June 1, 2018
Rafting the Ganga River with Greg Goldstein
Location: White World Expeditions, Tapovan (village), Tehri Garhwal (district), Rishikesh (city), Uttarakhand (state), India
Ganga on a Hot Day
Something as exciting (and refreshing) as rafting on the Ganga only gets better the hotter it gets. With good buddy Greg Goldstein, we hooked-up with Bheem Chauhan of White World Expeditions for a 16-km white water adventure on the fabled Ganga River.
This particular tour was special. Instead of packed like sardines on a raft, we had it all to ourselves - me, Greg and the solid 16-year rafting experience of Bheem, the capable hands-on owner of White World Expeditions. We took on the raging waters head-on, jumped into the rapids with our floatation device and paddled like crazy riding over the waves.
As if the adrenaline wasn't enough, Bheem took us to the highest cliff jump in Rishikesh - a towering 30+ foot high up on a boulder. With my vertigo still acting up from my failed cliff dive in the Philippines, it wasn't for me. But Greg had no qualms climbing up the rocks and without any hesitation, took the plunge down. According to him, the longer he stares at the dive, the higher it will feel. Whoa! That was kick-ass!
The adrenaline rush of white water on the Ganga was a fitting last-hurrah for Greg as it was his last day in Rishikesh. Safe travels my friend! Just glad all over for the bonding, the rush and the abundance. Thank you Bheem for that expert hands-on guidemanship. Another magical day unfolding in Rishikesh, this time, courtesy of White World Expeditions.
pictures and video courtesy of Greg and White World Expeditions
Reader Comments:Joan Christine
(June 5, 2018) Did that last year, its so much fun!! Glad to see you enjoying much in Rishikesh 🙂
(June 5, 2018) E2 ang gusto ko hehehe
Next stop: A 26-Day Mini-Life in Rishikesh
Rishikesh (city), India
Travel Tips for Rishikesh
- During the cooler season when any of the hugely popular gurus or babas visit to give a satsang, eg. Prem Baba, Mooji Baba, all rooms are fully booked from Rishikesh to Hardiwar!
- short power outages frequently happen during the day
How to get to Rishikesh from New Delhi by bus
- Bus - take the Metro Yellow Line and get off at Kashmiri Gate. Exit the station from Gate 7 and enter the ISBT building - this is the bus terminal. Go down one flight and go to Platform 14. This is where you buy the bus ticket and board the bus. A/C bus, INR 454, 6 hours. You can take the 10:30pm bus and arrive 5am in Rishikesh.
scam alert! - over the ticket counter, the guy may verbally charge you INR 765 - this is usually the online price of the bus ticket. But I looked closely at the printed ticket, and found the price at INR 454. I demanded more change! The guy knew he's been discovered and gave me back the rest of the change.
You will arrive in Rishikesh at Adarsh Gram. To get to your hotel, travelers usually share a tuk-tuk (called Vikrams) for INR 10-20/passenger if shared. Since I arrived 5am, there was no one to share so I ended up paying a negotiated INR 150.
Travel Tips for India
- e-VISA - visa on arrival is no longer done. Tourists should apply online for an e-VISA (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html). Tourist e-VISA for 60 days = US$51.25 (including surcharges, non-refundable). NOTE: e-VISA is only honored in 25 designated airports and 5 designated seaports (Cochin, Goa, Mangalore,Mumbai,Chennai). You CANNOT do a land crossing using an e-VISA.
- US$1 = Indian Rupee (INR) 67.18
- nearly every food served is spicy...there is no escaping it
- other travel destinations in India
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
India Blogs by TheLoneRider
- Life in Upper Bhagsu, Dharamshala June 16-23, 2018
- Matters of the Heart Jun 17, 2018
- A First Timer in Dharamshala Jun 14, 2018
- Meditation with Shirly Pnina at Lodi Garden, New Delhi May 15, 2018
- A First-Timer in New Delhi, India May 12-17, 2018
- A 26-Day Mini-Life in Rishikesh May 18 - June 13, 2018
- Peoplescape of Rishikesh May 18 - June 13, 2018
- Rafting the Ganga River with Greg Goldstein June 1, 2018
- White Water Rafting on Ganga River, Rishikesh May 25, 2018
- Satsang (spiritual discourse) by Sadhvi Bhagawati Saraswati May 21, 2018
- Ganga Aarti (devotional fire ritual) at Parmarth Niketan Ashram May 21, 2018
- Bouncing Back into Yoga in Rishikesh May 21, 2018
- Exploring Rishikesh, India May 18, 2018
- India e-VISA snag May 9, 2018
»» next Traveling story: A 26-Day Mini-Life in Rishikesh
»» back to Rafting
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | ALL BLOGS