June 4, 2020
Nong Khai Street Art
Location : Nong Khai, Thailand
Everywhere I seem to go now, I see street art on an outdoor wall. Of course Penang street art is the default ground-zero, but it's a pleasant surprise to stumble upon street art when you're not expecting it. In Nong Khai, street art is a fringe phenomenon but maybe it becomes a trend.
I Photoshopped myself into the wall art. It came out OK after a few trials. Then I had a few AHA Moments after that, as follows:
- lastly, I thought about offering my Photoshop service by printing my final wall-art picture, posting it on the wall with info on how to get in touch with me if they are interested in having one Photoshopped for them. So, I had it printed, bought wall tape, and plastic cover (to protect from rain).
Blending Your Picture into the Wall Art
Posing with the mural doesn't offer a realistic effect - I tried a few times. What worked was to take the following steps:
- take a separate shot of yourself, preferably against a white background for easy cropping
- crop yourself out of the picture
- copy-and-paste your picture on the wall art picture
- adjust for size, rotation, color and perspective
- you can stop here, but your picture will look like a photograph that was 'pasted' on the wall. You want it to blend into the wall art - to look like it was part of the original art.
- finally, and this is the hardest part, apply Photoshop filters to make your picture appear to be a part of the original street art. There is no one approach. Every picture presents a different challenge.
- if you get frustrated, I can do it for you. Email me your picture and I'll get back to you with a firm quotation and a time frame.
If I make money from anyone who wants their picture done, nice! But my main goal was to act according to my AHA Moment with no attachment whatsoever to the outcome. Performing due-diligence was far more important than the expected revenue outcome. This compliance tells my universe I'm listening and willing to give the time and effort. By doing this, more AHA Moments usually come. AHA Moments beget AHA Moments.
Far from being mainstream, Nong Khai street art is nowhere except on 3 obscure locations. But it's a promising start. Given the right push, it could snowball into a trend that might give Penang a run for its money. I won't give out the locations - make it an Easter Egg hunt. It's fun. Good luck!
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
(Jun 6, 2020) aka.Keith Haring.all brothers
(Jun 6, 2020) I had to look up "Keith Haring". So, he's the one behind those iconic drawings 🙂
(Jun 6, 2020) Oh your hair is so strange 🙂
(Jun 6, 2020) Using a headband now. When you see me again, I'll look like a hippie....long and shaggy hair 🙂
(Jun 6, 2020) a new nice style. I love it 🙂
Leave a comment?
Nong Khai Travel Information / Tips
Vientiane to Nong Khai by bus
At the Khua Din Bus Terminal, you can board the #14 bus bound for Buddha Park. It will make a stop on the Friendship Bridge border - 15 mins, B8000. Go to Laos Immigration to exit. Board the special bus to cross the Friendship Bridge, Kip 4,000 or Baht 20. It will stop at Thai Immigration. Get processed. From there, board a tuk-tuk for Nong Khai, 5kms.
Nong Khai Attractions
- Nong Khai Aquarium -
- Salakaewkoo (Wat Khaek) -
- Issan Rum Distillery -
- Wat Pho Chai -
- Lan Phaya Nak -
- Tha Sadet Market -
- Nong Khai Muay Thai Gym -
- Phrathat Bang Phuan -
Nong Khai Blogs by TheLoneRider
- Nong Khai - Chiang Khan Roadtrip June 18, 2020
- Life in Nong Khai Mar 13 - June 18, 2020
- Peoplescape of Nong Khai Jun 17, 2020
- Exploring Nong Khai's Cafe Culture Jun 10, 2020
- Nong Khai Street Art June 4, 2020
- Sirsasana A & B May 20, 2020
- Structured Water, Water Therapy and Nauli May 1, 2020
- Visiting the Salakaewkoo (Buddha Park) in Nong Khai, Thailand Apr 23, 2020
- Fitness in Quarantine Times Apr 20, 2020
- Covid 19: Lion - Buffalo Analogy Apr 13, 2020
- Covid 19 and the Conspiracies Mar - Apr, 2020
- Nong Khai with Cheng Mar 18 - Apr ???, 2020
- Covid 19 and Pranayama Mar 20, 2020
- Giant Mekong Catfish at the Nong Khai Aquarium Mar 19, 2020
- Drawn to Nong Khai, Thailand Mar 12, 2020
Travel Tips for Thailand
How to Get a 60-Day Thai Tourist Visa and then Extend by another 30 Days
- Bring the following to the Thai embassy:
a) proof of money (bank statement will suffice)
b) flight booking to Thailand
c) onward flight back to your country from Thailand
d) filled-in tourist visa form
e) 2 passport pictures
f) hotel booking in Thailand (they didn't ask me for this but better be safe)
g) passport with at least 6 months validity
- After handing over all the documents, they will ask you to come pick your passport with the visa the following day from 4 to 5pm. That's it!
- NOTE: after 2 successful attempts, I was already questioned the 3rd time.
60-Day Thai Tourist Visa
NOTE: There is no need to go back to your country to get the Thai tourist visa. Any major city with a Thai Embassy will do. Apparently there is also no need to have an invitation from a Thai establishment to justify the visa.
- bring the following to the Immigration Office:
a) passport (make sure your Tourist Visa hasn't expired yet)
b) Baht 1900
c) photocopy of your passport + visa duration date stamp + TM6 card (white immigration card) and sign all the copies
d) completed TM7 visa extension form (available at the Immigration Office)
e) one 4cmx6cm passport picture
- submit the above to the Front Desk. They will give you a stub with your number on it. Take a seat and wait for your number to be called
- when your number is called, your picture will be taken. Then go back to your seat. They will call you again.
- when they call you again, they'll give you your passport with your extended visa. That's it!
- when there are no lines, the whole process can take only 10 minutes
NOTE: When your 60-day visa is close to expiry and you want to extend your stay. No need to leave Thailand.
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
»» next story: Exploring Nong Khai's Cafe Culture
»» back to Art
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | ALL BLOGS