Date > 2017 > Oct
Activity > Mountain Biking
Oct 14, 2017
Leisurely Ride to Loktob Spring
Location : Loktob Spring, Loboc (municipality), Bohol (province), Philippines
Mountain Bike Guide: Jeffrey Huerte
For a change, my mtb tour guide Jeffrey, decided to do a more leisurely exploration of other Loboc essentials - no brutal climbs like Virgen de Guadalupe or fast downhills like Busay Falls. Instead, we opted for a leisurely exploration of other Loboc essentials - Loktob Spring, Eco-Tourism Adventure Park and the landslide caused by the earthquake of 2013
Loktob Spring is practically along the Loboc River. The developers contained it within a stone pool which opens up to join Loboc River. We didn't have enough time to soak ourselves. But for now, it was good to see the place and put it on my map. Next time I visit, I'll bring my Speedo!
Eco-Tourism Adventure Park
Further up the road towards Bilar is another ambitious undertaking of Loboc - Eco-Tourism Adventure Park. The bike ride was along the main highway on curving graded pavement. One section had a hairpin turn - good on the downhill with full banking. The adventure park is perched on a cliff side where you get a panoramic view of the river and the mountainscape across. This is also where you zipline across the river and back by cable car. If not for anything else, stopping by for a coldie while appreciating the scenery makes the visit all worth it.
Jeffrey then took me to the interior where we left our bikes to trek the mountain on foot. We were in search of the trail leading to the landslide. In the 2013 earthquake, half of a mountain collapsed leaving the other half with a vertical cliff. We were to stand on the precipe of that cliff. Unfortunately, after doing some climbing, the trail vanished. Either the trail was eaten up by the forest or we simply took the wrong trail. Another time perhaps.
Loboc is small enough to see everything on a bike - but it requires some fitness. The more I stay here, the more I experience its layered dimension - like peeling layers off an onion. Some you can do on your own, some require a guide. By staying longer, I am privileged to experience parts of Loboc the passing traveler never get to experience. And there's so much more! Everyday brings new promise of a new discovery.
Thank you Jeffrey for unravelling Loboc's hidden beauty.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
Next Mountain Biking story:
Loboc Google Map
Loboc, Bohol, Philippines
- Cruz Daku - 80-foot white cross erected in 1986 on top of Loboc's highest mountain
- Virgen de Guadalupe - giant statue of the Black Madonna perched on a Loboc summit
- River Cruise - river cruise on a floating restaurant serving lunch with cultural presentation
- Busay Falls - accessible only through the river cruise
- Loktob Spring - cold water spring, free admission, huts for rent
- Zipline and Cable Car Ride - at the Eco-Tourism Adventure Park
- Fox & The Firefly Cottages - SUP paddle boarding, luxury riverside native cottages, mountain bike tours, SUP yoga
Brgy. Valladolid, Loboc, Bohol
- Villagio's Pizza - wood burning oven, hand-tossed pizza
Loboc Town Plaza, Loboc, Bohol
Bohol Travel Info/Tips
Bohol FYI / Tips
- the tourist area where most of the hotels, restaurants, ticket offices, tour operators are, is located within the Alona Beach area
- the tourist attractions in Bohol are far apart and spread-out. It would be difficult to visit them all using public mass transit. Better hire a van (P3500/day) if in a big group, or rent a motorcycle (P400/day + gas)
- Bohol relies on its tourism for revenue. As expected, everything they can capitalize on from tourism is extensively used and developed
Tagbilaran Port to PanglaoYou can charter any tricycle from the port all the way to Panglao (~P300), but if you want to do it on the cheap,
- don't take the tricycles lined-up inside the port. Walk past the port gate and immediately outside, you'll see many tricycles. Take one to the bus terminal in Dao (~P15)
- in Dao, take the jeep that plies the Panglao route (~P20)
Tagbilaran (Bohol) to Cebu City by boat** schedules and rates keep changing, call for latest schedule
- Weesam Express - departs 6:15 AM, 11:30 AM, 4:00 PM
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - departs 6-7:05-8:20-9:20-11:40AM, 1-2-3:30-4:20-5:30-6:30PM, 2 hours, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63(32)255 7560 / +63 (32) 255 0115 / 0917 638 0000
- SuperCat (2GO) - departs 5:50-11AM, 3:45-5:25-8:15PM, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
+63 32 233 7000
Things to do, Places to go in Bohol
- Chocolate Hills - this is a clustering of more than 1200 hills within a 50km2 area. They range in height from 30-50 meters. What's unusual is their near-perfect conical shape resembling an individual chocolate chip. No one knows how they were formed. Entrance is P50/pax.
- Tarsier Conservation Area - located Upper Bonbon, Loboc. The tarsiers are no longer being played at by tourists as circus props, but instead, visitors now view them in cordoned-off areas in their natural 6ha habitat. As they are territorial and nocturnal, they are predictable on where they can be viewed. P50/pax.
- Alona Beach (Panglao) - Alona Beach is the tourist hub of Bohol. It has 1.5 kms of white sand beach lined-up by bars, hotels and restos. Alona is also the jump-off point for Balicasag Island, a world class dive destination.
- Danao Adventure Park - located in Barangay Magtangtang, 72 kms (2 hours ride) from Tagbilaran. Adventure activities include river trekking, tyrolean traverse, rappelling, bouldering, rock climbing and ziplining.
»» next Mountain Biking story:
Back Road Ride to Loay
»» back to Mountain Biking
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS