Apr 18, 2018
Vinyasa Yoga with Dipendra at the Mandala Yoga Studio and Spa, Kathmandu
Location: Mandala Yoga Studio and Spa, Kathmandu (city), Nepal
Services Offered: yoga, meditation, spa, healing therapy, sauna, beauty parlour
Tel: +977 1 4701322
Yoga type: Vinyasa
When I wrote the owner of Mandala Yoga for a possible collaboration, he responded positively, "...glad to know about you and you are welcome to my Studio any time." That statement already said a lot of things: 1) he is forward thinking and 2) he gets it, so I didn't really have to explain a whole new concept. I like people like that who see the big picture and act accordingly (instead of sitting on the fence or getting stuck in petty details).
The studio has several teachers. Based on ease of schedule, I chose the afternoon class which was taught by Dipendra. He's a tall Indian looking guy with a disarming smile and reassuring presence. I've already heard from the staff he was good. He started the class by asking if anyone had injuries, and gave helpful tips on how to manage it.
The yoga class was a Vinyasa - asanas woven into a seamless flow, synchronizing breath with movement. The attendees were a mixed bag - proficient practitioners, regulars nursing an injury, practitioners who haven't done it in a while and beginners. That's a tough balancing act for any teacher - finding that middle ground to keep everyone happy. Dipendra had good instincts and kept the challenge at a consistent level. He was doing nearly all the asanas while verbally articulating the movements. At times, it felt he was too absorbed in the pose I could not clearly discern what he was saying.
It would have been an easy class but with my allergy from Kathmandu's dust, I could not feel my strength. I struggled, forcing my body to do the most simple asana. It was a sign for me to leave Kathmandu and forfeit the other classes I wanted to attend.
The session ended with everybody feeling positive and happy about being on the mat. I even got to talk to one of the attendees, Sofia. Dipendra was very accommodating and remained open to a possible coffee meet-up. Unfortunately, that didn't happen as my allergy was worsening, making my departure quick and imperative. I wish I met Biren though. He seems to be that chap I'd enjoy having a beer or coffee with across the table.
Thank you Biren and Dipendra. I honor the light that resides within you.
Yoga & Fitness Website: YOGA by Gigit
Next stop: Visiting Boudhanath, Nepal's Largest Stupa
Kathmandu (city), Nepal
Travel Tips for Kathmandu
- Kathmandu is dusty and you'll need a mask
- if on a budget, cheap staple comfort food in Kathmandu is momo, local price in local eateries at NPR 60/10 pieces
How to get to Thamel (Kathmandu) from the Tribhuvan International Airport
- You can take a cab for about $7
- Airport by bus to Thamel (Ratna Park Bus terminal)
But if you want to save money and don't mind roughing it, you can take a bus. Walk out of the airport and turn left on the rotunda just outside the airport gate. This takes you to the main road where buses ply. The bus signs are in Nepali, but you can hear the bus conductor shouting, "Ratna Park". NPR 20, 30 minutes
Travel Tips for Nepal
- tourist visa up to 15 days = $25, up to 30 days = $40, up to 90 days = $100, transit = $5, and they will accept currencies from 18 countries
- best to register for a tourist visa online (http://online.nepalimmigration.gov.np/tourist-visa). This saves you time, trouble and the hassle of bringing in a picture with you. You get the approved form printed and just show it to the Immigration guys in Kathmandu
- NPR (Nepalese Rupee) 100 = US$1
- nearly every food served is spicy...there is no escaping it
Nepal Blogs by TheLoneRider
- Visiting Boudhanath, Nepal's Largest Stupa Apr 19, 2018
- Vinyasa Yoga with Dipendra at the Mandala Yoga Studio and Spa, Kathmandu Apr 18, 2018
- Hatha Yoga with Madhab Prasad Dhakal at Sawar Yoga Studio, Kathmandu Apr 17, 2018
- Fitness in Kathmandu Apr 15, 2018
- 7 Days In Kathmandu April 13-20, 2018
- The 18-Hour Trip from Kuantan, Malaysia to Kathmandu, Nepal April 12-13, 2018
- India Visa Snag May 9, 2018
- Exploring Lumbini - Buddha's Birthplace May 5, 2018
- Storming out of Dhamma Janani on the 4th Day May 1-5, 2018
- Visiting Gupteshwor Mahadev Cave, Pokhara Apr 26, 2018
- Exploring Devi's Falls, Pokhara Apr 26, 2018
- Trekking to the World Peace Pagoda Apr 26, 2018
- Exploring Pokhara, Nepal Apr 20, 2018
»» next story: Visiting Boudhanath, Nepal's Largest Stupa
»» next Yoga story: Bouncing Back into Yoga in Rishikesh
»» back to Yoga
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | ALL BLOGS