Pizza Nites (Canada)
What is Pizza Nite?
How to make pizza dough
Pizza DoughThree ways to bring your pizza dough to Pizza Nite:
- buy uncooked pizza dough from a pizza joint (easy and fun)
- buy a ready-made cooked pizza crust from the grocery (easy but not fun)
- make your own pizza dough from scratch, as follows: (challenging and most fun)
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup warm water (between 85° and 115° F)
- 2 tbsp yeast (I like my dough a little yeasty. You can use less)
- 2 tbsp sugar or honey (I use Muscovado sugar)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Making the sponge/poolish
Mix water, sugar, yeast and 1 cup regular flour in a bowl. Cover until it starts to bubble (first rising, around 45 mins). This can now be used. However, if you want a more flavorful pizza dough, keep this covered in the fridge overnight or a full 24 hours.
Mix the rest of the ingredients (flour, salt and oil) and start kneading (tip: press on with your body weight, not just your arm power). The dough should be soft without being sticky. Too sticky, add flour. Too hard, add water. You're done when the dough bounces back when you poke your finger onto it. Cover until double in size (2nd rising, around 45 mins).
- Scaling and shaping
Punch the dough to take the air out. You can cut it up and use only what you need. You can cut it up into 3 and shape them into balls - one of those balls should be good to make one 13" regular pizza. You can freeze the 2. Flatten one ball into a circular shape. I usually flatten it on the same tray I will bake on so I don't have to make a transfer - I just apply a little oil on the tray before flattening. Using both hands, one on top of the other, press from the center outwards to stretch it in all directions. You can flatten it more by using a rolling pin (or wine bottle). Take a fork and put puncture holes all over the dough to keep it from bubbling up while cooking (which also holds the sauce in place). Wait until double in size (3rd and last rising).
- the dough is now ready for baking
For a more complicated pizza dough but much better, here's a video by Vito Iacopelli
How to make pizza sauce
Pizza SauceTwo ways to bring your pizza sauce to Pizza Nite:
- buy a ready-made pizza sauce from a pizza resto or from the grocery
- make your own pizza sauce from scratch, as follows: (challenging and most fun)
Basic Pizza Sauce
- ripe fresh tomatoes (use just enough for sauce consistency)
- fresh peeled crushed garlic (according to taste)
- bunch of fresh basil (in Thailand, there are 3 types...use the sweet basil with green stem, not purple) or oregano
- 1 small can, tomato paste (great thickener and holds the sauce together)
- teaspoon of sugar (not to sweeten, but to reduce acidity)
- pinch of salt
- fresh ground pepper
- generous amount of olive oil (quarter cup? really, up to you for consistency)
- puree the fresh tomatoes in a blender and strain on a sieve. Keep the liquid and the pulp.
- combine basil leaves, garlic and the tomato liquid in a blender and liquify. Transfer all to a pot and heat up. Remove immediately the moment it boils. Strain the liquid and discard the pulp
- add the liquid, sugar, the tomato pulp, salt, pepper and tomato paste in a blender and puree again
- on slowest blender setting, start pouring small amount of olive oil into the sauce until well blended. Adding oil last prevents the oil from separating
- sauce is ready. Pack in serving size containers and freeze
Oct 3, 2003
Pizza Nite with Angele, Julia, Dos Amigos, Dev, Jordan, Galia, Sarah
Location : Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Burners, OMies and Friends
Whenever I start hurting for the kind of vibe you only get at OM or Burning Man, I go back to my past writings and read up including Reader Comments whose centering goodwill transcends the limits of space and time.
Reading up is good, but there are moments when good old Pizza Nite delivers the vibe like nothing else - afterall, it's a celebration of friendship, pizza and wine.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Jordan Baker (Oct 9, 2003)
... just wanted to say thanks for the pizza nite... its always fun!
Angela (Oct 6, 2003)
Thanks again for the party Friday night. Didn't get around to making my pizza so I just left the ingredients there. Enjoy! Ross found the evening very enjoyable too.
Julia (Oct 6, 2003)
Thanks a million for the wonderful evening!!!!! I had an amazing time!!! Your other friends are great and it was fun to meet them.
Dan (Oct 6, 2003)
Looks like you had a blast. Cheers....
Leave a comment?
Next Pizza Nite:
Night Mountain Biking at the Rouge with Galia Oct 5, 2003
- Jason, Max and Elizabeth Pizza Nite Jul 28, 2022
- Tom, Chunyah and Simona Pizza Nite Jun 23, 2022
- Yoga Class Pizza Nite Jun 15, 2022
- Pizza Nite with Jerry, Paolo and Abby Apr 9, 2022
- Pizza Nite with Aida and Sophie Mar 14, 2022
- Pizza Nite with Kevin, Jamie and Kris Mar 10, 2022
- Pizza Nite with Kris, Simona and Mary Feb 15, 2022
- Pizza Nite with the Chiang Mai Boyz Feb 6, 2022
- Pizza Nite with Simona and Lisa Dec 28, 2021
- Pizza Nite with Simona and Nat Nov 11, 2021
- Pizza Nite with Nut, Monika and Yuki Sep 27, 2021
- Pizza Nite with Nut, Simona and Malee Sep 23, 2021
- Pizza Nite with Jackson, Goi and Paapu Sep 6, 2021
- Pizza Nite with Tom, Chunyah and Goi Aug 20, 2021
- Pizza Nite with Moms and Kids Aug 15, 2021
- Pizza Nite + Slack Line + Hammock Jul 23, 2021
- Pizza Nite with James and Nat Jul 19, 2021
- Pizza Brunch with the Yogis July 1, 2021
- Savouring Villagio Pizza Oct 19, 2017
- Pizza-Making Party in Camotes Islands Mar 25, 2017
- Clam Chowder Pizza from Scratch on a Rice Cooker Feb 15, 2017
- Smoked Salmon-Belly Pizza on BBQ Sauce Dec 8, 2015
- Grilled Pizza on the Weber Grill Jan 31, 2011
- Neva's Pizza Apr 28, 2010
- BMK Apizza opens to the Public July 15, 2005
- Pizza Nite with Friends April 10, 2004
- Pizza Nite with the AIM Crew April 4, 2004
- Pizza Nite January 24, 2004
- Pizza Nite with Colleagues November 21, 2003
- Pizza Nite with Hanka, Galia and Jordan Oct 22, 2003
- Pizza Nite with Angele, Julia, Dos Amigos, Dev, Jordan, Galia, Sarah Oct 3, 2003
- Pizza Nite with Tamara, Dev, Jordan and Sarah Aug 8, 2003
- Pizza Nite with the AIM e-Biz Crew Jan 25, 2003
- Pizza Nite with Julia and Chris Jun 8, 2003
- Pizza Nite with Miss Jen and Carrrie Apr 26, 2003
- Pizza Nite with Jen, Emylee, Fr. Gallagher Jan 25, 2003
- Pizza Parteeee with Angele, Amir and da Dos Amigos Crew Apr 6, 2002
»» back to Food Odyssey
»» back to Peoplescape
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS