Sep 18, 2016
Downpour in Davao
GPS waypoint: 7°03'51.7"N 125°36'27.8"E
Location: Davao City, Mindanao, Philippines
Not My Usual
It was an unusual evening for me. I had plans to go to Bankerohan for breakfast the following day for Tsokolate and Puto Maya, but I still went there that night anyway for no particular reason. I always bring a ton of my stuff when I leave the hotel - my laptop, my green shoulder bag which is my default survival bag. But this time, I decided not to carry anything with me - not even my phone or my digicam. It wasn't even making sense to me, but I let go and left without my pack anyway.
Ambitious Drainage Project
Davao currently is undergoing an ambitious drainage project. Deep and lengthy excavations have been done to install huge colverts to be used for the new sewer system. The project is in mid-stream with open excavations. Police tape surrounds the perimeter of the excavations but in some areas, the tape was broken.
While in Bankerohan around 7pm, rain started pouring down with a vengeance. It was a freakish torrential downpour that quickly flooded the streets. Lightning strikes were just nearby with a deafening crack. The women had a frightened look while covering their ears. The open excavations could no longer be seen as the flood waters were black from the overflowing sewer combined with flood water. I was inside the public jeep seated beside the driver looking out at the mayhem. Then the horrific thing happened.
taken one day after the downpour...water still collects on the excavation
Falling Through the Open Excavation
A woman trying to cross the street, fell through the excavation. The police tape on that section was broken - thus misleading people to think that that particular section was open for pedestrians. The bystanders risked life and limb as they quickly jumped-in to rescue her. She was immediately pulled out but was still in shock. Without a moment too soon, two more women fell through a different part of the excavation. I could only see the top of their heads as they were completely submerged.
Reflex kicked-in and I jumped out of the jeep into the flood waters to help in the rescue. Other people also came to the rescue. One of the two was pulled up. The other one was drowning. I could only see the top of her head on the water surface. I was already on the edge where the excavation was, but she was still far from my reach. Fortunately, the guy who jumped into the hole was able to push her to the side within my reach. I was able to grab and pull her out of the hole and into safety. I chased after her slipper and gave it to her. She was in shock and catching her breath from the sewer water she probably swallowed. She couldn't be talked to, as she slowly walked away with a dazed look.
My jeep started moving as the light turned green. I quickly returned back to my seat, drenched from the rain and stinky from the sewer water on my soaked shoes. I looked back and saw one guy carrying a straw string apparently to tie-up the broken end of the police line tape. Instead of one ride back to my hotel, it took 3 rides as the jeeps refused to ride the full distance because of flooded streets. I still walked a good deal until I reached my hotel - safe and sound.
Back in the comfort of my hotel, I now realized why I had to go to Bankerohan with nothing in me. Had I brought my laptop with me, there could have been a micro hesitation whether I risk soaking my laptop wet or leave it inside the jeep that might leave without me. There is no such thing as coincidence.
update: I went to Bankerohan again on a few more occassions and from what the nearby vendors told me, they saw as much as 8 people falling through those open excavation on that fateful night.
As I passed by on Oct 30, a day before my departure, I saw the excavation already covered with concrete pavement as the construction project nears its completion.
(Sep 20, 2016) So inspiring Gigit..thanks for sharing your light.
(Sep 19, 2016) I'm glad you were able to help and you are safe.
(Sep 19, 2016) Calling DPWH to fix up their mess. Long overdue. Tnx for highlighting a problem, Git.
Greg & Sally Tree Garden Cafe
(Sep 19, 2016) Admirable. Good job amigo.
(Sep 19, 2016) So, u good?
Sep 18, 2016
Davao City, Philippines
- Bahay ni Tuding - central Poblacion location, wifi, hands-on owner
160 San Pedro Street, 8000 Davao City
0947 361 3544 | 7°03'57.6"N 125°36'28.3"E
- The Pinnacle Hotel and Suites - central location, new management, newly renovated
Sta. Ana Avenue, Davao City 8000, Philippines
(+63) 932-8708621 | 906-3185885 | 7°04'34.2"N 125°36'54.2"E
- The Apo View Hotel - Davao's iconic hotel, old world charm, casino
150 J. Camus Street, Davao City Philippines 8000
+63 (82) 221-6430 to 40 | 7°04'09.2"N 125°36'27.4"E
- North Zen Basic Spaces - great rooms at affordable prices
Sobrecarey St. (corner Lapu-Lapu St.), Davao City, 8000
(082) 295.3997 | 7°04'43.0"N 125°37'04.3"E
- Urban Living Zen Hotel - newly opened - all NEW!
F.s. Dizon Bacaca, 8000 Davao City
(082) 287 3133 | 7°05'28.4"N 125°36'22.3"E
- The Royal Mandaya Hotel - heart of downtown Davao City
J. Palma Gil Street, Davao City, 8000
(+63 82) 225.8888 | 7°04'09.4"N 125°36'36.8"E
- Alu Hotel Davao - central downtown location
M. Roxas Avenue corner Padre Faura Street, Davao
+63 82 227 5232 | 7°04'07.7"N 125°36'51.7"E
- One Oasis Davao - hotel accommodation in a condo unit
Eco-west Drive, Ecoland, Davao City
email@example.com | 0925.500.3211 | 7°02'49.2"N 125°35'19.1"E
- Apollo Van Rental - Davao City tour, Samal Island tour, airport transfer
0925.500.3211 | firstname.lastname@example.org
yoga | health | fitness
- one of the cleanest potable water in the country
- smoking is banned from commercial establishments
- pineapple samurais are endemic here and nowhere else in the country (pineapple vendors who cut-up whole pineapples into chunks with just a few strokes of their carving knives)
- public utility drivers conspicuously display their IDs
- durian Mecca of the Philippines (not to mention Marang, Mangosteen and Sweet Pomelo)
- you want to add some more? please submit on the form below
- the weighing scale of fruit vendors specially the durian push cart vendors are a blatant cheat - showing almost twice the actual weight
- Revisiting Davao Aug 22-Oct 31, 2016
- A Roof Over my Head in Davao Aug 22-Oct 31, 2016
- Davao Yoga Scene Oct 31, 2016
- Pranayama Oct 24, 2016
- Yoga Beyond the Mat Oct 21, 2016
- Grilled Tuna Overload in Davao Oct 13, 2016
- Duterte Mania in Davao Oct 12, 2016
- Sirsasana, Sarvangasana - Yoga Makaranda II Oct 7, 2016
- Tirumalai Krishnamacharya Oct 5, 2016
- Ashtanga Yoga with James Fritz Freire at Holiday Gym and Spa Oct 1, 2016
- There was a Bomb Explosion? Sep 30, 2016
- Jin in Davao Sep 29, 2016
- Scrubs and Hilot at Holiday Gym and Spa Sep 22-29, 2016
- The Fabulous Dabawenyos Aug 22-Sep 26, 2016
- Nirvana Breathing Fitness with Lita C. Quisumbing Sep 21, 2016
- Massage, Sauna and Ear Candling at Holiday Spa and Gym Sep 17-19, 2016
- Downpour in Davao Sep 18, 2016
- Lounge One Yoga Sequence by May Bel Le at North Zen Hotel Sep 16, 2016
- Celebrating Davao's King of Fruits - Durian! Sep 11, 2016
- The Blast that Rocked Davao Sep 2, 2016
- Hatha Flow Yoga with Joanna Lizares Co at Holiday Spa and Gym Aug. 31, 2016
- Conducting a Power Yoga Class at Yoga Davao Aug 29, 2016
- Good Eats with Mel Pangan's Davao Food Tour Aug 26, 2016
- Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) Aug 25, 2016
- A Gifted Dell Laptop from the Usual Suspect Aug. 24, 2016
- The Duterte Phenomenon Oct 21, 2015
- 20 Days in Davao City July 4- 24, 2014
- Goodbye Davao...Again! Sep 28, 2013
- Wine and Cheese at Malagos Farm House Sep 27, 2013
- Custom-made Peanut Butter at Davao City's Bankerohan Market Sep 27, 2013
- Yoga in Davao Sep 26, 2013
- Celebrating 25 Years of Habitat for Humanity Philippines Sep 18, 2013
- Clobbered in a Vicious Karate Match Sep 17, 2013
- Back Into the Black Sep 1, 2013
- No Reply Aug 30, 2013
- Full Body-Cavity Search without the Latex Aug 25, 2013
- Fun Day with Crocodile Sonny and Sports Unlimited Dynamic Duo, Dyan Castillejo and Marc Nelson Aug 15, 2013
- Fun! Fun! at Maxima AquaFun, Samal Island Aug 11, 2013
- Goodbye Davao Jan 22, 2013
- Davao City's Peace and Order Jan 21, 2013
- Holiday Spa Yoga, Davao City Jan 20, 2013
- Free Yoga at People's Park Jan 12, 2013
- Davao City: Family Ties Dec 15-22, 2012
- Breakup Diaries: Chance Encounter in Davao City Dec 19, 2012
- Davao City June 20-23, 2009
- Davao City March 18-20, 2008
- Mount Apo March 15-18, 2008
»» next story: Massage, Sauna and Ear Candling at Holiday Spa and Gym
»» next Slice of Life story: Zesto and Exploited Child Labor
»» back to Slice of Life
»» back to Homepage