July 5, 2013
Karma Yoga in Surigao City
GPS waypoint: 9.788879,125.492893
Location: 2nd floor above David's Salon, Surigao City proper, Province of Surigao del Norte
Free Yoga Anyone?
I'd like to think I'm religious with my yoga practice. But left on my own devices, I inevitably find my usual excuses. The only thing that works is when I have to conduct a yoga class - there is no option but to be there. In every destination I pass through, I try to make this work. Even if my yoga is free (karma yoga), it doesn't always happen. If and when it builds momentum, it would be at a point when I have to move on. Why free yoga? I'd been living THE life. It's only fair to give back in a currency I know best (among many, but never money).
Surigao's Yoga Class
Through Nathalie Penados, a travel blogger I met in Surigao, I got wind of Surigao's yoga, conducted by Jeanne Dumlao. It's not conspicuous - there is no sign and no advertisement. It'll be under your nose and you won't even know it's there. I knocked on its door and before I knew it, I was already on the mat. Yes, it has always been open to the public, but there have been only a few takers. You see the same faces (or so I was told). To encourage public participation through increased visibility and affordability, community yoga is also offered by Jeanne at the provincial grandstand at P20/session. I admire that. Yoga, ideally, should be for everyone. But, as Dulce Capadocia, my US-based yoga friend remarked, "yoga is too expensive in the Philippines...it's beyond the reach of the masses". True. In Manila, yoga can go as high as P500 a pop...maybe higher now.
Jeanne's yoga crowd is warm, friendly and accepting. Actually, in any yoga setting I'd been to, the people are always warm and friendly, be it Manila, Cebu, Toronto, etc. The breath is universal and has the same universal effect on people. I resonate with yogic people. It's almost like we're cut from the same cloth. I can go to any yoga studio on the planet and find common denominators with its denizens. It feels like being a member of an exclusive club.
Conducting a Class
Jeanne invited me to conduct a class, which I accepted, of course. It was a great way for me to pursue my practice and an excellent way to get to know the community a little better. Like always, I just wing the asanas depending on what calls out at the moment. I was rusty not having done this in months, but they were forgiving. The partner yoga interlude was a refreshing diversion.
Dinner at Chez Zati
I got invited to dinner after my class by Zati Orquina, one of the practitioners. Zati's candor is equalled by her love for cooking and entertaining friends. I'm probably the latest of many beneficiaries who have savoured the epicurean offerings at Chez Zati. You can almost taste the love she pours into her dishes. What better way to wash the food down than with fermented grape juice - wine, for short. Wine flowed like water and the conversation hopped from one facet of life to another, like a flat stone skipping on calm water. I just met her, but it seems like I've known her for many years. I like this group. From the little I've seen, they know how to play hard and work hard. I respect that.
Ah yoga...the many doors it opens. Many many thanks to Zati and Jeanne, to Jowee and Ayeth, for that memorable evening of yoga, wine, food and conversation :)
ps - If you want me to participate and write about your yoga studio or your yoga practice, email me. For my complete yoga profile, you can visit this page: YOGA by Gigit
0917.533.7042 | email@example.com
3871 Narciso St. Surigao City. Green Gate across STI
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 5pm - 6:30pm
COMMUNITY YOGA (twice a month, notice on their FB page)
Wednesdays, 6pm to 7pm
- if you don't have a yoga mat, Jeanne has a few spare in the studio
- take a tricycle from anywhere in Surigao City and ask to be dropped-off at 3871 Narciso St., P8/pax. This new studio will open late July 2013
Surigao del Norte
Goodbye Surigao July 23, 2013
Island Hopping Adventures in Tagana-an, Surigao del Norte July 23-25, 2013
Exploring Siargao's Cloud 9 July 18-20, 2013
Judging Del Carmen's Beauty Pagent and Street Dancing July 15-16, 2013
Rite of Passage on Cantrasa Shoal Jul 12, 2013
Diving the Reef of Cagtinae, Surigao del Norte Jul 7, 2013
Karma Yoga in Surigao City July 5, 2013
The Wooden Footbridge and Waterfall of Cantiasay, Surigao City July 1, 2013
Outdoor Adventure Tour in Nonoc Island, Surigao City Jul 1-2, 2013
The Deadly Bitaugan Whirlpool of Surigao City Jun 26, 2013
Beaching it at Pebble Beach and Looc Beach, Surigao City Jun 22-24, 2013
Exploring Silop Cave of Surigao City Jun 22, 2013
Surigao City Flow Jun 22, 2013
Free-Diving the Coral Reef of Birok Islet, Surigao City June 12, 2013
Boat Ride through the Floating Village of Day-asan June 12, 2013
Surprising Twist in Surigao City May 28, 2013
(along the Surigao coastline from Surigao City to Surigao del Sur)
- Rite of Passage on Cantrasa Shoal Jul 12, 2013
- Karma Yoga in Surigao City July 5, 2013
- The Wooden Footbridge and Waterfall of Cantiasay, Surigao City July 1, 2013
- Outdoor Adventure Tour in Nonoc Island, Surigao City Jul 1-2, 2013
- The Deadly Bitaugan Whirlpool of Surigao City Jun 26, 2013
- Beaching it at Pebble Beach and Looc Beach, Surigao City Jun 22-24, 2013
- Exploring Silop Cave of Surigao City Jun 22, 2013
- Free-Diving the Coral Reef of Birok Islet, Surigao City June 12, 2013
- Boat Ride through the Floating Village of Day-asan June 12, 2013
- Island Hopping Adventures in Tagana-an, Surigao del Norte July 23-25, 2013
- Exploring Siargao's Cloud 9 July 18-20, 2013
- Judging Del Carmen's Beauty Pagent and Street Dancing July 15-16, 2013
- Diving the Reef of Cagtinae, Surigao del Norte Jul 7, 2013
- Ayoke Island May 27, 2013
- Casarica Island May 27, 2013
- General Island May 27, 2013
- Sua Cold Spring - in Brgy Esperanza. From main highway, get off at Madrid terminal and take motorcycle ride for the spring. If coming from Lanuza, get off at crossing of Cangcaban then take habal-habal for the spring
- Hubason River May 18, 2013
- Lanuza Marine Park and Sanctuary May 17, 2013 - coral reef, snorkeling, cafe. Also a short walk to Magkawas Falls.
- Magkawas Falls in Lanuza, Surigao del Sur May 16, 2013
- Silop Spring May 16, 2013
- Campamento Cave May 16, 2013
- Herrera Ancestral Home
- Lubcon Falls - from Tandag, take jeep for Cantilan or Cortes and ask the driver to drop you off at Lubcon Falls, P25, 30 mins, 15 kms
- Burgos Togonan Falls
- Laswitan - strong waves crashing against the rocks and spilling over to fill up a rock pool (while you're dipping in it)
- Campiri Rocks - going over huge boulders, dipping in a rock pool, standing on a rock summit as waves hits and splash against it, and to cap all, you rest on the base of the light house perched on top of the rocks in full view of the magnificent Pacific Ocean
- Bakwitan Cave - a refuge by the towns folk during the Japanese occupation and during the typhoon of 2004
- Buybuyan Beach - small beach, almost like a personal beach, fine white sand (there are no commercial establishments on the beach...its undeveloped)
- Sihagan Beach - fine white sand for long walks on a beach (there are no commercial establishments on the beach...its undeveloped)
- Uba Marine Sanctuaries - scuba dive with gear from the LGU. At P250 per dive, you can't beat it!
- Capandan Marine Sanctuaries - scuba dive with gear from the LGU. At P250 per dive, you can't beat it!
- Balibadon Marine Sanctuary
- Mabahin Marine Sanctuary
- Tigao Marine Sanctuary
- Poblacion Marine Sanctuary
- Exploring Dayao Cave of Tandag, Surigao del Sur May 12, 2013
- Brgy. Bongtud - Twin Linungao Island, Mancagangi Island & MPA (Marine Protected Area - fish sanctuary)
- white sand beaches
- Britania Islets May 6-8, 2013 - small islets dotting the bay. Island tour, beach, mangrove forest.
- Enchanted River May 6, 2013
- Sibadan Fish Cage May 5, 2013
- Tinuy-an Falls
(Jul 11, 2013) Awesome! Thanks Git!
(Jul 11, 2013) Thanks Git, I'm smiling while reading I'm in your blog!
(Jul 11, 2013) thanks thanks!!!
July 5, 2013
»» next story: Diving the Reef of Cagtinae, Surigao del Norte
»» next Yoga story: Yoga in Davao
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage
ALL YEARS |