Apr 17, 2018
Hatha Yoga with Madhab Prasad Dhakal at Sawar Yoga Studio, Kathmandu
Location: Sawar Yoga Studio, Kathmandu (city), Nepal
Teacher: Madhab Prasad Dhakal
Hours: 6:30am to 9:30am and 4pm to 7pm, daily
Services Offered: yoga, meditation, pranayama, reiki, astrology, ayurveda, teacher training
Tel: +977 98490 08223
Yoga in Kathmandu
Feeling settled in Kathmandu, I wrote to several yoga studios introducing myself and informing them what I can do for them - teach a class, write about a class, fix their yoga website, etc. One of the studios that replied was Madhab Prasad Dhakal of Sawar Yoga Studio.
Mahayogi Guru Gorakhnath
Madhab's Hatha Yoga is guru-based. We chanted with the guru's name and he said a lot invoking his guru. He explained the lineage of his yoga coming from a sage named - Mahayogi Guru Gorakhnath. I wish I understood everything he said, but English wasn't his first language.
The session started with a lot of stretches to warm the body up. Breathing was integral into the poses. On a lot of poses where it was held, the breathing was also held - technically, a Kumbhaka. The session was easy perhaps due to a majority of the attendees being first timers. No difficult poses but more on stretching, limbering and a little cardio (high knee taps, butt kicks, etc.)I would be more interested in the intermediate level of Madhab's Hatha Yoga where I find myself a little out of my comfort zone. A few fumbling and stumbling on my part tells me I'm deepening my practice.
Madhab wanted to involve me in his ambitious project in propagating his yoga - a global presence for a global reach. I was confident how useful I could be, but begged off. It would have demanded a lot from me and for that kind of involvement, I would need more connection with him and his practice - which I didn't get.
His yoga is a little different from what I've seen in the usual studios, but not necessarily different from what I do with my own practice. When not doing asana, I default to cardio workouts, calisthenics and isometrics, all of them synchronizing breath with movement. Madhab's yoga had a little of bit of those elements. More critically however, it was the language barrier that proved most challenging. With yoga cuing, what I find more important is the verbal articulation of the subtleties of breath, movement and mindfulness. This can only be achieved when language is not a barrier.
Thank you Madhab for accommodating me in your class.
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Next stop: Vinyasa Yoga with Dipendra at the Mandala Yoga Studio and Spa, Kathmandu
Kathmandu (city), Nepal
Travel Tips for Kathmandu
- Kathmandu is dusty and you'll need a mask
- if on a budget, cheap staple comfort food in Kathmandu is momo, local price in local eateries at NPR 60/10 pieces
How to get to Thamel (Kathmandu) from the Tribhuvan International Airport
- You can take a cab for about $7
- Airport by bus to Thamel (Ratna Park Bus terminal)
But if you want to save money and don't mind roughing it, you can take a bus. Walk out of the airport and turn left on the rotunda just outside the airport gate. This takes you to the main road where buses ply. The bus signs are in Nepali, but you can hear the bus conductor shouting, "Ratna Park". NPR 20, 30 minutes
Travel Tips for Nepal
- tourist visa up to 15 days = $25, up to 30 days = $40, up to 90 days = $100, transit = $5, and they will accept currencies from 18 countries
- best to register for a tourist visa online (http://online.nepalimmigration.gov.np/tourist-visa). This saves you time, trouble and the hassle of bringing in a picture with you. You get the approved form printed and just show it to the Immigration guys in Kathmandu
- NPR (Nepalese Rupee) 100 = US$1
- nearly every food served is spicy...there is no escaping it
Nepal Blogs by TheLoneRider
- Visiting Boudhanath, Nepal's Largest Stupa Apr 19, 2018
- Vinyasa Yoga with Dipendra at the Mandala Yoga Studio and Spa, Kathmandu Apr 18, 2018
- Hatha Yoga with Madhab Prasad Dhakal at Sawar Yoga Studio, Kathmandu Apr 17, 2018
- Fitness in Kathmandu Apr 15, 2018
- 7 Days In Kathmandu April 13-20, 2018
- The 18-Hour Trip from Kuantan, Malaysia to Kathmandu, Nepal April 12-13, 2018
- India Visa Snag May 9, 2018
- Exploring Lumbini - Buddha's Birthplace May 5, 2018
- Storming out of Dhamma Janani on the 4th Day May 1-5, 2018
- Visiting Gupteshwor Mahadev Cave, Pokhara Apr 26, 2018
- Exploring Devi's Falls, Pokhara Apr 26, 2018
- Trekking to the World Peace Pagoda Apr 26, 2018
- Exploring Pokhara, Nepal Apr 20, 2018
»» next Yoga story: Vinyasa Yoga with Dipendra at the Mandala Yoga Studio and Spa, Kathmandu
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | ALL BLOGS