May 27, 2014
108 Sun Salutations and Tour of the Manilay Ancestral Home, Gen San
GPS waypoint: N 6.138403, E 125.168968
Location: Purok Malakas, Gen San, So. Cotabato, Philippines
Having 'discovered' the Manilay Ancestral Home while taking us for a tour, Helen negotiated with the owner, Warren Manilay, for use of the outdoor open space on the 2nd floor to do yoga. No problem with Warren - cool guy!
Manilay Ancestral Home
The Manilay Ancestral Home is a quaint turn-of-the-century Spanish-style 2-storie house that has been well-maintained over the decades. No one resides there anymore and the place is looked after by caretakers. The vast land area is also an amalgam of odd things - like a semi zoo. It keeps a monkey, a kangaroo (it seemed like a dwarf kangaroo...a local species?), and several caged animals. Additionally, it also has an open air collection of vintage cars and motorcycles. For its prize collection, it has a Lambreta vintage moped fully painted and duly signed by Manny Pacquiao himself. Think of it as a little playground for Warren who continues to be impassioned by his collection.
108 Sun Salutations
This is the 2nd time I've done this. The first one was in Cebu. It left my shoulders and triceps aching and sore. At the very least, it's a different kind of yoga from the traditional led class. Several teachers took turns doing the cueing as we finished the entire 108 Surya Namaskar A.
Gen San keeps many secrets. The Manilay Ancestral Home is just one of them. Equally interesting is Warren Manilay himself. We could have talked for hours as our hobbies parallel each other. But all in good time. For now, I take delight in peeling the splendors of Gen San, one layer at a time.
- take a blue tricycle anywhere and ask to be taken to Savemore Supermarket at Purok Malakas (this is what the driver will be familiar with). From there, it's a short walk. Still, ask around where Manilay Home is and have the tricycle drop you off there. P30/pax, if you're the only passenger.
- Thank You, Gen San...til Next Time May 14-Jul 4, 2014
- Long Drive for Apareja Halo-Halo in Koronadal Jul 1, 2014
- Twist Sequence Jun 28, 2014
- Sunday Farmer's Market in Gen San Jun 22, 2014
- Marichi Yoga House 3-Month Online ABS Showdown 2014 Jun 21 - Sep 20, 2014
- Father's Day Greeting June 15, 2014
- One-Leg Sequence Jun 14, 2014
- Core Sequence Jun 7, 2014
- Hearty Street Breakfast at Purok Malakas, Gen San June 3, 2014
- Backbend Sequence May 31, 2014
- 108 Sun Salutations and Tour of the Manilay Ancestral Home, Gen San May 27, 2014
- Climbing Mt. Matutum, South Cotabato May 24-25, 2014
- White Water Tubing at Maitum, Sarangani May 18, 2014
- Yoga at Sar Bay Festival 2014 May 16, 2014
- Teaching Yoga at the Marichi Yoga House in Gen San May 15-16, 2014
- Mystery Lady of GenSan Dec 15, 2012
- Sunrise Festival at Gen San Nov 27-Dec 7, 2012
May 27, 2014
»» next Yoga story: Backbend Sequence
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage