Jun 17, 2018
Matters of the Heart
Location: Dharamshala (city), Himachal Pradesh (state), India
It has been a long lingering suspicion that the weakest link within my humanity is the heart. That was recently underscored for me along clear lines.
Were those strong statements? Or was I seeing only what I wanted to see? I intellectualize nearly everything. Now, my benevolent universe is telling it to me straight,
"don't use your head to accomplish the task that the heart was meant to do".
I rationalize many things that should be weighed-in by the heart. My friends confirm that and my situation validates that. I know I'm right, but it doesn't feel right. I approach tender and delicate things, matter-of-factly. It's logical if not too cold. I accuse clever men of conjuring up clever words to justify something wrong. I feel guilty of the same crime - crime against my own humanity.
I have compassion for the plight of the faceless humanity. But perhaps too clinical to the familiar faces close to me. I exercise compassion not because I feel their pain, but because the job needs to be done. Even if I try to look within, I see good intentions and empathy - but not much of sympathy.
Putting the mind on a tight leash, allowing the heart to do its job. Where do I even begin?
Stumbing upon a 1934 book by Sri T. Krishnamacharya, Yoga Makaranda, it touched off on the Anahata Chakra or the heart chakra. Developing this chakra frees emotions to flow, with superior states of the mind arising from the heart. This is a good place to start.
Yoga & Fitness Website: YOGA by Gigit
Next stop: Trekking to Naddi from Upper Bhagsu, Dharamshala
Dharamshala (city), India
Travel Tips for Dharamshala
- short power outages frequently happen during the day
How to get to Dharamshala from Rishikesh by bus
- Bus - Rishikesh to Dharamshala is 449 kms. The usual route is to go to Haridwar and take the State transport buses to Lower Dharamshala, but it's less hassle to get a bus from Rishikesh that go all the way up to McLeod Ganj - a little more money (INR 1150) but worth it specially if you a carry bulky pack. You will leave Rishikesh 4pm and arrive in Dharamshala the following day (you save one night lodging) at 7am.
Travel Tips for India
- e-VISA - visa on arrival is no longer done. Tourists should apply online for an e-VISA. Tourist e-VISA for 60 days = US$51.25 (including surcharges, non-refundable). NOTE: e-VISA is only honored in 25 designated airports and 5 designated seaports (Cochin, Goa, Mangalore,Mumbai,Chennai). You CANNOT do a land crossing using an e-VISA.
- US$1 = Indian Rupee (INR) 67.18
- nearly every food served is spicy...there is no escaping it
- other travel destinations in India
- always good to have an Indian SIM. It's handy to get wifi in some cafes
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
India Blogs by TheLoneRider
- 16 Days in McLeod Ganj, Dharamshala: Goodbye India June 23-July 8, 2018
- Peoplescape of Dharamshala, India June 14 - July 8, 2018
- Visiting the Tibet Museum June 27, 2018
- In Search of Tibetan Yoga (Yantra Yoga) June 25, 2018
- Conducting Yoga Classes at Pema Thang Guest House, Dharamshala, India June 24 - July 8, 2018
- Life in Upper Bhagsu, Dharamshala June 16-23, 2018
- Trekking to Naddi from Upper Bhagsu, Dharamshala June 19, 2018
- Matters of the Heart Jun 17, 2018
- A First Timer in Dharamshala Jun 14, 2018
- 29 Hours in New Delhi Airport July 9-10, 2018
- Meditation with Shirly Pnina at Lodi Garden, New Delhi May 15, 2018
- A First-Timer in New Delhi, India May 12-17, 2018
- A 26-Day Mini-Life in Rishikesh May 18 - June 13, 2018
- Peoplescape of Rishikesh May 18 - June 13, 2018
- Rafting the Ganga River with Greg Goldstein June 1, 2018
- White Water Rafting on Ganga River, Rishikesh May 25, 2018
- Satsang (spiritual discourse) by Sadhvi Bhagawati Saraswati May 21, 2018
- Ganga Aarti (devotional fire ritual) at Parmarth Niketan Ashram May 21, 2018
- Bouncing Back into Yoga in Rishikesh May 21, 2018
- Exploring Rishikesh, India May 18, 2018
- India e-VISA snag May 9, 2018
»» next story: Trekking to Naddi from Upper Bhagsu, Dharamshala
»» next Lucid Thoughts story: Fork on the Road: Abundance or Poverty by Choice?
»» back to Lucid Thoughts
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | ALL BLOGS