Apr 15, 2018
Fitness in Kathmandu
Location: 8848 Hostel, Thamel (neighborhood), Kathmandu (city), Nepal
Yoga & Fitness Website: YOGA by Gigit
Roof Deck Workout
With my daily workout in Kuantan, I didn't want the momentum to simmer down. As soon as I got settled in Kathmandu, I looked for a possible space - a park? big open space? I couldn't find any. A park system would be too dusty. The best spot I could find was on the roof deck of my lodging, 8848 Hostel. The space was limited, but I had a good view of street life below.
As good fortune would have it, while I was doing my workout, Coky, a professional photographer from Indonesia, was also on the roof deck and took a few shots of me. We later talked and he was kind enough to offer a yoga video shoot the following day. What you see below is the awesome result. Can't thank you enough, Coky. Safe travels...until our paths cross again.
Braving the Cold
It was easy to get lazy. Kathmandu is cold - very conducive to extending sleep while tucked-in under a thick comforter. It was equally challenging to warm-up a cold body. I ensured my warm-ups were adequate and progressive. I'd build-up heat, limber up and feel my body getting loose. At some point, it even felt comfortable taking my shirt off.
I'd start on my stretches...as long as an hour if that's what it takes. I would follow it up with calisthenics - push-ups, Lolasana (lifted abdominal tuck), one-legged squats and even wall-supported inversions. I would finish up with Pranayama and Meditation like I always do.
Having done my workout first thing in the morning, the rest of the day feels like gravy. I can't imagine a better way to bid the day, "I'm awake, bring it on!"
Taking my fitness as a religious way of life, I feel strong, I remain young and I don't get sick. With pranayama and meditation, I keep the balance of my mind. Health is not just about living long or not being sick...it's about living life in full vitality!
pictures by Coky Putra
(Apr 23, 2018) Omg! I have lost touch with where u are! U left PI? Wow! Sharing ur video! 🙂 🙏
(Apr 23, 2018) Intense!
(Apr 23, 2018) Stunning. I wish it was little longer
(Apr 23, 2018) of course... haha. love it. i wish it was longer but what it is, is super cool. I also like that at the end, a pigeon seems to be joining you in standing tree pose 🙂 Also your new friend is very talented. It has the feel of a trailer for a documentary, or perhaps the intro to a music video. nice
(Apr 23, 2018) Bitin man sir hehe pro super WOW!
(Apr 23, 2018) too short video. a min will be awesome.
(Apr 23, 2018) Super cool, Gigit! 🙂
(Apr 22, 2018) Beautiful but short video! The lolasana video gave me a little heart attack. Keep safe.
Next stop: Hatha Yoga with Madhab Prasad Dhakal at Sawar Yoga Studio, Kathmandu
Kathmandu (city), Nepal
Travel Tips for Kathmandu
- Kathmandu is dusty and you'll need a mask
- if on a budget, cheap staple comfort food in Kathmandu is momo, local price in local eateries at NPR 60/10 pieces
How to get to Thamel (Kathmandu) from the Tribhuvan International Airport
- You can take a cab for about $7
- Airport by bus to Thamel (Ratna Park Bus terminal)
But if you want to save money and don't mind roughing it, you can take a bus. Walk out of the airport and turn left on the rotunda just outside the airport gate. This takes you to the main road where buses ply. The bus signs are in Nepali, but you can hear the bus conductor shouting, "Ratna Park". NPR 20, 30 minutes
Travel Tips for Nepal
- tourist visa up to 15 days = $25, up to 30 days = $40, up to 90 days = $100, transit = $5, and they will accept currencies from 18 countries
- best to register for a tourist visa online (http://online.nepalimmigration.gov.np/tourist-visa). This saves you time, trouble and the hassle of bringing in a picture with you. You get the approved form printed and just show it to the Immigration guys in Kathmandu
- NPR (Nepalese Rupee) 100 = US$1
- nearly every food served is spicy...there is no escaping it
Nepal Blogs by TheLoneRider
- Visiting Boudhanath, Nepal's Largest Stupa Apr 19, 2018
- Vinyasa Yoga with Dipendra at the Mandala Yoga Studio and Spa, Kathmandu Apr 18, 2018
- Hatha Yoga with Madhab Prasad Dhakal at Sawar Yoga Studio, Kathmandu Apr 17, 2018
- Fitness in Kathmandu Apr 15, 2018
- 7 Days In Kathmandu April 13-20, 2018
- The 18-Hour Trip from Kuantan, Malaysia to Kathmandu, Nepal April 12-13, 2018
- India Visa Snag May 9, 2018
- Exploring Lumbini - Buddha's Birthplace May 5, 2018
- Storming out of Dhamma Janani on the 4th Day May 1-5, 2018
- Visiting Gupteshwor Mahadev Cave, Pokhara Apr 26, 2018
- Exploring Devi's Falls, Pokhara Apr 26, 2018
- Trekking to the World Peace Pagoda Apr 26, 2018
- Exploring Pokhara, Nepal Apr 20, 2018
»» next story: Hatha Yoga with Madhab Prasad Dhakal at Sawar Yoga Studio, Kathmandu
»» next Fitness story: Rope Skipping, 4mins Full-on
»» back to Fitness
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | ALL BLOGS