31, 2016
- Conducting a Power Yoga Class at Yoga Davao Aug 29, 2016
- Good Eats with Mel Pangan's Davao Food Tour Aug 26, 2016
- Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) Aug 25, 2016
- A Gifted Dell Laptop from the Usual Suspect Aug. 24, 2016
- The Duterte Phenomenon Oct 21, 2015
- 20 Days in Davao City July 4- 24, 2014
- Goodbye Davao...Again! Sep 28, 2013
- Wine and Cheese at Malagos Farm House Sep 27, 2013
- Custom-made Peanut Butter at Davao City's Bankerohan Market Sep 27, 2013
- Yoga in Davao Sep 26, 2013
- Celebrating 25 Years of Habitat for Humanity Philippines Sep 18, 2013
- Clobbered in a Vicious Karate Match Sep 17, 2013
- Back Into the Black Sep 1, 2013
- No Reply Aug 30, 2013
- Full Body-Cavity Search without the Latex Aug 25, 2013
- Fun Day with Crocodile Sonny and Sports Unlimited Dynamic Duo, Dyan Castillejo and Marc Nelson Aug 15, 2013
- Fun! Fun! at Maxima AquaFun, Samal Island Aug 11, 2013
- Goodbye Davao Jan 22, 2013
- Davao City's Peace and Order Jan 21, 2013
- Holiday Spa Yoga, Davao City Jan 20, 2013
- Free Yoga at People's Park Jan 12, 2013
- Davao City: Family Ties Dec 15-22, 2012
- Breakup Diaries: Chance Encounter in Davao City Dec 19, 2012
- Davao City June 20-23, 2009
- Davao City March 18-20, 2008
- Mount Apo March 15-18, 2008
"Serendipity...." -- Tony Ancheta
(Dec 21, 2012) Hmmm...I dunno, men...from how I'm seeing it, I got 2 strikes and counting :( or perhaps, that I'm getting there. We'll see :)
Greg & Sally Tree Garden Cafe
(Dec 21, 2012) Serendipity.... Looks like you have a bunch of them coming your way lately :)
»» next story: Davao City: Family Ties
»» next Lucid Thought: 2012: A Year in Review
»» back to Lucid Thoughts
»» back to Homepage