May 18, 2013
Swimming at Hubason River in Carmen, Surigao del Sur
GPS waypoint: N9 12.494 E126 00.752
Location: Brgy. San Vicente, Municipality of Carmen, Province of Surigao del Sur
I was informed of Hubason by the high school girls I met at the Sanctuary yesterday. With my last remaining days in Lanuza, I had to see it. After asking around, I got mixed reviews - that it's just a river, that it's beautiful, etc. In my experience, locals know their backyard too well, they take it for granted. Even though everyone from Lanuza knows about it, not everyone has been there.
Hubason Recreational Haven
Yes, Hubason is a river, but whoa! What a river for swimming. It's not too far from Lanuza - just 15 minutes. Most of the river has big rocks that make it ideal for rafting if the water is high (no, rafting is not offered), but the swim area is clear of any big rock. It's about as wide and 2x the rectangular length of a basketball court tha's open for swimming from shallow to about 7 feet. It even has a diving board! The water is clean, refreshing and invigorating. Tables can be rented at P30. There's even lodging.
Overall, it's just amazing to have this gem of a place for wholesome recreation. But this is just one of so many natural attractions dotting up the Surigao coastline.
ps - If you want me to objectively cover the features of your city or municipality or barangay for this website (fiesta, waterfall, mountain trail, lake, river, cave, food, islands, beach, etc.), email me.
- take a jeep or bus bound for Cantilan or Surigao (going north) and ask to be dropped off at Carmen, by the church, P10, 10 mins.
- at the church, hire a single motorcycle to Hubason, dirtroad, P20 one way, 5 mins.
- entrance fee - P5 adults, P2 kids
- picnic table - P30
- lodging - P300/room for one person (bed is too narrow for 2 pax)
- bring lotsa cash. There is no bank here. Others had to go to the next big city (no joking matter) just to replenish on cash
- fyi, internet is slow and only 3 commercial establishments have wifi - Priz Cafe, Surf Camp and 'Tagalog'
- from Tandag - at the Balilahan Terminal in Tandag, board any jeep or bus bound for Surigao or Cantilan. Get off at Lanuza (market), P50 jeep, 1 hour 20 mins.
- from Surigao City - take any Bachelor Bus going to Tandag, vans can go straight to Lanuza
- from Butuan City - go to the bus terminal and board any bus bound for Tandag. From Butuan airport, there is a van going to Lanuza
- from Davao City - take a bus going to Tandag and from Tandag, take bus or jeep going to Cantilan (or Surigao) but get off at Lanuza
- surfing - beach break, reef breaks, great for hard core surfers, great for beginners too, surf competition mid-November
- Campamento Cave and Silop Spring (N9 13.033 E126 02.756) - N9 12.978 E126 02.743, stalactites and interesting rock formation, P500/3pax tour package
- Magkawas Falls and Green Paradise - N9 14.995 E126 06.936, great for taking a dip, photo op and just communing with nature, P450/pax, max of 5 pax for guided tour
- River Cruise and Firefly Watching - P650/4 pax, includes boat, guide and dinner
- Lanuza Marine Park and Sanctuary - N 09 15.279 E 126 06.753, fish spawning area, view deck overlooking Lanuza Bay, coffee at the Sanctuary Cafe
- Mangrove Forest - protected habitat for fish breeding
- Lanuza Ancestral Home - built in 1898, the structure is well preserved and still functional
- Lanuza Boulevard - take a stroll at sundown and catch the breathtaking sunset
- Punta Beach - taller waves for more experienced surfers
- Hubason River - located in Carmen, but only 15 mins away from Lanuza
contact Ms. Glenda Joy DC. Felix, the Tourism Operations Officer at 0939.916.9512 or email at email@example.com
(in May 23, 2013, a request has been made to Ms. Glenda Joy DC. Felix, the Tourism Operations Officer, for the individual telephone numbers of these homestays)
- Babac Bungalows - accommodation, surfing and yoga
- Mami's Surf Haus - N9 13.932 E126 03.475, aka Avelina Rosil, P200/pax dormitory, 0919.923.9007
- Ma. Karissa Julve - N9 14.004 E126 03.492
- Offshore - fronting beach
- Valspeak - fronting beach
- Bamboo Homestay -
- Twain Homestay - N9 14.009 E126 03.468
- Elizalde Homestay -
- Raymond Cubero -
- Susa Orozco -
- Fedila Ariate -
- Poktoy Palm Haven -
- Lanuza Pastoral Center -
- Inday Dina - N9 13.954 E126 03.541, cell 0949.673.2121
- 3E Lodge -
- Priz Babak Beach Resort -
- Surf Lanuza Training -
- Surf Camp - N9 14.126 E126 03.674, fronting beach, P150/pax non a/c, P1200/room/2pax a/c
(along the Surigao coastline from Surigao City to Surigao del Sur)
- Rite of Passage on Cantrasa Shoal Jul 12, 2013
- Karma Yoga in Surigao City July 5, 2013
- The Wooden Footbridge and Waterfall of Cantiasay, Surigao City July 1, 2013
- Outdoor Adventure Tour in Nonoc Island, Surigao City Jul 1-2, 2013
- The Deadly Bitaugan Whirlpool of Surigao City Jun 26, 2013
- Beaching it at Pebble Beach and Looc Beach, Surigao City Jun 22-24, 2013
- Exploring Silop Cave of Surigao City Jun 22, 2013
- Free-Diving the Coral Reef of Birok Islet, Surigao City June 12, 2013
- Boat Ride through the Floating Village of Day-asan June 12, 2013
- Island Hopping Adventures in Tagana-an, Surigao del Norte July 23-25, 2013
- Exploring Siargao's Cloud 9 July 18-20, 2013
- Judging Del Carmen's Beauty Pagent and Street Dancing July 15-16, 2013
- Diving the Reef of Cagtinae, Surigao del Norte Jul 7, 2013
- Ayoke Island May 27, 2013
- Casarica Island May 27, 2013
- General Island May 27, 2013
- Sua Cold Spring - in Brgy Esperanza. From main highway, get off at Madrid terminal and take motorcycle ride for the spring. If coming from Lanuza, get off at crossing of Cangcaban then take habal-habal for the spring
- Hubason River May 18, 2013
- Lanuza Marine Park and Sanctuary May 17, 2013 - coral reef, snorkeling, cafe. Also a short walk to Magkawas Falls.
- Magkawas Falls in Lanuza, Surigao del Sur May 16, 2013
- Silop Spring May 16, 2013
- Campamento Cave May 16, 2013
- Herrera Ancestral Home
- Lubcon Falls - from Tandag, take jeep for Cantilan or Cortes and ask the driver to drop you off at Lubcon Falls, P25, 30 mins, 15 kms
- Burgos Togonan Falls
- Laswitan - strong waves crashing against the rocks and spilling over to fill up a rock pool (while you're dipping in it)
- Campiri Rocks - going over huge boulders, dipping in a rock pool, standing on a rock summit as waves hits and splash against it, and to cap all, you rest on the base of the light house perched on top of the rocks in full view of the magnificent Pacific Ocean
- Bakwitan Cave - a refuge by the towns folk during the Japanese occupation and during the typhoon of 2004
- Buybuyan Beach - small beach, almost like a personal beach, fine white sand (there are no commercial establishments on the beach...its undeveloped)
- Sihagan Beach - fine white sand for long walks on a beach (there are no commercial establishments on the beach...its undeveloped)
- Uba Marine Sanctuaries - scuba dive with gear from the LGU. At P250 per dive, you can't beat it!
- Capandan Marine Sanctuaries - scuba dive with gear from the LGU. At P250 per dive, you can't beat it!
- Balibadon Marine Sanctuary
- Mabahin Marine Sanctuary
- Tigao Marine Sanctuary
- Poblacion Marine Sanctuary
- Exploring Dayao Cave of Tandag, Surigao del Sur May 12, 2013
- Brgy. Bongtud - Twin Linungao Island, Mancagangi Island & MPA (Marine Protected Area - fish sanctuary)
- white sand beaches
- Britania Islets May 6-8, 2013 - small islets dotting the bay. Island tour, beach, mangrove forest.
- Enchanted River May 6, 2013
- Sibadan Fish Cage May 5, 2013
- Tinuy-an Falls
May 18, 2013
»» next Traveling story: 8 Days in Lanuza, Surigao del Sur
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
ALL YEARS |