Oct 11, 2017
The Ride to Cruz Daku (Big Cross)
Location: Cruz Daku, Loboc (municipality), Bohol (province), Philippines
Loboc-Sikatuna-Loboc with Juan
I'd been commuting on a bike, but no hard riding...until Loboc. My landlord, Juan, is a biker but a little out of shape. With the presence of a riding buddy (me!), he finds new vigor to be back on the saddle. On my first day, we did a 24km gentle ride from Loboc-Sikatuna-Loboc. Nice to do a long ride again.
The following day, Juan invited me to ride the summit for the cross looming over Loboc - Cruz Daku! Cruz Daku is a giant 80-foot white cross erected in 1986 on top of Loboc's highest mountain. It hovers above Loboc along the horizon with an imposing presence. During Lent, devotees flock in numbers for their annual pilgrimage.
From the town base, the mostly-paved trail goes 3 kms on a steep climb - it was brutal. At the outset, the road just went north with very little reprieve. It took us 75 minutes until we got to the top with a few dismounts. There were a few sections of dirt trail but the tail-end leading to the peak was pure dirt riding. Parts of the road were mossy and slippery. The dirt road was gravely with very little traction. It felt exhilarating to be on top in full view of the water and the town of Loboc. Loboc River appeared like a huge serpent snaking its way through the forest.
It was hammer-time on the way down along curving roads along a hilly slope. Highlight were some switchbacks where you don't see what's up ahead and you're banking on the turn at speed hoping there's no one on the other side counterflowing. Some dirt section had loose stones and rocks on rutted water ways which made for technical riding. It was all good by the time we reached town.
After the ride, Juan talked about a few more trails known only by the locals - waterfalls, the Virgin of Guadalupe, single tracks, river bank trails, etc. Already, another ride has been scheduled the following day. Hmmm...I'm beginning to see why I ended up in Loboc.
Reader Comments:Aileen Te
(Oct 13, 2017) kamusta ang ride? we walked going there
(Oct 13, 2017) it was a brutal climb but sweet downhill :)
(Oct 13, 2017) Try trekking from Cruz Dako to Morning Hills. I haven't done that but must be interesting.
(Oct 13, 2017) Morning Hills? I'll look it up :) Thanks Kins
Next stop: Virgen de Guadalupe of Loboc
Loboc, Bohol, Philippines
Bohol FYI / Tips
- the tourist area where most of the hotels, restaurants, ticket offices, tour operators are, is located within the Alona Beach area
- the tourist attractions in Bohol are far apart and spread-out. It would be difficult to visit them all using public mass transit. Better hire a van (P3500/day) if in a big group, or rent a motorcycle (P400/day + gas)
- Bohol relies on its tourism for revenue. As expected, everything they can capitalize on from tourism is extensively used and developed
Tagbilaran Port to PanglaoYou can charter any tricycle from the port all the way to Panglao (~P300), but if you want to do it on the cheap,
- don't take the tricycles lined-up inside the port. Walk past the port gate and immediately outside, you'll see many tricycles. Take one to the bus terminal in Dao (~P15)
- in Dao, take the jeep that plies the Panglao route (~P20)
Tagbilaran (Bohol) to Cebu City by boat** schedules and rates keep changing, call for latest schedule
- Weesam Express - departs 6:15 AM, 11:30 AM, 4:00 PM
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - departs 6-7:05-8:20-9:20-11:40AM, 1-2-3:30-4:20-5:30-6:30PM, 2 hours, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63(32)255 7560 / +63 (32) 255 0115 / 0917 638 0000
- SuperCat (2GO) - departs 5:50-11AM, 3:45-5:25-8:15PM, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
+63 32 233 7000
Things to do, Places to go in Bohol
- Chocolate Hills - this is a clustering of more than 1200 hills within a 50km2 area. They range in height from 30-50 meters. What's unusual is their near-perfect conical shape resembling an individual chocolate chip. No one knows how they were formed. Entrance is P50/pax.
- Tarsier Conservation Area - located Upper Bonbon, Loboc. The tarsiers are no longer being played at by tourists as circus props, but instead, visitors now view them in cordoned-off areas in their natural 6ha habitat. As they are territorial and nocturnal, they are predictable on where they can be viewed. P50/pax.
- Alona Beach (Panglao) - Alona Beach is the tourist hub of Bohol. It has 1.5 kms of white sand beach lined-up by bars, hotels and restos. Alona is also the jump-off point for Balicasag Island, a world class dive destination.
- Danao Adventure Park - located in Barangay Magtangtang, 72 kms (2 hours ride) from Tagbilaran. Adventure activities include river trekking, tyrolean traverse, rappelling, bouldering, rock climbing and ziplining.
- Exploring Combento Cave Pool June 29, 2017
- Visiting Cabagnow Cave Pool of Anda Jun 28, 2017
- Exploring Anda, Bohol June 25-30, 2017
- Roadtrip from Candijay to Ubay July 1, 2017
- Firefly Tour in Candijay, Bohol June 30, 2017
- Freediving Canawa Cold Spring of Candijay, Bohol June 30, 2017
- Splashing at Can-umantad Falls, Candijay, Bohol June 30, 2017
- Savouring Villagio Pizza Oct 19, 2017
- Wet and Wild Bonbon-Alegria Downhill Ride Oct 18, 2017
- River Cruise on Loboc River Oct 17, 2017
- Back Road Ride to Loay Oct 17, 2017
- Leisurely Ride to Loktob Spring Oct 14, 2017
- Sweet Ride to Busay Falls Oct 13, 2017
- Bike Climb to the Virgen de Guadalupe Oct 12, 2017
- The Ride to Cruz Daku (Big Cross) Oct 11, 2017
- Exploring Loboc, Bohol Oct 8, 2017
- Coastal Cleanup with Plastic Free Bohol Sept 16, 2017
- Exploring Panglao June 12-18, 2017
- Yoga with Ging and Rai at Oasis Resort June 18, 2017
- Freediving with Ben Meerhaeghe at SeaQuest Dive Center June 16, 2017
- Scuba Diving Balicasag Island with SeaQuest Dive Center June 15, 2017
- Bohol Revisited June 12, 2017
- Exploring Bohol Nov 28-30, 2015
- 30 days in Tagbilaran, Thank You! Oct 8, 2017
- Breakfast Talk with Tagbilaran's Finest Oct 8, 2017
- Exploring the Cafe Scene of Tagbilaran Oct 7, 2017
- Yoga for 60+ Students at the University of Bohol Oct 4, 2017
- Chocolate Overload at Dalareich Chocolate House October 2, 2017
- Talk on Philosophy and Spirituality to 12-Graders at the University of Bohol Sep 27, 2017
- Celebrating the International Day of Peace Sep 23, 2017
- Judging a Student Debate at the University of Bohol Sept 15, 2017
- Fitness Workout with Chie at Bohol Tropics Resort Sept 13, 2017
- Modified Ashtanga Primary Series by Jing Yoga, Tagbilaran Sept 12, 2017
- Tagbilaran Revisited Sep 7-12, 2017
- Hello Tagbilaran! June 19-25, 2017
- 2 Days in Ubay July 1-3, 2017
»» next Mountain Biking story: Bike Climb to the Virgen de Guadalupe
»» back to Mountain Biking
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | ALL BLOGS