Sep 26, 2018
Movie Review: Little Wing (2016)
(5 stars out of 5)
Cast: Linnea Skog, Paula Vesala, Lauri Maijala
Director: Selma Vilhunen
Writer: Selma Vilhunen
Run Time: 1h 40min
Premiere Date: 23 September 2016
Awards: RiverRun International Film Festival 2017, Nordic Council 2017, Jussi Awards 2017
Screening Location: Nay Pyi Taw Cinema, Yangon, Myanmar
Event: European Film Festival
European Film Festival
As serendipity would have it, as I was exploring my neighborhood, I came upon a movie house, Nay Pyi Taw Cinema, showing paid commercial and free filmfest movies. It was the European Film Festival. I was just in time for the screening of Little Wing from Finland. I simply took the ticket and enjoyed the movie...just like that. Sweet, no?
The story centers on a troubled 12-year old girl and her relationship with her mother. She hasn't seen her father since birth and keeps making excuses to her equestrian friends why her father can't pick her up. She longs to be with him. She's also frustrated about her mother who can't seem to get it together and who keeps failing her driving exam. On a whim, she took on to search for her father. She finds him but he wasn't exactly what she was hoping. This brought about dramatic changes to her, her mother and her father.
The cadence was slow but engaging. The acting was very natural - perhaps even under-acting. Where the movie already makes a point, it is no longer verbalized. I like that part - it doesn't insult your intelligence. Where there was no need for talk, the powerful soundtrack took the reigns. The story was simple but not boring. It was honest enough that you could relate to because it emulates life...not some contrived Hollywood creation.
I couldn't find a flaw in the film - nothing sticking out like a sore thumb. Moreover, the movie had a lingering effect on me long after the screening. It got me emotionally invested in it. I guess those are 2 litmus tests I use to benchmark a movie - out of place elements and its lingering effect. I would highly recommend this movie...if you can find it.
The film fest lasts until Sep 30 screening 2 free movies/day. Woohoo! As a movie buff, I feel like Dracula hired by a blood bank!
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Next stop: Movie Review: Perfect Strangers (2016)
- 14 Days in Yangon Sept 24 - Oct 8, 2018
- Chillin' at The Social House - Kitchen & Tap Oct 4-7, 2018
- Abs-Yoga with BeautyLand Hotel II Staff Oct 3-7, 2018
- CouchSurfing in Yangon Oct 6, 2018
- Vipassana in the Tradition of Sayagi U Ba Khin as Taught by U Ko Lay Oct 6, 2018
- Sunrise Yoga with Jerome at Yangon Yoga House Oct 5, 2018
- Stumbling Upon the Shwedagon Pagoda Oct 2, 2018
- Movie Review: The Divine Order (2017) Sep 29, 2018
- 'Clean Yangon Green Yangon' Street Clean-Up Sep 29, 2018
- Movie Review: A Serious Game (2016) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: Amy (2015) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: In The Fade (2017) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Perfect Strangers (2016) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Little Wing (2016) Sep 26, 2018
- Mundo Lingo Yangon at 50th Street Cafe Sep 25, 2018
- A First Timer in Yangon, Myanmar Sep 24, 2018
Yangon (city), Myanmar
Yangon International Airport
How to Get to Downtown Yangon from the Yangon International Airport (RGN)
- take the shuttle bus from Airport to Downtown Yangon, it costs MMK 500. It passes through the main artery of Yangon.
Yangon Travel Tips
- useful site: Wiki Travel Yangon
Myanmar Travel Tips
- as of Sep 19, 2018: $1 = MMK 1,569.96 | 1 THB = 48.1581 MMK
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
»» next Movie Review story: Movie Review: Perfect Strangers (2016)
»» back to Movie Review
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | ALL BLOGS