Oct 3-7, 2018
Abs-Yoga with BeautyLand Hotel II Staff
Location: BeautyLand Hotel II, Yangon, Myanmar
Abs-Yoga with BeautyLand Hotel II Staff
At the onset, I already advised the owner that I'm willing to conduct a free yoga class for him, his family and his staff. He finally took me up on my offer. A space was cleared to make room for everyone. With no yoga mats, we were limited to standing poses - but that was plenty. With everyone being a first-timer, conceptual cornerstone was the order of the day - safety edge, breath, mindfulness and non-reaction. This was a class attended by staff who could make it for the daily 11am slot.
On one session, it would have been another regular yoga class until one said he wanted abs. Abs is an interesting thing. Personal trainers know for a fact that their clients want to develop abs more than any other part of the body. It looks pretty, yes, but beyond that, it's also extremely functional. Nearly every movement or exertion we do stems or cross through the abs. It's a load-bearing structure that benefits the body if well developed. Having explained that for a fact, and also to keep them interested in the practice, I dropped whatever asana sequence I had in mind and shifted gears to an abs-yoga class.
Sure, nearly all the asana were focused on the abs, but it was first and foremost, a yoga class. Priority was still on breath and mental focus. To manage their expectation, I was clear that having good abs didn't only mean mega crunches. I explained how a cardio workout and good diet come hand-in-hand to shed the fat and reveal those washboards!
On my last class, I played a Bryan Kest video and conducted it. I didn't want them to stop the practice simply because I'm gone. Now that they have an experience on Bryan Kest, I left them the video file so they can conduct their own practice using the video. Hopefully, they keep up to it.
Shortly before my departure, the staff handed me a surprise donation which they all contributed to. I was moved. I initially refused saying the yoga lessons were my gift and that I did not want anything in return. But they insisted saying it's in their tradition. I gratefully accepted.
I hope that aside from teaching, I was also able to inspire them. In pursuing the practice when there is no teacher, inspiration is key. The staff and Tin and his family were all wonderful people who looked after me. I'm just thankful I have yoga as currency to say thank you.
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
(Oct 8, 2018) Ikaw pinaka fit dto sir G!
(Oct 8, 2018) Idol!
(Oct 8, 2018) Oh waw waw superman
Leave a comment?
Next stop: Chillin' at The Social House - Kitchen & Tap
- 14 Days in Yangon Sept 24 - Oct 8, 2018
- Chillin' at The Social House - Kitchen & Tap Oct 4-7, 2018
- Abs-Yoga with BeautyLand Hotel II Staff Oct 3-7, 2018
- CouchSurfing in Yangon Oct 6, 2018
- Vipassana in the Tradition of Sayagi U Ba Khin as Taught by U Ko Lay Oct 6, 2018
- Sunrise Yoga with Jerome at Yangon Yoga House Oct 5, 2018
- Stumbling Upon the Shwedagon Pagoda Oct 2, 2018
- Movie Review: The Divine Order (2017) Sep 29, 2018
- 'Clean Yangon Green Yangon' Street Clean-Up Sep 29, 2018
- Movie Review: A Serious Game (2016) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: Amy (2015) Sep 28, 2018
- Movie Review: In The Fade (2017) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Perfect Strangers (2016) Sep 27, 2018
- Movie Review: Little Wing (2016) Sep 26, 2018
- Mundo Lingo Yangon at 50th Street Cafe Sep 25, 2018
- A First Timer in Yangon, Myanmar Sep 24, 2018
Yangon (city), Myanmar
Yangon International Airport
How to Get to Downtown Yangon from the Yangon International Airport (RGN)
- take the shuttle bus from Airport to Downtown Yangon, it costs MMK 500. It passes through the main artery of Yangon.
Yangon Travel Tips
- useful site: Wiki Travel Yangon
Myanmar Travel Tips
- as of Sep 19, 2018: $1 = MMK 1,569.96 | 1 THB = 48.1581 MMK
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
»» next story: 14 Days in Yangon
»» next Yoga story: Beach Yoga in DaNang, Vietnam
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | ALL BLOGS