Feb 9, 2018
20-Minute Rope Skipping w/ Pranayama and Meditation
Duration: 60 minutes
Location: Lyn's Backpackers Inn, Loboc (municipality), Bohol (province), Philippines
Here's a joiner workout program in real time to get into a 20-min rope skipping routine with interval warm-up, pranayama and meditation!
Rope skipping is one of the best cardio workout on the planet! It gives you stamina, strengthens the heart, improves hand-feet coordination, gives a feeling of lightness and sheds fat like crazy.
I Warm Up Stretches
Make sure you warm-up first. A proper warm-up determines if you'll have a good workout. Do a head to foot stretching - neck tilt, forward bends, side bends, back bends, twists, quad stretch, knee rolls, etc.
II Intense Interval Warm-up, 1 Round only
This is a complete cardio workout by Chris Heria designed to be done for 5 rounds. I do only 1 round as a warm-up for rope skipping. Trust me, having this as a 2nd warm-up greatly enhances the quality of the workout.
III Rope Skipping
Best to use a playlist of bouncy dance tunes. I use songs from the 80s. When you get into the groove, you're not rope skipping anymore - you're just lost in the dance! Don't make high jumps - just hover above the rope and make the process smooth and zero-impact.
Why 20 minutes? I was told once by an athlete that to get the most heart benefit from a cardio workout, the heart rate has to be sustained at the aerobic threshold for a minimum of 20 minutes. That sort of stuck in my head and started aiming for 20 minutes.
But to those who are just getting started, 20 minutes will be too much. As my friend Jim pointed out, a build-up sequence would be more encouraging. I would suggest an initial 2-minute rope skipping followed by 1 minute rest - that's 1 round. See how many rounds you can do in 20 minutes. When you build-up stamina, try a 3-minute rope skipping/1 min rest round. Build it up...to 4-minute skip/1 min rest...until you reach 20-minutes non-stop skipping.
Pranayama is the yogic breath exercise. This is where you get the edge - because no one does this. Pranayama makes you strong and resilient.
This is the perfect finish to any workout. This is not just in the realm of yoga but a stand-alone discipline in itself. Meditation de-clutters the mind and presents reality as it is...not how it was manipulated to be.
This exercise routine is complete...more than complete! With a 2-stage warm-up and post-rope pranayama and meditation, you went beyond physical workout. You worked-out your body, mind, spirit and come away with stillness of the mind plus overall well-being.
(Feb 13, 2018) Very very very nice. Few people though, including me, can manage 20 minutes basically full on. Not wanting people to get discouraged suggest start with just two minute and build endurance with two additional minutes. i guess alot of folks will be happy to reach 6 or 8 minutes. But you ? Inspiration Brother.
(Feb 13, 2018) Great point, Jim. I have made the addition in the story. And thank you for the kind and encouraging words.
Next stop: Cliff Dive at Molave Cove
Loboc, Bohol, Philippines
Bohol FYI / Tips
- the tourist area where most of the hotels, restaurants, ticket offices, tour operators are, is located within the Alona Beach area
- the tourist attractions in Bohol are far apart and spread-out. It would be difficult to visit them all using public mass transit. Better hire a van (P3500/day) if in a big group, or rent a motorcycle (P400/day + gas)
- Bohol relies on its tourism for revenue. As expected, everything they can capitalize on from tourism is extensively used and developed
Tagbilaran Port to PanglaoYou can charter any tricycle from the port all the way to Panglao (~P300), but if you want to do it on the cheap,
- don't take the tricycles lined-up inside the port. Walk past the port gate and immediately outside, you'll see many tricycles. Take one to the bus terminal in Dao (~P15)
- in Dao, take the jeep that plies the Panglao route (~P20)
Tagbilaran (Bohol) to Cebu City by boat** schedules and rates keep changing, call for latest schedule
- Weesam Express - departs 6:15 AM, 11:30 AM, 4:00 PM
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - departs 6-7:05-8:20-9:20-11:40AM, 1-2-3:30-4:20-5:30-6:30PM, 2 hours, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63(32)255 7560 / +63 (32) 255 0115 / 0917 638 0000
- SuperCat (2GO) - departs 5:50-11AM, 3:45-5:25-8:15PM, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
+63 32 233 7000
Things to do, Places to go in Bohol
- Chocolate Hills - this is a clustering of more than 1200 hills within a 50km2 area. They range in height from 30-50 meters. What's unusual is their near-perfect conical shape resembling an individual chocolate chip. No one knows how they were formed. Entrance is P50/pax.
- Tarsier Conservation Area - located Upper Bonbon, Loboc. The tarsiers are no longer being played at by tourists as circus props, but instead, visitors now view them in cordoned-off areas in their natural 6ha habitat. As they are territorial and nocturnal, they are predictable on where they can be viewed. P50/pax.
- Alona Beach (Panglao) - Alona Beach is the tourist hub of Bohol. It has 1.5 kms of white sand beach lined-up by bars, hotels and restos. Alona is also the jump-off point for Balicasag Island, a world class dive destination.
- Danao Adventure Park - located in Barangay Magtangtang, 72 kms (2 hours ride) from Tagbilaran. Adventure activities include river trekking, tyrolean traverse, rappelling, bouldering, rock climbing and ziplining.
- Exploring Combento Cave Pool June 29, 2017
- Visiting Cabagnow Cave Pool of Anda Jun 28, 2017
- Exploring Anda, Bohol June 25-30, 2017
- Roadtrip from Candijay to Ubay July 1, 2017
- Firefly Tour in Candijay, Bohol June 30, 2017
- Freediving Canawa Cold Spring of Candijay, Bohol June 30, 2017
- Splashing at Can-umantad Falls, Candijay, Bohol June 30, 2017
- Exploring Carlos P. Garcia (CPG) Island by Bike Dec 1, 2017
- Cycling to the Tarsiers of Corella Oct 26, 2017
- Cliff Dive at Molave Cove Feb 11, 2018
- Freediving at Molave Point, Dauis Nov 6, 2017
- The Return to Hinagdanan Cave Nov 5, 2017
- Exploring Hinagdanan Cave Oct 24, 2017
- The Ride to Morning Hill Oct 22, 2017
- The Ride to the Old Spanish Tower Oct 21, 2017
- 24+ Days at Lyn's Backpackers Inn Jan 23 - Feb 16, 2018
- All Day Fun with the Loboc Crew Feb 11, 2018
- 20-Minute Rope Skipping w/ Pranayama and Meditation Feb 9, 2018
- Calisthenics with Jeffrey Feb 7, 2018
- Abs-Core Workout with Jeffrey Feb 5, 2018
- High Intensity Cardio Workout Feb 2, 2018
- Ride to the Landslide with Jeffrey Jan 31, 2018
- Farm Tour with Mr. Raymond Cal Jan 29, 2018
- Cacao Drum Roasting Jan 27, 2018
- Making Sikwate: from cacao fruit to a hot dark chocolate drink Jan 25, 2018
- 5 Weeks at the Fox and Firefly Cottages Dec 13, 2017 - Jan 23, 2018
- In-House Yoga Teacher at the Fox and Firefly Cottages Jan 22, 2018
- Mountain Bike Rides from Tagbilaran to Loboc Jan 18, 2018
- Firefly Tour on a Stand-Up Paddle (SUP) Dec 19, 2017
- Playing Mountain Bike Tour Optimizer Dec 18, 2017
- Back to Loboc Dec 13, 2017
- 37 Days in Loboc - Thank You and Goodbye Oct 8-Nov 14, 2017
- Exploring Busay Falls, Loktob Spring and Jimili-an Spring...on Foot Nov 11, 2017
- Stand-Up Paddle Yoga with Joan Christine Nov 3, 2017
- Loboc River Cruise on a Stand-Up Paddle Oct 29, 2017
- Exploring Guimba and Sog-ong Caves of Loboc Oct 22, 2017
- Ziplining and Cable Car Ride at Eco-Tourism Adventure Park Oct 22, 2017
- Savouring Villagio Pizza Oct 19, 2017
- Wet and Wild Bonbon-Alegria Downhill Ride Oct 18, 2017
- River Cruise on Loboc River Oct 17, 2017
- Back Road Ride from Loboc to Loay Oct 17, 2017
- Leisurely Ride to Loktob Spring Oct 14, 2017
- Sweet Ride to Busay Falls Oct 13, 2017
- Bike Climb to the Virgen de Guadalupe Oct 12, 2017
- The Ride to Cruz Daku (Big Cross) Oct 11, 2017
- Exploring Loboc, Bohol Oct 8, 2017
- Coastal Cleanup with Plastic Free Bohol Sept 16, 2017
- Exploring Panglao June 12-18, 2017
- Yoga with Ging and Rai at Oasis Resort June 18, 2017
- Freediving with Ben Meerhaeghe at SeaQuest Dive Center June 16, 2017
- Scuba Diving Balicasag Island with SeaQuest Dive Center June 15, 2017
- Bohol Revisited June 12, 2017
- Exploring Bohol Nov 28-30, 2015
- Visiting Bayongan Lake Nov 22, 2017
- Killer MTB Ride from Sevilla Oct 30, 2017
- Solo Ride to the Sikatuna Tree Park Nov 2, 2017
- 30 days in Tagbilaran, Thank You! Oct 8, 2017
- Breakfast Talk with Tagbilaran's Finest Oct 8, 2017
- Exploring the Cafe Scene of Tagbilaran Oct 7, 2017
- Yoga for 60+ Students at the University of Bohol Oct 4, 2017
- Chocolate Overload at Dalareich Chocolate House October 2, 2017
- Talk on Philosophy and Spirituality to 12-Graders at the University of Bohol Sep 27, 2017
- Celebrating the International Day of Peace Sep 23, 2017
- Judging a Student Debate at the University of Bohol Sept 15, 2017
- Fitness Workout with Chie at Bohol Tropics Resort Sept 13, 2017
- Modified Ashtanga Primary Series by Jing Yoga, Tagbilaran Sept 12, 2017
- Tagbilaran Revisited Sep 7-12, 2017
- Hello Tagbilaran! June 19-25, 2017
- Goodbye and Thank You, Ubay Nov 14-Dec 13, 2017
- Visiting the Ubay Stock Farm Dec 8, 2017
- Exploring Cambugsay Healing Hills with Lars Jensen Nov 22, 2017
- Visiting Ubay Green Park Nov 18, 2017
- The Ride to Sinandigan Boardwalk and the Yamashita Treasure Hunt Nov 18, 2017
- Ubay in a Nutshell Nov 17, 2017
- In Search of the Next Destination Nov 14, 2017
- 2 Days in Ubay July 1-3, 2017
Carlos P. Garcia Island
»» next story: Cliff Dive at Molave Cove
»» back to Fitness
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | ALL BLOGS