July 1, 2013
The Wooden Footbridge and Waterfall of Cantiasay, Surigao City
GPS waypoint: N9.853504 E125.585022
Location: Brgy. Cantiasay, Nonoc Island, Surigao City, Province of Surigao del Norte
After a sumptuous lunch at Brgy. Nonok, Kapitan and Kagawad were kind enough to take us by boat to the neighboring barangay, Cantiasay. Cantiasay is known for its wooden foot bridge. At 472 meters long, connecting two islands, it's the longest foot bridge in the country. Moreover, after meeting with the barangay officials, we were given a rare treat - a brief trek to their waterfall for some water frolicking. Even people from Surigao City are not aware Cantiasay has a waterfall!
Cantiasay Wooden Footbridge
Food Glorious Food
But before all that we were given the signature hospitality that Surigao is known for - a hearty lunch (again!) with the freshest catch of the day. Of course, we just finished lunch at Brgy. Nonok and we were full. But food as good as this needs to be savoured - squid, eel and other reef fish. Personally, I'd rather have these fishes in the reef than on my plate, but since it's only gracious to accept your host's offer, I found my perfect excuse for a gastronomic indulgence.
The Cantiasay Brgy. Captain and his staff took the time to pesonally accompany us to the falls - first by a truck and then the short trek. Being summer, the volume of water coming down wasn't exactly torrential, but it made for good dipping...and rinsing, specially after doing all that snorkeling on the reef. The water was fun, refreshing and only complemented the snorkeling that came before. The falls is about 20 feet high and could be as wide as 10 feet in the rainy season. The plunge pool is small and shallow but there is already an ambitious plan to make it deeper and wider, with a few nipa cottages for the overnighters. Right now, the only overnight lodging in the area is Brgy. Nonok which is a short boat ride away.
Cantiasay Wooden Food Bridge
What can I say? This bridge is quaint, long and charming. Some of the planks need to be repaired but the bridge holds up nicely even in strong current. When the sun is more forgiving it makes for a pleasant walk...whether alone for quality moment, or with company. It's the best cheap date you can imagine. During its early days, it was THE dating place. I can perfectly understand. I wish there was a bridge this romantic when my hormones were raging...back in the day.
The more time I've spent here in Surigao City, the more I experience its many layered bounties. It's like peeling an onion...there's always another layer full of goodies. Cantiasay is only one of 54 barangays in all of Surigao City yet it's a world all its own - the seafood is as fresh as it gets, the people are hospitable and warm, you spend an afternoon on the quaint wooden bridge, dive its coral reef and rinse it all off on the waterfall. Cantiasay is indeed a gem!
ps - If you want me to objectively cover the features of your city or municipality or barangay for this website (fiesta, waterfall, mountain trail, lake, river, cave, food, islands, beach, etc.), email me.
(includes lunch, island boat ride, dinner, lodging and breakfast)
To make arrangements for the tour, contact:
Surigao Tourism Office
- boat tour on Rasa Island's mangrove forest
- snorkeling on Nonoc's pristine coral reef inclusive of boat-towing
- beach bumming at Dinayhugan Beach with prepared lunch
- trek to Cantiasay Falls
- promenading on Cantiasay Bridge
(086)826.8064 / (086)231.7228 | email: email@example.com
- take a tricycle from Surigao City and ask to dropped off at Pantalan 2
- take the Cantiasay-bound pumpboat, 55 mins, P50/pax, 12:00 noon departure, only one trip/day
- *** boat from Cantiasay to Surigao City leaves 7:00 am - this means you'll have to stay overnight at Nonoc Island
- there is no lodging in Cantiasay. Lodging is done in Brgy. Nonoc's guest house. Best to make arrangements with the Surigao City Tourism Office: phone: (086)826.8064 / (086)231.7228 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- you can bring a mountain bike and try the trail system
- bring a hammock
- bring a headlamp - electricity is only from 6pm to 10 pm
- don't forget to bring your snorkeling gear
- bring some vinegar with you and all the trimmings for a lato salad!
Surigao del Norte
Goodbye Surigao July 23, 2013
Island Hopping Adventures in Tagana-an, Surigao del Norte July 23-25, 2013
Exploring Siargao's Cloud 9 July 18-20, 2013
Judging Del Carmen's Beauty Pagent and Street Dancing July 15-16, 2013
Rite of Passage on Cantrasa Shoal Jul 12, 2013
Diving the Reef of Cagtinae, Surigao del Norte Jul 7, 2013
Karma Yoga in Surigao City July 5, 2013
The Wooden Footbridge and Waterfall of Cantiasay, Surigao City July 1, 2013
Outdoor Adventure Tour in Nonoc Island, Surigao City Jul 1-2, 2013
The Deadly Bitaugan Whirlpool of Surigao City Jun 26, 2013
Beaching it at Pebble Beach and Looc Beach, Surigao City Jun 22-24, 2013
Exploring Silop Cave of Surigao City Jun 22, 2013
Surigao City Flow Jun 22, 2013
Free-Diving the Coral Reef of Birok Islet, Surigao City June 12, 2013
Boat Ride through the Floating Village of Day-asan June 12, 2013
Surprising Twist in Surigao City May 28, 2013
(along the Surigao coastline from Surigao City to Surigao del Sur)
- Rite of Passage on Cantrasa Shoal Jul 12, 2013
- Karma Yoga in Surigao City July 5, 2013
- The Wooden Footbridge and Waterfall of Cantiasay, Surigao City July 1, 2013
- Outdoor Adventure Tour in Nonoc Island, Surigao City Jul 1-2, 2013
- The Deadly Bitaugan Whirlpool of Surigao City Jun 26, 2013
- Beaching it at Pebble Beach and Looc Beach, Surigao City Jun 22-24, 2013
- Exploring Silop Cave of Surigao City Jun 22, 2013
- Free-Diving the Coral Reef of Birok Islet, Surigao City June 12, 2013
- Boat Ride through the Floating Village of Day-asan June 12, 2013
- Island Hopping Adventures in Tagana-an, Surigao del Norte July 23-25, 2013
- Exploring Siargao's Cloud 9 July 18-20, 2013
- Judging Del Carmen's Beauty Pagent and Street Dancing July 15-16, 2013
- Diving the Reef of Cagtinae, Surigao del Norte Jul 7, 2013
- Ayoke Island May 27, 2013
- Casarica Island May 27, 2013
- General Island May 27, 2013
- Sua Cold Spring - in Brgy Esperanza. From main highway, get off at Madrid terminal and take motorcycle ride for the spring. If coming from Lanuza, get off at crossing of Cangcaban then take habal-habal for the spring
- Hubason River May 18, 2013
- Lanuza Marine Park and Sanctuary May 17, 2013 - coral reef, snorkeling, cafe. Also a short walk to Magkawas Falls.
- Magkawas Falls in Lanuza, Surigao del Sur May 16, 2013
- Silop Spring May 16, 2013
- Campamento Cave May 16, 2013
- Herrera Ancestral Home
- Lubcon Falls - from Tandag, take jeep for Cantilan or Cortes and ask the driver to drop you off at Lubcon Falls, P25, 30 mins, 15 kms
- Burgos Togonan Falls
- Laswitan - strong waves crashing against the rocks and spilling over to fill up a rock pool (while you're dipping in it)
- Campiri Rocks - going over huge boulders, dipping in a rock pool, standing on a rock summit as waves hits and splash against it, and to cap all, you rest on the base of the light house perched on top of the rocks in full view of the magnificent Pacific Ocean
- Bakwitan Cave - a refuge by the towns folk during the Japanese occupation and during the typhoon of 2004
- Buybuyan Beach - small beach, almost like a personal beach, fine white sand (there are no commercial establishments on the beach...its undeveloped)
- Sihagan Beach - fine white sand for long walks on a beach (there are no commercial establishments on the beach...its undeveloped)
- Uba Marine Sanctuaries - scuba dive with gear from the LGU. At P250 per dive, you can't beat it!
- Capandan Marine Sanctuaries - scuba dive with gear from the LGU. At P250 per dive, you can't beat it!
- Balibadon Marine Sanctuary
- Mabahin Marine Sanctuary
- Tigao Marine Sanctuary
- Poblacion Marine Sanctuary
- Exploring Dayao Cave of Tandag, Surigao del Sur May 12, 2013
- Brgy. Bongtud - Twin Linungao Island, Mancagangi Island & MPA (Marine Protected Area - fish sanctuary)
- white sand beaches
- Britania Islets May 6-8, 2013 - small islets dotting the bay. Island tour, beach, mangrove forest.
- Enchanted River May 6, 2013
- Sibadan Fish Cage May 5, 2013
- Tinuy-an Falls
(Jul 2, 2013) Like I said before, you are livin' the life buddy!
(Jul 2, 2013) TheLoneRider...enjoying the hydro massage
(Jul 2, 2013) nice shot Gigit!
July 1, 2013
»» next Traveling story: Karma Yoga in Surigao City
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
ALL YEARS |