Bangkok is practically the destination hub of travelers plying Southeast Asia. This is a place people don't tire of coming back to - me included. It's a party place,a place for food, it's a place for temples with its rich history, a place for devotion to the Buddha and it's a place for culture. Racial diversity is more a norm given all the people from all over the world crowding into it.
In Bangkok, the backpacker hub is without question, Khao San Road. It's dynamic and eclectic where everything is happening all the same time. It is to be experienced.
Bangkok Blogs by TheLoneRider
Sunday Visit to Chatuchak Weekend Market(July 17, 2018) No visit to Bangkok is complete without a visit to the very popular Chatuchak Weekend Market. Chatuchak is HUGE, spanning 35 acres and claims to be the world's biggest weekend market. It has 15,000 stalls and receives 200,000 visitors per week!....more »»
Post-India Bangkok IV(July 10, 2018) After a 29-hour stay in India's New Delhi airport, I was so relieved to be in Bangkok, Thailand! I thought India wouldn't let go of me! This is my 4th time in Bangkok and it's still exciting - the food scene, the vibrant city energy, the cool Thais, etc. I'm already thinking, I can live here!....more »»
Loving Bangkok All Over Again
(Feb 22-26, 2016) Before my 3-month monastic life in Pak Chong, I stayed 4 days in Bangkok and rediscovered its magic all over again. The food, the energy, the abundance and the promise it brings....make it all overwhelming. I love Bangkok!....more »»
Adventure Hostel Review
(Feb 22-26, 2016) An objective review of Adventure Hostel, a dorm-style backpacker hostel by the N7 BTS Train Station near Chatuchak Weekend Market....more »»
Hotel Review: Riva Surya Bangkok
(Oct. 20, 2014) Hotel review of Riva Surya Bangkok, a luxury boutique hotel located around the animated Khaosan district of Bangkok....more »»
The Shopping Malls of Bangkok
(Oct 6-20, 2014) I could be staying on an island or up in the mountains for months - no movie house, no exotic cars passing by, no urban nightlife. When in a city, I make the most out of it. Malls? Yeah, bring it on!....more »»
Bangkok's Street Food Delight
(Oct 6-20, 2014) Street-food eating comes alive in Bangkok - cheap, delicious, no tummy issues and it's everywhere 24/7....more »»
Bangkok Revisited 3
(Oct 6-20, 2014) Bangkok is one place you'll never tire to visit. This is my third and it won't be my last. This time though, I have 20 days to explore the place on my own - no girlfriend, no production crew.....more »»
First Timer in Bangkok
(December 31, 2005 - January 3, 2006) Mimsy, my dearly beloved Goddess, took me to Bangkok for a New Year treat! Except for Muay Thai, durian and 'The King and I', I didn't know anything about Bangkok - but I was always curious. Bangkok with someone special to me, the coming New Year could not have been more promising..more »»
Bangkok Cost Index, (US$1 = Baht 33.244 = Php 53.510 as of July 11, 2018)
- Bht 60 sm, 90 big one mug draft beer
- Bht 13 1.5 liter drinking water
- Bht 220 one hour massage
- Bht 60-80 muesli breakfast
- Bht 60-80 tom yum soup in modest eatery
- Bht 25-30 coffee
- Bht 30-50 pad thai
- Bht 350 Adventure Hostel lodging
- Bht 20-30/load laundry, coin operated machine
- Bht 7 bus ride
How to Get around Bangkok
- You can get around Bangkok using the trains, buses, tuk-tuks or the boat. Here is the transport map to give you a heads-up.
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | ALL BLOGS