May 21, 2016
Phan District, Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
GPS waypoint: 19°32'51.4"N 99°44'28.2"E
Phan District is 40 kms south of Chiang Rai City to the south. It is off the beaten tourist path. There are some expats, but they live here. Nearly all the signs are in Thai. Like most Thai offerings, there are numerous temples, good cheap eats and a few natural features like a waterfall and caves. People in Phan are honest - you need to lock your bike!
Phan District, Thailand
Wat Ket Kaeo
- Phan is not a tourist destination. The few foreigners you see here are expats who chose to live here. The closest big city is Chiang Rai, one hour north.
This is more complicated even though Phan is closer to Chiang Mai than Chiang Rai. There are 3 ways.
- Go to Chiang Rai Bus Station 1 (the old one) and catch a van for Phan, B40, one hour. The van will pass through the main road of Phan
- Direct - you get on the bus in Phan and you get off in Chiang Mai. But this is the longest route because the bus makes a circular route south passing through Payao, Lampan, Lamphun before it reaches Chiang Mai - B165, 5 hours!
- via Chiang Rai - you can take many buses going north to Chiang Rai (B40, one hour), and transfer to a bus there for Chiang Mai (3 hours)
- via Mae Lao - (recommended) at the old market, ride a blue songthaew headed for Mae Lao (30 mins, B25). Ask to be dropped off the main intersection where you walk about 200 meters towards 7-11 to catch the Green Bus for Chiang Mai (2.5 hours, B166). You'll arrive at the Chiang Mai Bus Terminal 3 (aka Arcade). You'll need to ride a red songthaew to get to the city center (10 min, B50)
- Nam Lot and the Pha Khong Caves - 15 kms from town center
- Pha Khong Waterfall - this is not too far from the twin caves
- Yoga with Amm Prajna Pitchaya and the Sivananda yoga community of Phan May 16-18, 2016
- Visiting the Nam Lot and the Pha Khong Caves of Phan District May 18, 2016
May 21, 2016
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage