Oct 8, 2017
Exploring Loboc, Bohol
Location: Loboc (municipality), Bohol (province), Philippines
I left my main pack and mountain bike in Tagbilaran to scout where else I can move to. I ended up somehow in Loboc. It could have been any other place in Bohol - Pilar? Carmen? Bilar? But yes, Loboc. I walked along the Loboc River hoping I could find some kind of web deal for lodging with some resorts lined-up on the river bank. It didn't happen.
Lyn's Backpacker Inn
At the town center, I came across an inn owner who accepted my measly budget for a month's stay - after a lot of haggling. The owner was an amiable man who was easy to talk to. The overall energy was light. I had a small nipa house by the rice field with wifi access on the main house. Loboc it is for me - another mini-life in the making for the next 30 days.
First Full Day
After staying overnight, I took the early jeep for Tagbilaran to get my pack & bike. Luckily, a jeep was able to top-load my bike back to Loboc. First, I had to get my bearings. I biked around town looking for carinderias, water suppliers, tailoring repair shops, wifi outlets, etc. Three kilos of laundry for P130???? I miss Tagbilaran's P25/kilo deal. I discovered a pizza joint with a wood-burning oven. A little pricey but at least there's a good pizza house in town. Otherwise, things seemed bleak - there was no cafe, no shopping center, no movie house, no sikwate drink and even tuba is hard to come by. On a bike, I covered the town in less than an hour. Not really a big place. I kept thinking, "What do I do here for the next 30 days?"
It will be a challenge to stay a full 30 days in Loboc. But there must be something in store for me here - otherwise, why did I end up here? I just need to trust the process. I could be productive here on the web - I can go deep into cutting-edge web design with the latest trends. I could use my shire as a base to explore day trips into the nearby towns. I could also go back into outdoor adventure - caves, waterfalls, island touring, etc. Just thoughts randomly passing by. Loboc...30 days...hmmm. I'm still in disbelief but remain open to all possibilities.
Reader Comments:Jeffrey Huerte
(Oct 12, 2017) Bukas sir, we can go to Luktob Spring
(Oct 12, 2017) Git, I have been outta touch! We must catch up! Why did u leave the other place?
(Oct 12, 2017) I try to live a mini-life in a new place, 30 days at a time :)
(Oct 12, 2017) Wow such freedom
(Oct 12, 2017) Loboc, Bohol is amazing place. The cold spring called Loktub is refreshing. Lunch at the floating barge with locals serenading in the background is lovely.
(Oct 11, 2017) ...will try both. Thanks for the tip, Angel
(Oct 12, 2017) is this where you're staying?
(Oct 11, 2017) for the next 30 days :)
(Oct 12, 2017) How much per month bro?
(Oct 13, 2017) he-he, can't tell you the discount I got...they might bring it back to normal rates :)
Next stop: Cruz Daku (Big Cross)
Loboc, Bohol, Philippines
Bohol FYI / Tips
- the tourist area where most of the hotels, restaurants, ticket offices, tour operators are, is located within the Alona Beach area
- the tourist attractions in Bohol are far apart and spread-out. It would be difficult to visit them all using public mass transit. Better hire a van (P3500/day) if in a big group, or rent a motorcycle (P400/day + gas)
- Bohol relies on its tourism for revenue. As expected, everything they can capitalize on from tourism is extensively used and developed
Tagbilaran Port to PanglaoYou can charter any tricycle from the port all the way to Panglao (~P300), but if you want to do it on the cheap,
- don't take the tricycles lined-up inside the port. Walk past the port gate and immediately outside, you'll see many tricycles. Take one to the bus terminal in Dao (~P15)
- in Dao, take the jeep that plies the Panglao route (~P20)
Tagbilaran (Bohol) to Cebu City by boat** schedules and rates keep changing, call for latest schedule
- Weesam Express - departs 6:15 AM, 11:30 AM, 4:00 PM
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - departs 6-7:05-8:20-9:20-11:40AM, 1-2-3:30-4:20-5:30-6:30PM, 2 hours, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63(32)255 7560 / +63 (32) 255 0115 / 0917 638 0000
- SuperCat (2GO) - departs 5:50-11AM, 3:45-5:25-8:15PM, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
+63 32 233 7000
Things to do, Places to go in Bohol
- Chocolate Hills - this is a clustering of more than 1200 hills within a 50km2 area. They range in height from 30-50 meters. What's unusual is their near-perfect conical shape resembling an individual chocolate chip. No one knows how they were formed. Entrance is P50/pax.
- Tarsier Conservation Area - located Upper Bonbon, Loboc. The tarsiers are no longer being played at by tourists as circus props, but instead, visitors now view them in cordoned-off areas in their natural 6ha habitat. As they are territorial and nocturnal, they are predictable on where they can be viewed. P50/pax.
- Alona Beach (Panglao) - Alona Beach is the tourist hub of Bohol. It has 1.5 kms of white sand beach lined-up by bars, hotels and restos. Alona is also the jump-off point for Balicasag Island, a world class dive destination.
- Danao Adventure Park - located in Barangay Magtangtang, 72 kms (2 hours ride) from Tagbilaran. Adventure activities include river trekking, tyrolean traverse, rappelling, bouldering, rock climbing and ziplining.
Carlos P. Garcia Island
»» next story: The Ride to Cruz Daku (Big Cross)
»» next Traveling story: River Cruise on Loboc River
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | ALL BLOGS