Oct 5, 2018
Sunrise Yoga with Jerome at Yangon Yoga House
Yoga Style: Vinyasa Yoga
Location: Yangon Yoga House, Yangon, Myanmar
Yangon Yoga House
Yangon Yoga House is one of a few English yoga studios in Yangon. It was founded in 2015 by yogi couple Jojo (Burmese New Yorker) and Jerome (French ex-banker). Under one roof, the studio also offers healthy vegan eats with Nourish Cafe and indulgent pampering with Bliss Beauty Bar using non-toxic and cruelty-free products.
Jerome used to be a banker in France and the UK before handling the operations side of the yoga studio in 2015. It didn't take long before he took the 200-hour yoga teacher training certification to deepen his practice. This led inevitably to teaching the practice itself - thanks to Jojo's not-too-subtle arm-twisting persuasion :) Jerome believes that yoga should adapt to the student (not the other way around). He supplements traditional yoga asanas with strength training.
I attended Jerome's 7am Sunrise Yoga together with 3 other Caucasians. Jerome's class started with a meditative grounding to still the mind and transition slowly into the asanas. The pace was slow and un-hurried. We had ample time to sink into the pose. Some asanas were innovative, partnering different elements into an asana - e.g., an eagle pose on a high lunge with forearms close to the floor. The class mostly consisted of stretching with a few holds. It was appropriate given that it was a 7am class. Perhaps on an afternoon class, there would be more muscle toning and isometrics. At the end of the class, the feeling was getting a big long stretch from a long sleep to start off the day. Essentially, that's what it really was.
An Air Issue
Because of the dengue scare, the windows were shut and fans were on. But the fans were only circulating the same air within the studio. Towards the end, it got stuffy. I am sensitive to air. Post-class, I suggested to Jerome that perhaps screens can be placed on the windows to allow fresh air flow.
I had been conducting a daily yoga class with BeautyLand Hotel II's staff, but this is the first yoga class I've attended in Myanmar. It was a good pick-me-upper class to start the day. As I usually say, when you start the day with yoga, anything else that follows is gravy.
Thank you Jojo and Jerome for having me in your studio.
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
Next stop: Vipassana in the Tradition of Sayagi U Ba Khin as Taught by U Ko Lay
- 14 Days in Yangon Sept 24 - Oct 8, 2018
- Chillin' at The Social House - Kitchen & Tap Oct 4-7, 2018
- Abs-Yoga with BeautyLand Hotel II Staff Oct 3-7, 2018
- CouchSurfing in Yangon Oct 6, 2018
- Vipassana in the Tradition of Sayagi U Ba Khin as Taught by U Ko Lay Oct 6, 2018
- Sunrise Yoga with Jerome at Yangon Yoga House Oct 5, 2018
- Stumbling Upon the Shwedagon Pagoda Oct 2, 2018
- Movie Review: The Divine Order (2017) Sep 29, 2018
- 'Clean Yangon Green Yangon' Street Clean-Up Sep 29, 2018
- Movie Review: A Serious Game (2016) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: Amy (2015) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: In The Fade (2017) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Perfect Strangers (2016) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Little Wing (2016) Sep 26, 2018
- Mundo Lingo Yangon at 50th Street Cafe Sep 25, 2018
- A First Timer in Yangon, Myanmar Sep 24, 2018
Yangon (city), Myanmar
Yangon International Airport
How to Get to Downtown Yangon from the Yangon International Airport (RGN)
- take the shuttle bus from Airport to Downtown Yangon, it costs MMK 500. It passes through the main artery of Yangon.
Yangon Travel Tips
- useful site: Wiki Travel Yangon
Myanmar Travel Tips
- as of Sep 19, 2018: $1 = MMK 1,569.96 | 1 THB = 48.1581 MMK
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
»» next story: Vipassana in the Tradition of Sayagi U Ba Khin as Taught by U Ko Lay
»» next Yoga story: Abs-Yoga with BeautyLand Hotel II Staff
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | ALL BLOGS