Mar 16, 2009
Tinago Falls of Iligan City
Location : Tinago Falls, Iligan City, Philippines
Long Trip for a Waterfall
This is perhaps the longest day trip I ever made for a waterfall. From Camiguin, I took the ferry to the mainland, then bus to Cagayan de Oro, then another bus to Iligan City, then the habal-habal ride to Tinago Falls. I don't know how long it took me, but I was just glad to have made it.
City of Majestic Waterfalls
Yes, this is what they call Iligan City in Lanao del Norte. Iligan boasts of having ¯20 waterfalls including the tallest falls in the country, Maria Christina Falls. The name Iligan is originally a Higaonon word meaning fortress of defense as it protected its inhabitants from frequent raids by pirates and hostile Mindanao tribes.
Tinago is a Pilipino term meaning hidden. Not surprising. It takes about 300 steps down a steep ravine to get to the falls. Argued as more beautiful than the Maria Christina Falls, the water cascades 73 meters into a huge lagoon that goes down 30m deep. Yes, it's deep and cold...and actually scary to swim specially as you get closer to the drop zone where the water starts pounding on the plunge pool (no, I didn't get that close). The falls is surrounded by a stunningly beautiful natural landscape. It's certainly worth a visit if not for that reason alone.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
ps - If you want me to objectively cover the features of your city or municipality or barangay for this website (fiesta, waterfall, mountain trail, lake, river, cave, food, islands, beach, etc.), email me.
Leave a comment?
(Aug 14, 2009) i saw your pictures of tinago falls. so beautiful! which island is it on?
(Jul 31, 2009) kauna-unahang falls na nakita ko....the best talaga to! may mini zoo pa ba sa taas?
(Jul 30, 2009) Very, very pretty. I want to go here and swim in the lagoon :)
Waterfalls / Spring Blogs
- Lagaan Falls Mar 9, 2023
- Tibhong Spring Water Source Mar 8, 2023
- Bolo-Bolo Natural Spring Mar 2, 2023
- Camagung-Ong Natural Spring Feb 28, 2023
- Locong Falls Feb 9, 2023
- In Search of Tubod Cold Spring Jan 27, 2023
- Capilay Spring Jan 17, 2023
- Freediving Canawa Cold Spring of Candijay, Bohol June 30, 2017
- Splashing at Can-umantad Falls, Candijay, Bohol June 30, 2017
- Bathing with the Carabaos at Hagnaon Spring, Camotes Islands Feb 28, 2017
- Taking a Dip at Capasanan Spring, Camotes Islands Feb 28, 2017
- Exploring Tudela and Busay Falls, Camotes Islands Feb 21, 2017
- In Search of Guiwanon Cold Spring Jan 12, 2017
- Hurom-Hurom Cold Springs Immersion Dec 11, 2016
- Dipping at Bungan-Bungan Spring in Libertad Dec 9, 2016
- Exploring Malumpati Spring of Pandan Dec 4-6, 2016
- Visiting Igpasungaw Waterfalls Dec 3-4, 2016
- Exploring Bugtong Bato Waterfalls, Tibiao Nov 24, 2016
- Splashing at Magkawas Falls in Lanuza, Surigao del Sur May 16, 2013
- Visiting Lubcon Falls, Surigao del Sur May 13, 2013
- Visiting Maria Cristina Falls, Iligan Apr 24, 2013
- Exploring Santander, Samboan and Badian, Cebu (Aguinid Falls and Kawasan Falls) Oct 30-31, 2011
- Pulangbato Falls and Hot Spring Jul 16, 2011
- Splashing in Pulangbato Falls with Cuernos de Negros Jun 5, 2011
- Hike to the Japanese Shrine and Casaroro Falls Apr 25, 2010
- Island Tour of Siquijor Apr 22, 2010
- Tinago Falls of Iligan City Mar 16, 2009
- Camiguin (Katibawasan Waterfalls) Mar 9 - 14, 2009
- Hike to Bomod-ok Falls November 3, 2006
More on Iligan City:
Waterfalls of Iligan
Not all of Iligan's waterfalls are accessible to the public. Some are ancestral domains and outsiders are not welcome. Some are located into the interior of the forest where you risk pythons and brushy trails along the way. The 2 most popular are linked below.
- Maria Christina Falls - the country's tallest waterfall
- Mimbalot Falls
- Limunsudan Falls - at 870 feet, it's the country's 2nd highest waterfall
- Dodiongan Falls
- Tinagao Falls - the most beautiful I have seen so far in the Philippines
- Hindang Falls
- Kalubihon Falls
- Langilanon Falls
- Dalipuga Falls
Iligan City Map
Iligan >> Lazi, Siquijor by bus
Iligan >> CDO >> Davao City by bus
»» next story: Red Pill Moment
»» next traveling story: Cagsawa Ruins of Daraga
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS