Aug 3-4, 2012
Apo Island with Amanda Ackiss
GPS waypoint: 9°04'54.0"N 123°16'13.4"E
Location: Apo Island, Negros Oriental
When I permanently left Dumaguete 4 months earlier to drift around the country with no home, I thought it would be a long time before I visit Dumaguete again. I traveled to Cebu and Manila, but before I knew it, I was back in Dumaguete. Before I could even settle down for a place to stay, marine biologist Amanda Ackiss invited me to tag along her to Apo Island for her continuing genetics research. I've tagged along with her in the previous year with another marine biologist, Katherine Cure. You can call me the tag-along guy. Apo Island...yes!
Thank you Amanda! Until the next dive :)
(US$1 = Php 45.26 as of July 7, 2015)
- Apo Island boasts of having the freshest fish on your plate - avail of it!
- even though a marine sanctuary, fishing is still allowed in Apo Island, providing livelihood to the locals - but controlled fishing
- electricity is only from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- internet is painfully slow and intermittent when on
- public eating areas are hardly available except from resorts where guests are checked-in
- drinking water is still sourced from the mainland
- medium boat ride from Malatapay to Apo Island up to 4 people, roundtrip (Php 2000/boat)
- big boat ride from Malatapay to Apo Island up to 8 people, roundtrip (Php 3000/boat)
- open water dives (average, Php1000/dive)
- take a tricycle and ask to be dropped-off the jeep terminal going to Zamboanguita (the terminal is near Robinson's Plaza) - P8.
- at the terminal, board the next jeep for Zamboanguita. Just tell the driver to drop you off at the Malatapay Market. P20, 42 minutes.
- upon disembarking at Malatapay, walk towards the beach until you come upon the pier office. This is where you sign up for a boat ride. They're organized here with posted rates.
- get onboard the pumpboat and enjoy the boat ride. For 4 people, P2000 return. For 8 pax, P3000 return, 40 minutes. (rate as of Nov 2011)
- Goodbye Apo Island Apr 23, 2017
- Freediving Certification Course in Apo Island with Jean-Jacques Gautier of Plongeurs du Monde Apr 11-22, 2017
- Scuba Diving in Apo Island Apr 13-23, 2017
- Teaching Yoga in Apo Island Apr 10-22, 2017
- Hiking in Apo Island Apr 17, 2017
- Revisiting Apo Island Apr 10, 2017
- Scuba Diving Apo Island with Mario's Scuba Diving and Homestay June 14-17, 2015
- Apo Island with Amanda Ackiss Aug 3-4, 2012
- Sunrise Dive, Apo Island Aug 21, 2011
- Free Diving at Mamsa Point, Apo Island Aug 20, 2011
- Open Water Diver Certification in Apo Island with Mario Pascobello May 15-19, 2011
- Back to Apo Island - Mar 26, 2011
- Apo Island with Bianca and Gianne - Oct 14, 2010
- Skin Diving at Apo Island - Apr 17-18, 2010
Aug 3-4, 2012
»» next story: Zip Lining at Lake Balanan, Siaton, Negros Oriental
»» next Snorkeling story: Beach Life and Free-Diving in Moalboal, Cebu
»» back to Snorkeling
»» back to Homepage