Oct 29, 2017
Loboc River Cruise on a Stand-Up Paddle
Tour Provider: SUP Tours Philippines
Tour: Half-Day SUP Tour to Busay Falls and back
Inclusion: SUP, guide, drink
Location: SUP Tours Philippines, Loboc (municipality), Bohol (province), Philippines
SUP Tours Philippines
Along Loboc River about a kilometer from the town proper is SUP Tours Philippines within the Fox & The Firefly Cottages, owned and managed by a lovely and dynamic couple - Frederic, an SUP dude and Joan, a yogini. It's an idyllic and manicured garden setting with huts made from local materials for that native touch. Craftmanship is at the luxury standard. They also offer yoga classes and mountain bike tours.
Gerry, our guide is a certified SUP instructor who gave us a few pointers on how to manage the board - from customizing paddle length, paddle handling, mounting and stroking. It was enough to give us a sense of bearing on what to do. We were all new to the sport. Initially, standing on an oversized surfboard with a paddle in hand felt tentative given the balancing act, the river current and the actual paddling. But after getting the hang of it, it got more fun as confidence increased. The learning curve wasn't steep.
We had a leisurely pace against the mild current as we passed by the forested banks of the river. The water was calm despite a higher level due to the recent rains. We made a brief stop at Loktob Spring where I took a refreshing dip. We had the river all to ourselves - the floating restaurant hasn't started its service yet. Before we knew it, we were already in Busay Falls - there was no way to go further. The current was already strong. Above us was the zipline and cable car connecting the 2 hills together. We chilled out for a bit. I played around, doing turns and paddling hard. It was a lot of fun against the strong current!
At the downstream end where the water was calmer, I tried a few yoga asanas. It was a mind game - fail and you fall on the river and be swept by the current.
On the way back, we had to deal with the passing floating restaurants. We had to pull over to the side to let it pass. Its wake wasn't as destabilizing as I thought. It was interesting to see the curious tourists on board snapping pictures of us (feeling like we were the tourist attraction!) as we waved back to them.
Floating with the Current
The rest of the way back was a free ride with the current. I could just be lying down on the SUP and I'd still get back to the resort. A fresh coconut was served upon arrival. The other guests had lunch before their afernoon paddling in the other direction. I headed back on my bike feeling stoked at this new adventure.
Aside from our guide, we were all five - two Brits, an American and a Filipina frisbee player, Claudine. It was uncanny that Claudine is the niece of UP Mountaineers, Choi Aquino - the one who helped me and my UPM 2005 batch during our application period. Claudine, like her uncle (who was also a team member of the Pinoy Everest team) is keen on sports and the outdoors. We covered a bit of ground in our passing talk. I hope our paths cross again.
I've done SUP Yoga before at Plantation Bay in Cebu and a bit of beach SUP in Mati, but this is the first time I've done it on a river covering some distance against the current. The longer I stayed on the board, the more fun it got. Gerry's initial orientaion helped a lot - otherwise it could have been a frustrating experience. It's not a hard thing to do even for a first timer.
If you visit Loboc for the more popular floating restaurant, I would recommend staying a day or two and soak it in with SUP river paddling at SUP Tours Philippines - it's worth your while!
Thank you Frederic and Joan, and thank you Gerry!
Reader Comments:Elsbeth Lara Santos
(Nov 2, 2017) Hi, Gigit! Wala pa rin tigil sa travel and exploration, ha? :)
(Nov 1, 2017) spent my younger years surfing, Gigit...that's your next assignment if you haven't already
Jean Melliza Jueco
(Nov 1, 2017) the best to do stand up paddle with SUP Tours Phils.! nice to see you Gigit Sulit doing this with them!!!
(Nov 1, 2017) ...looking forward to do SUP with you sometime
(Nov 1, 2017) Don't forget about me!
(Nov 1, 2017) Glad you enjoyed
(Nov 1, 2017) 4 pack?
Next stop: Killer MTB Ride from Sevilla
Loboc, Bohol, Philippines
Bohol FYI / Tips
- the tourist area where most of the hotels, restaurants, ticket offices, tour operators are, is located within the Alona Beach area
- the tourist attractions in Bohol are far apart and spread-out. It would be difficult to visit them all using public mass transit. Better hire a van (P3500/day) if in a big group, or rent a motorcycle (P400/day + gas)
- Bohol relies on its tourism for revenue. As expected, everything they can capitalize on from tourism is extensively used and developed
Tagbilaran Port to PanglaoYou can charter any tricycle from the port all the way to Panglao (~P300), but if you want to do it on the cheap,
- don't take the tricycles lined-up inside the port. Walk past the port gate and immediately outside, you'll see many tricycles. Take one to the bus terminal in Dao (~P15)
- in Dao, take the jeep that plies the Panglao route (~P20)
Tagbilaran (Bohol) to Cebu City by boat** schedules and rates keep changing, call for latest schedule
- Weesam Express - departs 6:15 AM, 11:30 AM, 4:00 PM
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - departs 6-7:05-8:20-9:20-11:40AM, 1-2-3:30-4:20-5:30-6:30PM, 2 hours, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63(32)255 7560 / +63 (32) 255 0115 / 0917 638 0000
- SuperCat (2GO) - departs 5:50-11AM, 3:45-5:25-8:15PM, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
+63 32 233 7000
Things to do, Places to go in Bohol
- Chocolate Hills - this is a clustering of more than 1200 hills within a 50km2 area. They range in height from 30-50 meters. What's unusual is their near-perfect conical shape resembling an individual chocolate chip. No one knows how they were formed. Entrance is P50/pax.
- Tarsier Conservation Area - located Upper Bonbon, Loboc. The tarsiers are no longer being played at by tourists as circus props, but instead, visitors now view them in cordoned-off areas in their natural 6ha habitat. As they are territorial and nocturnal, they are predictable on where they can be viewed. P50/pax.
- Alona Beach (Panglao) - Alona Beach is the tourist hub of Bohol. It has 1.5 kms of white sand beach lined-up by bars, hotels and restos. Alona is also the jump-off point for Balicasag Island, a world class dive destination.
- Danao Adventure Park - located in Barangay Magtangtang, 72 kms (2 hours ride) from Tagbilaran. Adventure activities include river trekking, tyrolean traverse, rappelling, bouldering, rock climbing and ziplining.
- Exploring Combento Cave Pool June 29, 2017
- Visiting Cabagnow Cave Pool of Anda Jun 28, 2017
- Exploring Anda, Bohol June 25-30, 2017
- Roadtrip from Candijay to Ubay July 1, 2017
- Firefly Tour in Candijay, Bohol June 30, 2017
- Freediving Canawa Cold Spring of Candijay, Bohol June 30, 2017
- Splashing at Can-umantad Falls, Candijay, Bohol June 30, 2017
- Exploring Carlos P. Garcia (CPG) Island by Bike Dec 1, 2017
- Cycling to the Tarsiers of Corella Oct 26, 2017
- Cliff Dive at Molave Cove Feb 11, 2018
- Freediving at Molave Point, Dauis Nov 6, 2017
- The Return to Hinagdanan Cave Nov 5, 2017
- Exploring Hinagdanan Cave Oct 24, 2017
- The Ride to Morning Hill Oct 22, 2017
- The Ride to the Old Spanish Tower Oct 21, 2017
- Goodbye Loboc, Goodbye Philippines Mar 15, 2018
- The CubbyHole: Envisioning a Utopian Shangrila Mar 10, 2018
- Fat Shredder with the Russian Twist Mar 2, 2018
- No-Dismount Climb to Cruz Daku Mar 1, 2018
- Jeffrey's Cardio Program Feb 26, 2018
- SUP Yoga with Lalah de Dios at Fox and the Firefly Feb 25, 2018
- Bike Ride with Juan Huerte: Loboc, Sikatuna, Corella and Baclayon Feb 25, 2018
- CT Scan Result Feb 23, 2018
- The Silent Killer has Arrived Feb 19-22, 2018
- 24+ Days at Lyn's Backpackers Inn Jan 23 - Feb 16, 2018
- All Day Fun with the Loboc Crew Feb 11, 2018
- 20-Minute Rope Skipping w/ Pranayama and Meditation Feb 9, 2018
- Calisthenics with Jeffrey Feb 7, 2018
- Abs-Core Workout with Jeffrey Feb 5, 2018
- High Intensity Cardio Workout Feb 2, 2018
- Ride to the Landslide with Jeffrey Jan 31, 2018
- Farm Tour with Mr. Raymond Cal Jan 29, 2018
- Cacao Drum Roasting Jan 27, 2018
- Making Sikwate: from cacao fruit to a hot dark chocolate drink Jan 25, 2018
- 5 Weeks at the Fox and Firefly Cottages Dec 13, 2017 - Jan 23, 2018
- In-House Yoga Teacher at the Fox and Firefly Cottages Jan 22, 2018
- Mountain Bike Rides from Tagbilaran to Loboc Jan 18, 2018
- Firefly Tour on a Stand-Up Paddle (SUP) Dec 19, 2017
- Playing Mountain Bike Tour Optimizer Dec 18, 2017
- Back to Loboc Dec 13, 2017
- 37 Days in Loboc - Thank You and Goodbye Oct 8-Nov 14, 2017
- Exploring Busay Falls, Loktob Spring and Jimili-an Spring...on Foot Nov 11, 2017
- Stand-Up Paddle Yoga with Joan Christine Nov 3, 2017
- Loboc River Cruise on a Stand-Up Paddle Oct 29, 2017
- Exploring Guimba and Sog-ong Caves of Loboc Oct 22, 2017
- Ziplining and Cable Car Ride at Eco-Tourism Adventure Park Oct 22, 2017
- Savouring Villagio Pizza Oct 19, 2017
- Wet and Wild Bonbon-Alegria Downhill Ride Oct 18, 2017
- River Cruise on Loboc River Oct 17, 2017
- Back Road Ride from Loboc to Loay Oct 17, 2017
- Leisurely Ride to Loktob Spring Oct 14, 2017
- Sweet Ride to Busay Falls Oct 13, 2017
- Bike Climb to the Virgen de Guadalupe Oct 12, 2017
- The Ride to Cruz Daku (Big Cross) Oct 11, 2017
- Exploring Loboc, Bohol Oct 8, 2017
- Coastal Cleanup with Plastic Free Bohol Sept 16, 2017
- Exploring Panglao June 12-18, 2017
- Yoga with Ging and Rai at Oasis Resort June 18, 2017
- Freediving with Ben Meerhaeghe at SeaQuest Dive Center June 16, 2017
- Scuba Diving Balicasag Island with SeaQuest Dive Center June 15, 2017
- Bohol Revisited June 12, 2017
- Exploring Bohol Nov 28-30, 2015
- Visiting Bayongan Lake Nov 22, 2017
- Killer MTB Ride from Sevilla Oct 30, 2017
- Solo Ride to the Sikatuna Tree Park Nov 2, 2017
- 30 days in Tagbilaran, Thank You! Oct 8, 2017
- Breakfast Talk with Tagbilaran's Finest Oct 8, 2017
- Exploring the Cafe Scene of Tagbilaran Oct 7, 2017
- Yoga for 60+ Students at the University of Bohol Oct 4, 2017
- Chocolate Overload at Dalareich Chocolate House October 2, 2017
- Talk on Philosophy and Spirituality to 12-Graders at the University of Bohol Sep 27, 2017
- Celebrating the International Day of Peace Sep 23, 2017
- Judging a Student Debate at the University of Bohol Sept 15, 2017
- Fitness Workout with Chie at Bohol Tropics Resort Sept 13, 2017
- Modified Ashtanga Primary Series by Jing Yoga, Tagbilaran Sept 12, 2017
- Tagbilaran Revisited Sep 7-12, 2017
- Hello Tagbilaran! June 19-25, 2017
- Goodbye and Thank You, Ubay Nov 14-Dec 13, 2017
- Visiting the Ubay Stock Farm Dec 8, 2017
- Exploring Cambugsay Healing Hills with Lars Jensen Nov 22, 2017
- Visiting Ubay Green Park Nov 18, 2017
- The Ride to Sinandigan Boardwalk and the Yamashita Treasure Hunt Nov 18, 2017
- Ubay in a Nutshell Nov 17, 2017
- In Search of the Next Destination Nov 14, 2017
- 2 Days in Ubay July 1-3, 2017
Carlos P. Garcia Island
»» next story: Killer MTB Ride from Sevilla
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | ALL BLOGS